Florida State had won 22 straight games at home in Doak Campbell Stadium until North Carolina brought that streak to an end with a last-second kick for a win. With Florida State suffering a loss at home, the new longest home winning streak in the FBS won’t have to go very far, as it will remain in the ACC Atlantic Division.
Clemson took over with the new longest home winning streak in the FBS Saturday night with a home win against Louisville. That streak now stands at 19 games, which began with a victory over Georgia Tech in mid-November of 2013. The last team to hand Clemson a loss in Death Valley was Florida State, a 51-14 drubbing from Jameis Winston and company that catapulted the Seminoles on their way to a BCS national championship.
Clemson’s 19-Game Home Winning Streak:
- 11/14/2013 – Georgia Tech, 55-31
- 11/23/2013 – Citadel, 52-6
- 9/6/2014 – South Carolina State, 73-7
- 9/27/2014 – North Carolina, 50-35
- 10/4/2014 – North Carolina State, 41-0
- 10/11/2014 – Louisville, 23-17
- 10/25/2014 – Syracuse, 16-6
- 11/22/2014 – Georgia State, 28-0
- 11/29/2014 – South Carolina, 35-17
- 9/5/2015 – Wofford, 49-10
- 9/12/2015 – Appalachian State, 41-10
- 10/3/2015 – No. 6 Notre Dame, 24-22
- 10/10/2015 – Georgia Tech, 43-24
- 10/17/2015 – Boston College, 34-17
- 11/7/2015 – No. 17 Florida State, 23-13
- 11/21/2015 – Wake Forest, 33-13
- 9/10/2016 – Troy, 30-24
- 9/17/2016 – South Carolina State, 59-0
- 10/1/2016 – No. 3 Louisville, 42-36
When might this winning streak at home be snapped? That’s an excellent question, but the rest of the home slate looks quite favorable for these Tigers. The toughest home game might be against Pittsburgh on November 12, but the Tigers should be easily expected to be a solid favorite when that game comes around. Looking ahead to 2017, Clemson will host Auburn, Florida State and Georgia Tech for the most likely potential hurdles to keep the home streak alive. In 2017, Louisville will return as possibly the only real threat to Clemson in Death Valley. Texas A&M or Florida State in 2019? This streak may not be going down any time too soon.
The record for the longest home winning streak is 58 games, by Miami. So there’s something to shoot for at Clemson.