Duke announced in late February that a pair of sophomore defensive linemen, Brandon Boyce and Marquies Price (pictured), had been dismissed by David Cutcliffe. As it turns out, the linemen will continue their collegiate playing careers as teammates.
On their personal Twitter accounts Monday, both Both Price and Boyce revealed their intentions to transfer to South Florida, the former by way of a relatively lengthy missive and the latter with a simple picture of a USF helmet.
Neither first-year head coach Charlie Strong nor the football program itself have confirmed the twin additions.
Both players will be forced to sit out the 2017 season to satisfy NCAA transfer bylaws. They will each then have two years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2018.
Price started all 11 games in which he played during the 2016 season, and started 14 in his career. His six quarterback hurries last year were second on the team.
Boyce played in 21 games during his time with the Blue Devils. Eight of those appearances came in 2016.
In mid-August, it was announced that Boyce was one of two football players suspended for the first three games of last season. Unspecified violations of team rules was the only reason given for that punitive measure.
The state of Florida will play host to one less bowl game when the 2017 postseason rolls around.
The American Athletic Conference, which created the Miami Beach Bowl and has owned and operated the event since 2014, announced Friday that the game has been purchased by ESPN. The AAC will continue its affiliation with the bowl game; it’s expected Conference USA, the MAC and Sun Belt will do the same.
The conference also confirmed that the game will no longer be played at Marlins Park or in the state of Florida. A new venue will be announced at a later date, although the state of Texas is the early favorite to land the bowl.
“We are proud of the postseason opportunities that we have been able to provide to student-athletes through our founding of the Miami Beach Bowl, and we appreciate the relationships that we have built with the Miami Marlins, Marlins Park and the cities of Miami and Miami Beach,” said AAC commissioner Mike Aresco said in a statement. “This transfer makes sense on many levels. We are excited to enhance our overall relationship with ESPN and to continue our affiliation with the bowl.”
Memphis (2014), Tulsa (2016) and USF (2015) have previously represented the AAC in the game. The first two won their matchups with BYU and Central Michigan, respectively, while the latter dropped a 10-point decision to Western Kentucky.
This spring, Malik Dixon changed positions. Not long after, Dixon has decided to change football programs.
In a missive penned and posted on his personal Twitter account, Dixon announced that, “[a]fter long talks and consideration with my family and friends, I think it would be best for me to transfer schools.” The redshirt freshman also revealed that he will be transferring to an unspecified junior college.
“I would first like to thank USF football and its staff, [former head coach Willie] Taggart, and [current head coach Charlie] Strong for giving me the opportunity to play football at the college level and further my education,” Dixon wrote. “I have built relationships here that will last a lifetime.”
Dixon’s public announcement comes after the player missed a week of spring practice for what Strong described as “a family issue.” It also came not long after he moved from safety to linebacker earlier in the spring.
Dixon was a three-star member of the Bulls’ 2015 recruiting class. He took a redshirt his true freshman season, then played in the first game of 2016 before suffering what turned out to be a season-ending shoulder injury in his collegiate debut.
Prior to the injury, Dixon had been credited with six tackles (three solos, three assists), a sack for a loss of 10 yards and a forced fumble.
Transfer decisions are never easy but in the case of tailback Jordan Cronkrite, all it apparently takes is a quick trip down I-75.
247Sports’ Ryan Bartow was first to report that the former Florida running back would be transferring from Gainesville to USF and the tailback later confirmed the news on Twitter not long after on Thursday afternoon.
Cronkrite made the move to transfer earlier this offseason after falling behind Jordan Scarlett, Lamical Perine and Outback Bowl star Mark Thompson on the Gators’ depth chart. The running back was originally a heralded four-star recruit out of the Miami area but never could catch on at UF, rushing for just 302 yards and four touchdowns over a two year span.
The addition of Cronkrite is a nice pickup for new head coach Charlie Strong but the running back will have to sit out a season before becoming eligible to play in 2018. With both D'Ernest Johnson and Darius Tice entering their senior seasons in 2017, there’s certainly a chance that Cronkrite will be able to play a big role in the Bulls’ backfield in two years.
Earlier this month, James Clark opted to transfer from Ohio State. A little over three weeks later, the wide receiver has reportedly found a new college football home.
While still awaiting confirmation from the football program, 247Sports.com has reported that Clark will continue his collegiate playing career at Virginia Tech. Even as this is news to most of the college football world, the Daytona Beach News-Journal actually confirmed the move over a week ago with a well-placed source — the receiver himself.
“You can see the production they have out of the receivers,” Clark said about the Hokies in a piece posted March 21. “And as a team, they went to the ACC championship last year, and they know how to get their playmakers the ball.
“Watching film and seeing all the different ways they get the ball to the receivers, it’s hard to say no to (that).”
Clark had visited both Tech and South Florida before making his final decision, the News-Journal reported.
As a graduate transfer, Clark, who’ll continue on as a member of OSU’s track team through the remainder of that sport’s season, will be eligible to play for Tech in 2017. The upcoming season will be Clark’s final season of eligibility.
Clark, a four-star 2013 signee, caught six passes for 47 yards during his time with the Buckeyes. All of those statistics were recorded during the 2016 season.
The early March transfer of Clark was actually the second player at the position to leave the Buckeyes this month, with Alex Stump departing as well. That four-star 2015 receiver ended up transferring to Vanderbilt.