Alabama may be latest school entangled in growing player-agent scandal

Leave a comment

Along with a couple of other web entities, we reported over the weekend that the tentacles of an investigation involving players’ relationships with agents that began in North Carolina and branched out to South Carolina could ultimately grab hold of additional schools in the coming days and weeks.

With that as a backdrop… hello defending national champion Alabama!  And less than 24 hours before the start of the SEC’s media days, no less.

According to Mark Schlabach and Ivan Maisel of ESPN.com, Alabama officials are investigating the presence of Tide defensive lineman Marcel Dareus at an agent’s party in South Beach earlier this year.  Multiple sources told the website that the school is attempting to ascertain whether any NCAA rules were broken on Dareus’ trip to Miami.

Tide head coach Nick Saban confirmed the probe, saying that “our compliance people are looking into it.”

NCAA investigators have interviewed several members of the North Carolina football program in the past several days, as well as South Carolina tight end Weslye Saunders, in regard to trips to South Florida and who exactly paid for flights, hotels and other expenses.

This is all on top of former Florida offensive lineman Maurkice Pouncey — who was expected to release a statement Tuesday but will wait until his former coach Urban Meyer speaks at the conference’s media day Wednesday — reportedly receiving $100,000 from the runner of an unnamed agent before the Gators’ Sugar Bowl win this past January.

All of the agent brouhaha has Saban ready to go medieval on his former stomping grounds and bar NFL teams from stepping foot onto campuses if the league and the NFLPA can’t get the agents under control.

“What the NFL Players Association and the NFL need to do is if any agent breaks a rule and causes ineligibility for a player, they should suspend his [agent’s] license for a year or two,” Saban said. “I’m about ready for college football to say, ‘Let’s just throw the NFL out. Don’t let them evaluate players. Don’t let them talk to players. Let them do it at the combine.’ If they are not going to help us, why should we help them?

“Right now, agents are screwing it up. They are taking the eligibility of players. It’s not right that those players do the wrong thing. We have a great education process here. We have a full-time worker who meets with players and their families and does everything else.”

Even if he’s merely saber-rattling when it comes to banning NFL clubs, Saban is 100-percent correct; something needs to be done as it pertains to player agents and their contact with student-athletes.

Either the NCAA needs to pay players so that the benefits currently being offered to X number of players isn’t as tempting — ain’t happening — or the NCAA and their member institutions need to put into place draconian rules that will in some way possibly help ensure that the few bad apples who give all agents a bad name are kept away — as much as humanly possible, anyway — until the players have exhausted their eligibility or declared for the NFL draft.

There’s simply no middle ground in this situation; either engage in an all-out war against all player agents or pay the players.  One of the two.

Or, like my dad always told me: give an agent an inch, and he’ll pay somebody to take a mile.

Nebraska squeezes in 12th game against Bethune-Cookman

Photo by Eric Francis/Getty Images
2 Comments

Nebraska will play a 12-game schedule after all, as long as Mother Nature decides to cooperate for the rest of the season. Nebraska announced today it has added a home football game against Bethune-Cookman.

According to the release from Nebraska, the Huskers will host the FCS school on October 27. The game will replace a home game wiped out by lightning against Akron back in Week 1.

“Our great fans and our football student-athletes deserve a full schedule, and we are glad to be able to provide an additional game on Oct. 27 against Bethune-Cookman,” Nebraska Athletic Director Bill Moos said. “We appreciate the patience of our fans through this process.”

Nebraska will pay Bethune-Cookman $800,000 to make the trip to Lincoln.

Injury will sideline Cal’s Cameron Goode for remainder of the year

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Unfortunately, Cal’s worst injury fears have been realized yet again.

In the Bears’ season-opening win over North Carolina, Cameron Goode sustained what’s only been described as an unspecified lower-leg injury.  The redshirt sophomore linebacker did not play in the past two games because of the injury and won’t play again this season, Justin Wilcox confirmed Wednesday.

“I really feel for him because he puts a lot into football,” the head coach said. “He’ll go through that window of not being able to play this year. It’s a pretty short window, then he’ll start working on what’s next.”

It’s expected Goode will be fully recovered by the start of spring practice.

This marks the second-straight season his year has ended prematurely because of injury.  Last year, he started the first nine games before being sidelined for the remainder of the season.

Goode had returned an interception for a touchdown in the opener before going down with the leg injury.  He also returned a pick for a score last season in the win over Ole Miss.

Recently-retired Minnesota RT Nick Connelly loses three-month battle with cancer

Getty Images
7 Comments

There’s incredibly sad news coming out of the Minnesota football program Thursday afternoon.

In an absolutely heartbreaking missive posted to Twitter, Chuck Connelly, the father of former Minnesota offensive lineman Nick Connelly, revealed that his son lost his three-month battle with cancer Wednesday.  Or, as the elder Connelly put it, “[o]n Wednesday Sept. 19, 2018 Heaven needed a right tackle and Nick Connelly got the call.”

Connelly was just 22 years old.

The younger Connelly was diagnosed with Burkitt’s lymphoma in June of this year.  A very rare form of cancer — WebMD states just that just 1,200 cases are diagnosed annually in the United States, with nearly 60 percent of those coming in patients over the age of 40 — and is recognized as the fastest growing human tumor.

In late October of last year, Connelly, who had started the first five games of the 2017 season at right tackle for the Gophers, announced that he was retiring from football because of the effects of multiple concussions.

Our thoughts, prayers and condolences go out to Connelly’s family, friends and former teammates for their loss.

Western Kentucky losing RB Marquez Trigg to transfer

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Another day, another FBS player has made an in-season move away from their now-former program.

Marquez Trigg wrote on his personal Twitter account this week that he has decided to transfer from Western Kentucky. “I will graduate in December and transfer to pursue other opportunities for my 5th year of college football,” the running back wrote.

While the redshirt junior gave no specific reason for the departure, a steep drop in opportunities this season likely played a significant role.

After taking a redshirt as a true freshman in 2015, Trigg ran for 465 yards combined in 2016 (298) and 2017 (167) on 122 carries. This season, his nine carries in three games netted him just 12 yards.

Trigg totaled four rushing touchdowns during his time with the Hilltoppers, two each during the last two seasons. He also caught 12 passes for 59 yards out of the backfield last season.