Experts not ready to say Toomer’s oaks are ‘definitely not going to make it’

8 Comments

It’s been a little over six months since Alabama “fan” Harvey Updyke allegedly poisoned Auburn’s Toomer’s Corner oaks, and it’s been thought for most of that time that it was a matter when, not if, the trees would succumb to the chemicals criminally placed into the soil.

While that may still ultimately be the case, the trees are still among the living.  And one expert who’s helped save them sounds slightly optimistic that they’ll continue to be around to be rolled following a Tigers win.  Or, at least, slightly more optimistic than people have been over the past half year.

Because of the poison, the trees are going through, the Associated Press writes, cycles of sprouting and shedding leaves, with the leaves that have been examined showing signs of the herbicide Updyke allegedly used.  Auburn horticulturalist Gary Keever said that there are some positive signs seen of late, but the trees are far from out of the woods, so to speak.

“I don’t want to give a sense of false hope, but we’re not ready to say they’re definitely not going to make it,” Keever told the AP.

“After the yellowing, browning and dropping off, the buds break out again and new, immature leaves will form. It’s good that they still have the stored food reserves to do this.”

In fact, the trees are doing so much better that there’s a possibility that the rolling of Toomer’s Corner — i.e. TPing the trees — could possibly be permitted this year.

Updyke pleaded not guilty in May to two felony counts of first-degree criminal mischief, two felony counts for unlawful damage, vandalism or theft of property from a farm animal or crop facility and two misdemeanor counts of desecrating a venerated object.  He had been scheduled to go to trial on the charges this month, but his court date has been pushed back until later this year.

Ex-WVU receiver Reggie Roberson announces transfer to SMU

Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Former West Virginia wide receiver Reggie Roberson seems to have found his new place to call home. Roberson announced his commitment to SMU with a doctored image on Twitter on Saturday afternoon.

By rule, Roberson will have to sit out the 2018 college football season since he is transferring to another FBS program. He’ll be eligible to play again for SMU beginning in 2019, but he will do so with three years of eligibility remaining.

Roberson was a three-star prospect in West Virginia’s Class of 2017 and he played in 10 games as a true freshman for the Mountaineers last fall. In those 10 games, Roberson caught six passes for 30 yards. Roberson is a native of Texas, so moving to SMU will bring him a little closer to home than Morgantown, West Virginia can offer.

Syracuse recruiting director leaves to become scout for Buffalo Bills

Photo by Brett Carlsen/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Syracuse recruiting director Asil Mulbah is heading to the NFL. With an announcement on Instagram, Mulbah announced he is joining the scouting department with the NFL’s Buffalo Bills.

“Excited to announce that I have accepted a position in the Buffalo Bills Scouting Department,” Mulbah said in his statement. “I’d like to thank Coach Babers, the SU football staff, and the players for an amazing two seasons filled with memories I will cherish for the rest of my life.”

Mulbah has previous NFL scouting experience with the Jacksonville Jaguars. He has been a part of the Syracuse program since 2016. Prior to his arrival at Syracuse under head coach Dino Babers, Mulbah made stops at Wake Forest and Bowling Green.

Nebraska’s starting center opts to retire from playing football

Photo by Steven Branscombe/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Nebraska has a handful of centers vying for the starting job in the middle of the offensive line this season. However, one of those options will not be Michael Decker. On Saturday morning, via Twitter, Decker announced he is retiring from playing football. Decker was a starting center for the Huskers last season.

“Over the past [six] months, I have taken a step back and looked at my future career goals and decided that I can no longer [accomodate] football’s commitments,” Decker said in his statement. “It is finally time to see that these aspirations outweighed the lacking desire to continue playing the game. Which, given the team’s goals, would only hurt them by my participation.”

Decker started five games for Nebraska at the center position in 2017 as a sophomore. A knee injury in October brought his season to a premature end. That injury also sidelined Decker for Nebraska spring football this season, leaving his future with the program and the game in doubt.

Nebraska is now moving forward with 14 offensive linemen on scholarship. Hunter Miller seemed to get the most opportunities in the spring to work with the first-team offense, but Nebraska also expects to have Cole Conrad back for the fall. Conrad started seven games for Nebraska last fall.

Japanese college football coach resigns over controversial hit

Photo by Matt Roberts/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Masato Uchida, the head coach of Nihon University’s national championship football team in Japan, has resigned as head coach of the program in response to a devastating hit delivered by one of his players on an opposing quarterback in a recent game against rival Kwansei Gakuin.

A Nihon defender well behind a pass play sped toward a quarterback well after an attempted pass. With the quarterback leisurely jogging toward the sideline, the Nihon defender tackled the unsuspecting quarterback from behind at the legs. You can watch the video of the hit, which went viral in Japan, on YouTube. The quarterback was forced to leave the game and it has been reported recovery from ligament damage in his spine could take three weeks. Fortunately, no nerve damage was discovered.

“The responsibility for this series of problems lies directly with me. I will resign as head coach,” Uchida said on Saturday, according to the Associated Press. “I am quitting for the sake of the young players. We must create a new Nichidai. After the incident, I did not warn my players and that is my responsibility. It was my poor judgment.”

Officials from Kwansei Gakuin accused Nihon of intentionally trying to hurt the quarterback, but Uchida initially refuted such allegations. In light of the controversial hit, three games for Nihon have been canceled due to upcoming opponents opting not to play against them. The Kantoh Collegiate Football Association announced additional cancellations as well.