Greg Bryant

Photo by Michael Hickey/Getty Images

UAB RB Greg Bryant dies from gunshot wounds

2 Comments

A tragic story has taken an unfortunate turn for the worst. Greg Bryant has died after being found shot in his car early Saturday morning. The family of Bryant confirmed of the passing Sunday, and medical reports later confirmed he was brain dead as of Sunday afternoon. Authorities have now ruled this case a homicide.

News of Bryant’s passing was first reported by Lynda Figueredo of CBS 21, via Twitter, citing a confirmation from Bryant’s family.

Bryant and a passenger were found shot in his car in Palm Beach, Florida and was taken to St. Mary’s Medical Center for treatment. He was placed in critical condition and said to be fighting for his life.

Bryant was a five-star running back out of high school and a part of Notre Dame’s Class of 2013. He then moved to ASA College in Miami to play at the junior college level in 2015. He transferred to UAB to be a part of the revamped football program.

No suspect has been identified in the shooting.

Erstwhile Irish RB Greg Bryant says he’s reopening recruitiment

9 Comments

It appears that Greg Bryant has all but closed the door on a return to South Bend next year.  Or any year after that, for that matter.

Earlier this month, and after he was suspended for the first four games, it was confirmed that Bryant had been declared academically ineligible and wouldn’t play at all in 2015.  While head coach Brian Kelly stated Bryant would be , the running back’s father stated that, even as he would be returning to classes at the school, he wouldn’t be reporting for summer camp.

However, the school part won’t come to fruition as Bryant posted on Instagram that he participated in his first practice Thursday at ASA Miami, a junior college in Florida and is coached by a former Notre Dame staffer.

Additionally, Bryant stated that he has decided to reopen his recruitment.  While that doesn’t necessarily preclude a return to the Irish, it appears he will be looking in other directions to restart his FBS career in 2016.

Below is his complete social media missive.

Had my first practice with my new team ASA Miami today and it went great! They gave me a opportunity to wear #1 this season! I’ll be keeping everyone updated with highlights and games. Opening up my recruitment so my next move will be my best move. Kinda feel like HIGHSCHOOL again getting offers and everything hahah. Highlights coming soon.

Last season as a true sophomore, Bryant’s 289 yards rushing were good for second on the team. Bryant was a five-star member of the Irish’s 2013 recruiting class and was rated as the No. 3 back in the country.

If he returns to the FBS level next year, Bryant would have two years of eligibility remaining.

DE Kolin Hill decides to transfer from Irish

4 Comments

On the heels of losing promising running back Greg Bryant to academic issues for the entire 2015 season, Notre Dame has now seen itself come out on the losing personnel end on the other side of the ball.

Kolin Hill confirmed to IrishIllustarted.com Wednesday night that he has decided to transfer from the Irish.  The school subsequently confirmed Hill’s departure.

According to the defensive end, he’s already back in his home in Texas after receiving a release from his Notre Dame scholarship.

Hill played in nine games as a true freshman after coming to the Irish as a three-star member of last year’s recruiting class.  The Scout.com website writes that “Hill was expected to compete for a pass rush role within the Irish defense this season.”

Irish’s second-leading ’14 rusher declared academically ineligible

25 Comments

Academics has once again claimed a key member of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

The father of Greg Bryant confirmed to IrishIllustrated.com that his son has been declared academically ineligible and will not play for the Irish in 2015.  Greg Bryant Sr. added that his running back son will not be reporting with the team for summer camp, although he will return to campus as a student later this month.

What his football future holds beyond that is unclear, whether he sits a season and returns next year like Everett Golson or if he transfers out as others before him have done.

Back in June, it was reported that Bryant would be suspended for the first four games of the year, with the speculation on that punitive matter centering on academics.   At least according to the father, Bryant was thiiis close to making the grade.

Regardless of how close he was, Bryant’s absence will serve as somewhat of a blow to the Irish ground attack.

Last season, Bryant’s 289 yards rushing were good for second on the team.  As our own JJ Stankevitz explained at the time of the initial report, though, the loss Bryant does not necessarily serve as a death knell for that facet of the offense, although that was in the context of a four-game suspension and not a season-long loss.

While the optics of suspending a former big-time recruit aren’t good, there’s reason to think Notre Dame can absorb his absence with the backfield combination of [quarterback Malik] Zaire, Tarean Folston and C.J. Prosise. In a 31-28 Music City Bowl win over LSU, those three players handled 46 of Notre Dame’s 51 carries and totaled 244 of its 263 yards.

UPDATED 4:44 p.m. ET: In a statement, head coach Brian Kelly confirmed that Bryant will not play for Notre Dame in 2015.

“There are certain expectations within our program that must be met on a daily basis,” Kelly said, adding, “quite simply, Greg did not meet those expectations.”

The school added that Bryant will remain on scholarship and can practice with the Irish, but he will not occupy a spot on the 105-man roster.

Notre Dame RB Greg Bryant reportedly will be suspended for September

8 Comments

With Everett Golson in Tallahassee and Malik Zaire the Captain Jack Sparrow of the offense, Notre Dame should be expected to run the ball quite a bit this fall. Rising junior running back Greg Bryant won’t be a part of that equation in September.

The former five-star recruit will be suspended likely for the first four games of the season, according to Irish Illustrated’s Pete Sampson. Irish247 first reported Bryant’s suspension and the four-game ban.

If Bryant’s suspension — which has not been announced by Notre Dame — is indeed for four games, he’d miss Sept. 5 vs. Texas, Sept. 12 at Virginia, Sept. 19 vs. Georgia Tech and Sept. 26 vs. UMass. The first game in which he’d be eligible to play would be a pivotal matchup against Clemson Oct. 3 in South Carolina.

While the optics of suspending a former big-time recruit aren’t good, there’s reason to think Notre Dame can absorb his absence with the backfield combination of Zaire, Tarean Folston and C.J. Prosise. In a 31-28 Music City Bowl win over LSU, those three players handled 46 of Notre Dame’s 51 carries and totaled 244 of its 263 yards.

Prosise began cross-training at running back during spring practice and possesses the big-play ability Notre Dame’s been trying to coax out of Bryant since he arrived on campus two summers ago. Folston is a steady, reliable back who doesn’t have any glaring weaknesses to his game. And Zaire is a read option whiz with a physical, downhill running style.

It’s also worth noting Notre Dame’s entire wide receiver corps returns from last year, headlined by Will Fuller and his 1,094 yards and 15 touchdowns.

Bryant rushed 54 times for 289 yards and three touchdowns in 2014 as he largely was stuck behind Folston and Cam McDaniel on the Irish depth chart.