The drawn-out drama that’s been Duron Carter‘s attempt to gain eligibility to play for Alabama appears to have come to an end, at least for this season.
Head coach Nick Saban announced Wednesday evening that the JUCO transfer will take a redshirt this season and will not play for the Tide in 2011. Carter will apparently attempt to become academically eligible this year, with the hope being he’ll be available for spring practice and 2012 and beyond.
Carter, the son of Ohio State legend Cris Carter, has been sidelined as the school awaited transcript information it needed from his former junior college. It doesn’t appear that information will be forthcoming; therefore, the wide receiver will not play this season.
“There’s one piece of information we did not receive and have not ever received, and may not ever receive,” Saban said. “So as of right now he has to be here a year in residence to be eligible. So, he’ll still have two years to play after that, but as of right now it doesn’t look like he will be eligible for this season.”
It was reported back in late August that he had enrolled at the school and began practicing with the team shortly thereafter. The transcript issues, however, kept him off the playing field as the Tide has jumped out to a 3-0 start and a No. 2 Associated Press ranking.
Carter announced in April that he would be transferring to the Tide, and officially signed with the school in July. He began his career at Ohio State before running into academic issues that forced him to transfer to the JUCO ranks.
It may not make a world of difference one way or the other for third-ranked and heavily favored Alabama as they take on No. 23 Penn State, but the Tide will be playing without wide receiver Duron Carter, who was only recently given the green light to enroll in the school and begin practicing with the team.
It began with a vague tweet from Carter (@DC_CHILLIN_8) this morning that said simply “Not playing… Complications“, with Bama beat writer Izzy Gould confirming that report a short time later.
Whatever the “complications” are, they may have happened only recently — as in yesterday — as coach Nick Saban said Carter was in the Tide’s game plan for today.
Both teams are 1-0 heading into today’s game. Alabama defeated Kent State 48-7; Penn State toppled Indiana State 41-7.
UPDATED 1:43 p.m. ET: an official statement from Alabama says the school is still waiting on documents for Carter to be certified. Carter can practice with the team while he waits, but cannot play.
It appears that, after a couple of months of uncertainty, Duron Carter has finally been admitted to Alabama.
The first hint came early this afternoon, when the former Ohio State wide receiver took to Twitter and seemingly announced that he’s been cleared academically.
“FINALLY! COMING TO A STADIUM NEAR U,” Carter wrote on the social media website.
A short time later, and citing a source close to the receiver, Izzy Gould of the Birmingham News wrote that “Carter has been admitted as a student to Alabama and could be at practice as early as today.” Carter had been ineligible to take part in summer camp as Alabama awaited additional information on his transcripts from the junior college he attended after leaving the Buckeyes last year.
Carter announced in April that he would be transferring to the Tide, and officially signed with the school in July.
UPDATED 5:34 p.m. ET: Carter was indeed practicing with the Tide Monday afternoon.
In early July, Alabama’s Duron Carter was one of 75 players to make the cut for the Biletnikoff Award’s preseason watch list, which was kind of curious considering he played at the JUCO level in 2010.
That inclusion was made even more curious by the fact that Carter, the son of Ohio State and NFL legend Cris Carter, wasn’t even enrolled in classes after hitting an academic snag.
Well, it appears the academic snag is still in full effect as the Tide has commenced summer camp without the transfer on the practice field. On the first day of camp, Tide head coach Nick Saban said that Carter will remain academically ineligible until the school receives additional information on his grades, presumably from the junior college he attended after leaving Ohio State last year.
“Duron Carter, we do not have all of his information for all of his grades,” Saban said according to the Birmingham News. “Until we get that information, even though he’s here he is not eligible to be at practice or be at camp. When we get that information if it’s all what it’s supposed to be then he’ll be able to practice.”
Academic issues, however, aren’t exactly new to Carter. The receiver was ruled ineligible for OSU’s appearance in the 2010 Rose Bowl, and those same issues prompted him to transfer to Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College in June of last year.
He committed to the Tide in early April of this year.
Three months after it was announced that ex-Ohio State receiver Duron Carter would be taking his talents to Alabama, it looks as though Carter has arrived in Tuscaloosa.
Via Twitter, Carter announced “I’m here!” yesterday.
And, according to reports, he’s signed with the Tide and will be able to work out with his teammates this month. However, he will not begin classes until August. A source close to Carter says there aren’t expected to be any academic roadblocks.
Carter came to Alabama from Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College after leaving the Buckeyes as an academic casualty. While at Coffeyville, Carter caught 44 passes for 690 yards and 10 touchdowns.