LOUISVILLE, KY - NOVEMBER 07:  Bobby Petrino the head coach of the Louisville Cardinals gives instructions to his team during the game against the Syracuse Orange at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Louisville, Kentucky.  (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)
Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images

Arkansas AD Jeff Long will not let past affect how Bobby Petrino viewed in playoff picture

3 Comments

With Louisville ascending quickly out of the gates of the college football season, the early playoff discussions have already begun. Bobby Petrino has seemingly resurrected his career as a head coach after a complete disaster of an off-field situation saw his run at Arkansas crash on the side of the road. Now, with Petrino and the Cardinals very much worth discussing as a legitimate national title contender three weeks into the season, Petrino’s old boss at Arkansas says the past will not affect the present.

Jeff Long, athletics director at Arkansas, of course, is that former boss of Petrino’s. Long may have felt let down by Petrino in the final days of his time as head coach of the Razorbacks, but Long and the rest of the College Football Playoff have one specific job to accomplish at the end of the year; field the best four teams in college football into a College Football Playoff. Long’s past feelings about Petrino will not affect how the Cardinals may or may not be viewed in the national title picture should Louisville be so fortunate to be in such a position at the end of the season.

“No, there’s no reason for me to recuse myself,” Long said, according to the Associated Press. It is standard protocol for any member of the College Football Playoff selection committee with a direct tie to any potential playoff candidate to leave the room during discussion of that specific school. Although Petrino is a former coach at Long’s Arkansas, that does not come into the equation for Long’s role on the committee.”I think Louisville is a fine football program, and they demonstrated that after three weeks of the season. We’ve got six more weeks before we rank a group of teams.”

“I think Louisville is a fine football program, and they demonstrated that after three weeks of the season. We’ve got six more weeks before we rank a group of teams.”

Long, as the chairman of the selection committee, has previously been tasked with addressing the committee’s weekly poll on live television and essentially serve as the face of the committee (that responsibility is now Texas Tech AD Kirby Hocutt‘s). The reaction to some of Long’s comments during the weekly poll explanations have been taken to task a number of times during the past two seasons, but these comments related specifically to Petrino and Louisville are fair and honest. There is no reason Long should be removed from the discussion of Louisville as long as there is no evidence suggesting Long still has an ax to grind with Petrino. We are more than a few years removed from Petrino’s last stint at Arkansas, so as long as the water has passed under the bridge, Long should remain on the selection committee if and when Louisville is discussed.

USC star Adoree’ Jackson declares for 2017 NFL Draft

LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 26:     Adoree' Jackson #2 of the USC Trojans gets to the 15 yard line on a kick off return before he is stopped by Te'von Coney #4 of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in the first half of the game at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on November 26, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images)
Photo by Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images
Leave a comment

One of college football’s most versatile players in the country is taking his game to the next level. Adoree’ Jackson of USC announced, via Twitter, he is declaring for the 2017 NFL Draft.

Jackson leaves USC as a highly-decorated player and leaves behind a legacy of versatility on the football field. Jackson was named the 2016 Jim Thorpe Award winner and was a consensus All-American and Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year. He was a threat on defense and special teams and even dabbled in offense at times. In the NFL, it is expected he will stick to defense and perhaps get a chance to play some special teams, which makes him a valuable asset in the draft.

NCAA denies appeal for extra year for Louisiana-Lafayette QB Anthony Jennings

NEW ORLEANS, LA - DECEMBER 17: Xavier Thigpen #32 of the Southern Miss Golden Eagles and Ja'Boree Poole #85 pressure Anthony Jennings #11 of the Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin Cajuns during the first half of a game at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on December 17, 2016 in New Orleans, Louisiana.  (Photo by Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The football-playing career for Louisiana-Lafayette quarterback Anthony Jennings has officially come to a close. An appeal for an extra year of eligibility was denied by the NCAA, according to coach Mark Hudspeth.

I’m very disappointed for Anthony,” Hudspeth told The Daily Advertiser. “I would’ve loved to have seen what he could’ve done with a year under his belt in our system.”

Getting an extra year for Jennings was believed to be a long shot, but there is no harm in trying. According to The Daily Advertiser, the case for Jennings was focused on Jennings being used sparingly during the 2015 season as a junior at LSU. Jennings appeared in two games for the Tigers in 2015 and recorded no stats. He transferred to Louisiana-Lafayette at the end of the 2015 season and was given a chance to play a significant role with the Ragin’ Cajuns.

Louisiana-Lafayette now has a bit of a concern at quarterback for the upcoming season. The program returns reserve options Jordan Davis, Dion Ray and Jake Arceneaux, who redshirted last season. All three will be expected to be given a chance to compete starting this spring for the starting job this fall.

Vols add UNC DB coach Charlton Warren to coaching staff

KNOXVILLE, TN - SEPTEMBER 7:  A Tennessee Volunteer holds up his helmet in the team huddle before the NCAA football game against the Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders at Neyland Stadium on September 7, 2002 in Knoxville, Tennessee. Tennessee won 26-3. (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Photo by Elsa/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Following a somewhat disappointing season in Knoxville, changes are in the air for the Tennessee Vols coaching staff. Among the first changes of the offseason comes at the defensive back coaching position.

Tennessee has announced the addition of Charlton Warren as the new defensive backs coach for the Vols. It is the same role he previously filled at North Carolina for the past two seasons. Warren will replace Willie Martinez, who will not be returning to the Tennessee staff in 2017, according to a released statement from the university’s athletics department.

“Coach Warren is a passionate, knowledgeable and driven football coach that has an outstanding history of developing defensive backs on the collegiate level,” Tennessee head coach Butch Jones said in a released statement. “He also has a great reputation as one of the top recruiters in the country with strong ties to our recruiting areas. We feel extremely fortunate to add someone of his caliber to our coaching staff and our defensive meeting room.”

Tennessee finished ranked 10th in the SEC in passing defense, allowing an average of 230.7 yards per game through the air to opposing quarterbacks. The Vols allowed the fifth-lowest opponent passer rating and picked off 11 passes while allowing 18 touchdown passes, which actually fared well among SEC peers even if just around the middle of the pack or just toward the bottom half of the conference in each category. For a school that prides itself on its defensive backs, a change was necessary.

North Carolina owned the ACC’s top pass defense in 2016, allowing just 180.8 yards per game and 11 touchdown passes. The one downside was having just one interception recorded in 13 games. Every other FBS program had at least three interceptions last season. How UNC only picked off one pass all season long is quite a remarkable feat considering how respectable the pass defense was last season.

Mike Locksley promoted to full-time offensive assistant at Alabama

EAST LANSING, MI - NOVEMBER 14: Interim head coach Mike Locksley of the Maryland Terrapins looks on against the Michigan State Spartans during the game at Spartan Stadium on November 14, 2015 in East Lansing, Michigan. Michigan State defeated Maryland 24-7. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)
Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

With some room to work on the Alabama coaching staff this offseason, head coach Nick Saban has found the right opportunity to promote Mike Locksley to a full-time offensive assistant role in Tuscaloosa. The hiring was made official by Alabama on Monday.

Locksley spent the 2016 season as an offensive analyst for the Crimson Tide. He spent the previous four seasons as an offensive coordinator at Maryland and was previously the head coach of New Mexico from 2009 through 2011. Locksley previously spent time in the SEC as a running backs coach and recruiting coordinator for Florida in 2003 and 2004 as well. He is a well-known recruiting machine, as if Alabama needs any extra help in that department (I say this in a joking manner, because Alabama didn’t get to where they are today without having to grind on the recruiting trail).

“We are excited to add Mike Locksley to our staff as an assistant coach on the offensive side of the football,” Saban said in a released statement. “He is an outstanding offensive mind who brings a wealth of knowledge and experience as both a head coach and offensive coordinator. Mike is also one of the best recruiters in the nation and will be an excellent addition to our staff. His time as an analyst with us over the past season should also ensure a smooth transition and a full understanding of how our organization operates.”

The University of Alabama Board of Trustees still needs to approve the contract to make Locksley’s hiring official, but that should just be a formality.