Getty Images

USC WR Joseph Lewis to face five misdemeanors

Leave a comment

Joseph Lewis‘ most serious legal issue is over, but he still has some legal hurdles to get past.

Late last month, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office declined to pursue a felony charge against the USC wide receiver after he wasarrested on one count of corporal injury on a spouse or cohabitant.  At the time, though, it was reported that the case had been referred to the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office, which would decide whether misdemeanor charges would arise from the arrest.

Tuesday, ESPN.com reported, the city attorney’s office has decided to file five misdemeanor counts against Lewis.  The charges stem from two separate incidents in February, and include three counts of domestic battery with an injury, false imprisonment and domestic battery without an injury.

Details of what led to the initial felony charge have not been released.

As it stands at the moment, Lewis’ indefinite suspension meted out by the football program remains in effect.  The receiver is not listed on the roster released by the Trojans ahead of spring practice.

A five-star member of the Trojans’ 2017 recruiting class, Lewis was rated as the No. 4 receiver in the country; the No. 6 player at any position in the state of California; and the No. 31 player overall on 247Sports.com‘s composite board. The only player rated higher in USC’s class that year was running back Stephen Carr.

As a true freshman last season, Lewis caught four passes for 39 yards. He’s expected to play a bigger role in the Trojans’ passing game this season.

USC WR Joseph Lewis won’t face felony over domestic incident

Getty Images
Leave a comment

One USC football player has dodged a significant legal bullet, but he’s not completely out of the woods quite yet.

Earlier this month, wide receiver Joseph Lewis was arrested on a charge of corporal injury on a spouse or cohabitant, which is a felony. However, a spokesperson for the Los Angeles County District Attorney confirmed to ESPN.com that the office has declined to file felony charges against the player.

Details of what led to the initial charge have not been released. While Lewis won’t be facing a felony, ESPN wrote, the “case was referred to the Los Angeles City attorney’s office, the spokesman said, which is now reviewing it as a possible misdemeanor.”

In the interim, the indefinite suspension that was levied on Lewis by the football team will remain in effect.

A five-star member of the Trojans’ 2017 recruiting class, Lewis was rated as the No. 4 receiver in the country; the No. 6 player at any position in the state of California; and the No. 31 player overall on 247Sports.com‘s composite board. The only player rated higher in USC’s class that year was running back Stephen Carr.

As a true freshman last season, Lewis caught four passes for 39 yards. He’s expected to play a bigger role in the Trojans’ passing game this season.

USC WR Joseph Lewis suspended following domestic violence charge

Photo by Winslow Townson/Getty Images
1 Comment

USC has suspended wide receiver Joseph Lewis after the former U.S. Army All-American after Lewis was arrested and charged in a domestic violence-related incident on Monday.

According to a report from USCFootball.com, Lewis was charged with “corporal injury on a spouse or cohabitant” due to visible injury to an alleged victim. The charge is a felony offense and Lewis could face up to four years behind bars if convicted.

“USC takes all reports of domestic abuse seriously and is cooperating fully with the law enforcement investigation,” a university spokesperson said in a statement shared by USCFootball.com. “While this student code of conduct issue is being investigated, the student has been suspended from all football-related activities. Student disciplinary records and student conduct proceedings are confidential at USC and protected by law.”

Lewis, a five-star recruit in USC’s Class of 2017, appeared in three games for the Pac-12 champion Trojans last season. He caught four passes for a total of 39 yards in his spare playing time, but three of those receptions were good for a first down. This incident and news obviously puts Lewis’s availability for spring football practices and workouts on the backburner for now, until the legal process plays out. For now, Lewis is still a part of the USC football program despite being suspended.

Four-star LB Solomon Tuliaupupu follows teammates to USC after considering Notre Dame, UCLA

Getty Images
Leave a comment

National Signing Day and a strong close for USC is seemingly a fact of life nowadays. The Trojans continued to land top prospects and close strong with the class of 2018 on Wednesday as they landed the signature of Santa Ana (Calif.) linebacker Solomon Tuliaupupu.

“I’ll be attending the University of Southern California,” he said on ESPN2. “What sold me on SC was the Trojan family. With Coach (Clay) Helton, it’s faith, family and football.”

Tuliaupupu was awarded the Butkus Award as the top linebacker at the high school level this past season and was listed as a four-star prospect that was a top 10 player in the state of California. He joins a long line of players to make the drive up the gridlocked freeways from Orange County powerhouse Mater Dei High to USC, including five-star teammates in QB J.T. Daniels and top-ranked wide receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown.

The Trojans are not likely to be done as the cardinal and gold will have a shot at several other top 100 players who are announcing later in the day.

USC reportedly inks OC Tee Martin to multiyear extension to remain with the Trojans

USC athletics
2 Comments

USC may look a lot different on offense without quarterback Sam Darnold, leading rusher Ronald Jones and star receiver Deontay Burnett on the field but the man calling the plays will still be around Troy in 2018.

According to both ESPN and Sports Illustrated, the Trojans have signed offensive coordinator Tee Martin to a multiyear extension that will keep him in Los Angeles for the foreseeable future sporting the cardinal and gold.

“I’m just excited to be here at USC, where the future is so bright, and working for somebody the caliber of Clay Helton,” Martin told ESPN. “There were some other opportunities, but you don’t leave USC for a lateral move. I want to help us get to that next level, and everything is in place here to do that.”

While Martin was expected to get into the mix at his alma mater of Tennessee when that job opened up this offseason, nothing serious ever happened with the former Vols quarterback who won the first ever BCS national championship some 20 years ago. He did however interview to become the Oakland Raiders head coach several weeks ago despite the team hiring Jon Gruden in the richest coaching deal in the sport’s history.

Martin has been with the program since 2012 when he was hired by Lane Kiffin. This will be his third season at USC as offensive coordinator, where he also serves as one of the team’s top recruiters. The Trojans are coming off a Pac-12 title last year that saw their offense average 484.1 yards per game and rank 13th in total offense among the FBS ranks.

In addition to the Martin news, USC confirmed on Saturday that Bryan Ellis (quarterbacks) and Keary Colbert (tight ends/inside receivers) have been elevated to full-time assistant coaches, leaving just one offensive opening left for the program to fill.