Getty Images

Report: Mich. St. student claims suspended Mich. WR groped her

5 Comments

Some additional light has been shed on a mid-October incident that ultimately led to the suspension of a Michigan football player.

Wide receiver Grant Perry is facing multiple charges, including misdemeanor sexual assault, following the incident outside of an East Lansing bar.  In mid-December, and following an initial two-game suspension, the 19-year-old sophomore was indefinitely suspended by the football program after charges were formally filed.

According to the police report obtained by the Detroit News, an unidentified female Michigan State student claimed that Perry groped her groin and grabbed her buttocks after he and two friends attempted to cut in line outside of the bar.  The woman, who acknowledged that she and her friends were a “little bit drunk” that night, further detailed the encounter with Perry in a police interview a little over two weeks after the incident.

From the News:

The men turned, towering over the girls and puffing out their chests, the police report said. She believed one or two of the men returned to the back of the line, realizing they weren’t getting into the bar.

Then she noticed the guy in front of her, allegedly Perry, was still there.

When the doorman denied him entry, he got in the victim’s face and started licking his lips. He then grabbed her buttocks and put his other hand in front of her while continuing to lick his lips, according to the report.

She told him not to get aggressive.

“You want to see aggressive?” he allegedly replied.

According to the report, the incident continued with her elbowing him in the chest, which caused him to lose his balance. He came at her again when she shoved him a second time.

Those in Perry’s group claim it’s a case of mistaken identity, and player’s attorney, mlive.com is reporting, has handed over to police a polygraph test taken by his client and conducted by what was described as an independent examiner.  However, three women who were with the alleged victim all told police it was Perry who grabbed her.

In addition to two misdemeanor sexual assault charges, Perry was also charged with felony resisting an officer and underage drinking. He’s already been arraigned, and a preliminary examination scheduled for today was pushed back three weeks.

“Mr. Perry adamantly denies any and all allegations of criminal sexual conduct,” one of Perry’s attorneys said in a statement to mlive.com. “We are hopeful that both the media and the public will afford Mr. Perry the presumption of innocence that he is entitled to and we’re looking forward to contesting these allegations through the court system.”

Perry remains on the Wolverines’ roster, but he didn’t travel with his teammates to the Orange Bowl.

Randy Edsall adds FCS special teams coordinator to UConn staff

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Earlier this month, Randy Edsall lost one of his assistant coaches to the NFL. This week, he’s turned to one from the FCS ranks as a replacement.

UConn announced Monday the hiring of Eddie Allen as the Huskies’ new special teams coordinator. Allen comes to Storrs after spending the past three seasons in the same role at Delaware.

The hire fills a hole a created by the departure of Chris White, who has been named as the tight ends coach for the Detroit Lions.

“Eddie’s aggressive approach to special teams was exactly what I was looking for in our special teams coordinator,” a statement from the head coach began. “His teams have shown the ability to block kicks and be very fundamentally sound in the core four units involving special teams. He has delivered very good results as a special teams coordinator in all the places he has worked.”

Prior to Delaware, Allen spent six seasons as the special teams coordinator at Rhode Island. He was a football staffer for Greg Schiano at Rutgers (2005-07) before that.

This will mark Allen’s first on-field job at the FBS level.

“I am extremely excited to join Coach Edsall’s staff,” the New Jersey native said in his statement. “Being from the Northeast, I have followed the program closely through the years and I am looking forward to getting around our players and doing my part in the future of success of the program.”

Report: departing Miami DL coach could be headed to Alabama

Getty Images
4 Comments

And now we know a little bit more of the rest of the story.

Just a short time ago, Miami announced that defensive line Craig Kuligowski was leaving the football program after two years to pursue unspecified opportunities elsewhere.  Subsequent to that announcement, Bruce Feldman of SI.com tweeted that Nick Saban and Tuscaloosa could be the assistant’s ultimate destination.

Kuligowski and Saban have a previous connection as the former played defensive line under the latter at Toledo in 1990.  Saban is searching for a replacement to Karl Dunbar, the Crimson Tide’s defensive line coach who left for a job with the Pittsburgh Steelers earlier this month.

Other names floated as possibilities have included former FAU head coach Charlie Partridge and former UA assistant and current South Carolina line coach Lance Thompson.

DL coach Craig Kuligowski leaves Miami ‘to pursue other opportunities’

Getty Images
Leave a comment

At one point it appeared that Mark Richt had dodged a coaching-departure bullet.  In the end, however, his Miami staff has been hit.

Reports surfaced earlier in the day Monday the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had interviewed UM defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski for the same job.  Not long after the initial speculation first appeared, the NFL club confirmed that it had hired someone other than Kuligowski for the position.

Tonight, however, the Hurricanes announced in a press release that Kuligowski “is leaving the program to pursue other opportunities.” What and where specifically that opportunity is wasn’t divulged by the football program.

Kuligowski had spent the past two seasons with the Hurricanes and is widely considered one of the top line coaches in the country.

Mark Your Calendars: KU, Wazzu reportedly set for 2027-28 home-and-home series

Getty Images
1 Comment

Are you ready for some good news? Kansas and Washington State are (finally, FINALLY!) going to meet on the gridiron.

Are you ready for some bad news? You’re going to have to wait nearly a decade to see it.

The Jayhawks and Cougars have agreed to a home-and-home series in 2027-28, according to documents obtained by FBSchedules. Washington State is set to host the first game on Sept. 11, 2027, with Kansas returning the favor on Sept. 9, 2028. The programs have met 10 times previously, but not since 1977. Kansas holds a 7-2 all-time advantage.

Washington State is also set to visit Boise State in 2027, but does not have any other games lined up for ’28. Kansas does not have any other agreements for either season.

Interestingly, Wazzu’s Kansas home-and-home is sandwiched around a home-and-home with Kansas State in 2026 and ’29. Washington State has not faced a Big 12 opponent since a 65-17 loss at Oklahoma State to open the 2010 season.

Kansas, who also has future games with Rutgers, Boston College, Duke and Illinois on the docket, has not squared off with a Pac-12 foe — not counting former Big 12 bunk mate Colorado — since a 41-17 loss to UCLA on Sept. 8, 2001.