Kareem Walker

Getty Images

Dad of RB Kingston Davis says son will transfer from Michigan

2 Comments

Michigan’s the latest football program to see its roster hit with the annual spring personnel attrition.

The father of Kingston Davis confirmed to Sam Webb of Scout.com that his son informed UM officials earlier Friday of his intention to transfer from the Wolverines.  Apparently there were two reasons that triggered the running back’s decision: a crowded backfield and chatter that he would be changing positions.

While 2016 leading rusher De'Veon Smith is gone, the Wolverines’ second-, third- and fourth-leading rushers from last season — rising sophomore Chris Evans (614 yards), rising junior Karan Higdon (425), rising fifth-year senior Ty Isaac (417) — all return. Kareem Walker, a four-star 2016 recruit rated as the No. 4 running back in the country, sat out last season because of academics but should be a part of the rotation as a redshirt freshman. They also added four-star (O'Maury Samuels) and three-star (Kurt Taylor) backs as part of their 2017 recruiting class.

A three-star 2016 recruit, Davis was rated as the No. 1 fullback in the country in that year’s class. As a true freshman, the 6-1, 245-pound back carried the ball twice for 17 yards.

Ahmir Mitchell confirms transfer to Rutgers from Michigan

Getty Images
Leave a comment

In the middle of the week, it was reported that another Big Ten school would be the likely destination for transferring Michigan wide receiver Ahmir Mitchell. On social media, Mitchell made that move officially come to fruition.

In a tweet posted to his personal Twitter account, Mitchell confirmed that he has decided to transfer to Rutgers and continue his collegiate playing career with the Scarlet Knights. The New Jersey native stated in the missive that he found “it best for me along with my family to go back home.”

In an interview with nj.com following his announcement, Mitchell delved a little deeper into the decision.

“Throughout my entire recruitment, Rutgers was always within the top three,” he said. “For a while they were leading. It basically came down to the staff. And now that they have a better staff at Rutgers, that’s what made me basically want to come back home along with everything going on back at home with my family and stuff like that. So it just seemed like a good fit and every aspect just pointed back home.”

Mitchell announced a little over a week ago that he was leaving UM and reopening his recruitment. That departure from Ann Arbor was certainly an odd one, cloaked in uncertainty and secrecy.

Jim Harbaugh had confirmed earlier this month that two of the three Michigan football players not present for a team photo — Mitchell, running back Kareem Walker and defensive lineman Shelton Johnson — had been suspended, although he declined to specify which two. A couple of weeks later came Mitchell’s decision to move on.

A four-star 2016 recruit, Mitchell was rated as the No. 5 player at any position in the state of New Jersey and the No. 167 player overall on 247sports.com‘s composite board. He was an early enrollee who participated in spring practice.

Mitchell will be forced to sit out the 2016 season, and will apply for a waiver through the Big Ten that would prevent him from being stripped of another year of eligibility as an intra-conference transfer.  If granted the waiver because of extenuating circumstances at home, Mitchell would have four years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2017; if denied, he’d have three.

Four-star 2016 Michigan recruit Ahmir Mitchell says he’s ‘reopening recruitment’

Getty Images
4 Comments

Jim Harbaugh had previously confirmed that two of the three Michigan football players not present for a team photo earlier this month — wide receiver Ahmir Mitchell, running back Kareem Walker and defensive lineman Shelton Johnson — had been suspended, although he declined to specify which two. A couple of weeks later, one of those players has apparently exited the program.

On his Twitter account Wednesday afternoon, Mitchell announced that he is “reopening my recruitment to all Universities and football programs.” It’s unclear if the wide receiver has received a release from his UM scholarship.

“I love what U of M had to offer me but, what is best for me and my family comes first,” Mitchell wrote.

A four-star 2016 recruit, Mitchell was rated as the No. 5 player at any position in the state of New Jersey and the No. 167 player overall on 247sports.com‘s composite board. He was an early enrollee who participated in spring practice.,