Indiana Hoosiers

kiante-enis
Randolph County (Ind.) Jail

Details emerge in dismissed Indiana WR’s child molestation charges

4 Comments

One day after an Indiana football player’s dismissal, some of the details of what led to his arrest and charges have emerged.

Thursday, Kiante Harris was arrested on two counts of molesting a child 13 years of age or younger.  Not only that, but, according to police, Enis admitted to investigators that he had what he described as a “consensual sexual encounter” with the alleged victim on at least two occasions.

According to HoosierSportsReport.com, Enis originally didn’t know the alleged victim was 13 years old at the time of their first sexual encounter — the 19-year-old Enis thought she was 16 — but continued the sexual relationship even after learning her true age.  According to an affidavit, Enis admitted to having sex with the 13-year-old victim twice after being informed she wasn’t 16, resulting in the two molestation charges.

From the website’s report:

The sheriff’s department was first contacted about the relationship between Enis and the girl on Tuesday. Detectives interviewed the girl at her junior high school on Wednesday, informing her that she was not in any trouble and that they wanted to speak with her about the relationship with Enis.

The girl first told detectives that she and Enis had hung out once or twice, watched a movie and kissed, according to the affidavit. Detectives told the girl that they believed there was more to the story and, according to the affidavit, the girl became quiet and placed her head in her hands.

The affidavit says the girl then told detectives she believed that she and Enis had sex twice and that Enis told her not to tell anyone because “he would get into trouble.”

Shortly after the charges were publicized, the Hoosiers announced that Harris had been dismissed from the football program.

A three-star 2016 signee, Enis was rated as the No. 7 player at any position in the state of Indiana.  He hadn’t played in either of the Hoosiers’ first two games this season.

Indiana dismisses player charged with child molestation

kiante-enis
Randolph County (Ind.) Jail
9 Comments

Not surprisingly, Kiante Enis‘ time at Indiana has come to a premature end.

Earlier this afternoon, reports surfaced that Enis had been arrested on two counts of molesting a child 13 years of age or younger.  Not only that, but, according to police, Enis admitted to investigators that he had what he described as a “consensual sexual encounter” with the alleged victim on at least two occasions.

Less than two hours after the reports first came to light, the Hoosiers announced in a very short, terse statement that Enis has been dismissed from the football program.  The dismissal is “effective immediately,” the school added.

Enis remains jailed in lieu of a $20,000 bond.  He faces up to 16 years in prison on each charge if found guilty.

A three-star 2016 signee, Enis was rated as the No. 7 player at any position in the state of Indiana.  He hadn’t played in either of the Hoosiers’ first two games this season.

Indiana WR Kiante Enis charged with molesting ‘a child 13 years or younger’

Associated Press
Leave a comment

A disturbing, sickening situation has surfaced involving an Indiana Hoosiers football player.

According to the Indianapolis Star, freshman Kiante Enis was arrested Thursday on two counts of child molestation, felony charges that could result in up to 16 years in prison on each count.  The Star writes that “Randolph County sheriff’s deputies received a report [Wednesday] of a ‘possible relationship’ between Kiante Christopher Enis, 19, of the 200 block of East Main Street in Saratoga, and ‘a child 13 years or younger.'”

In interviews with investigators, Enis acknowledged there was “a consensual sexual encounter” with the alleged victim on at least two occasions.

Enis is still listed on the Hoosiers’ online roster.  He hasn’t appeared in any of IU’s first two games this season, with head coach Kevin Wilson stating earlier this week that Enis is dealing with a concussion.

Neither the football program nor the university have publicly addressed the arrest.

Enis was a three-star 2016 recruit who was rated as the No. 7 player at any position in the state of Indiana by 247Sports.com.  After originally committing to Michigan, Enis decommitted a couple of weeks before National Signing Day and ultimately opted to remain in his home state at IU.

 

Dispute over dog leads to Indiana backup kicker’s arrest

screen-shot-2016-09-21-at-1-45-54-pm
Indiana athletics
3 Comments

For the second time this month, it’s an Indiana football player who triggers a resetting of the “Days Without An Arrest” ticker.

According to the Indianapolis Star, Hoosier kicker Aaron Del Grosso was arrested early Wednesday morning following a dispute with his ex-girlfriend over a dog.  Responding to a call, Bloomington police officers ultimately charged Del Grosso with criminal trespassing and public intoxication.

From the Star:

According to Capt. Steve Kellams of the Bloomington Police Department, officers arrived at the 400 block of the Ind. 45/46 Bypass about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, to find two people arguing over ownership of a dog. Officers advised both individuals, Del Grosso and an ex-girlfriend, that the argument was a civil matter, and asked Del Grosso to leave the ex-girlfriend’s property, which he initially did.

Del Grosso returned to the property, according to Kellams, at which point officers arrested him.

An IU spokesperson declined comment on the situation.

A redshirt junior, Del Grosso has connected on all 14 of his career extra point attempts but made just one of four field goal attempts.  All of those kicks came during the first three games of the 2014 season.

Earlier this month, IU defensive lineman Jerome Johnson was found passed out in a stairwell and cited for underage consumption.

Simmie Cobbs, Indiana’s top WR in 2015, could be done for season

NEW YORK, NY - DECEMBER 26: Simmie Cobbs Jr. #1 of the Indiana Hoosiers drops a pass in the end zone defended by Breon Borders #31 of the Duke Blue Devils in the second half during the New Era Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium on December 26, 2015 in the Bronx borough of New York City. Duke defeated Indiana 44-41 in overtime. (Photo by Adam Hunger/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It appears Indiana’s initial concerns for one of the most talented weapons in its aerial arsenal were well-founded.

On the first play from scrimmage in Indiana’s 30-20 win over Ball State last Saturday, Simmie Cobbs was rolled up on from behind and left the game with an ankle injury. The wide receiver was subsequently spotted on crutches on the sidelines and wearing a walking boot.

After the game, head coach Kevin Wilson stated the receiver “has an ankle injury that’s probably gonna require surgery.” Tuesday morning, Cobbs fulfilled the surgical prophecy, with Wilson not sounding at all optimistic that his player will see the field at all the remainder of the season.

“The text message I have said things went well,” Wilson said. “… Maybe he gets back at the end of the year, but he’s got a redshirt year. So we’ll see how that goes.”

Last season, Cobbs led the Hoosiers with 60 receptions for 1,035 yards.  After being named to the Biletnikoff Award watch list over the summer, this season began with a suspension for the opener against FIU.