CFT preseason No. 22: UCF

2010 record: 11-3, 7-1 (1st C-USA East; won conference title game)

2010 bowl: 10-6 win over Georgia in the Liberty Bowl

2010 final AP/coaches’ ranking: 21st/20th

Coach: George O’Leary, seventh year; 45-44 overall, 33-23 conference

Offensive coordinator: Charlie Taaffe, third year

2010 offensive rankings: 31st, scoring offense (32.1 ppg); 65th, total offense (374 ypg); 26th, rushing offense (187.6 ypg); 87th, passing offense (186.4 ypg)

Defensive coordinator: John Skladany, first year

2010 defensive rankings: 8th, scoring defense (17.1 ppg); 15th, total defense (315.4 ypg); 8th, rushing defense (108.4 ypg); 41st, passing defense (207 ypg)

Returning offensive starters: 6

Returning defensive starters: 4

Location: Orlando, Fla.

Stadium: Bright House Networks Stadium (Grass; 45,323)

Last league title: 2010

2011 schedule: [view]

2011 roster: [view]

2010 statistics: [view]

Snapshot: The Knights’ 2011 season could go a couple of different ways depending on the answers to a few questions.

A stifling defense lost several starters from a year ago; will the recruiting strides George O’Leary & Company have made over the past couple of years be enough to fill those holes, especially at linebacker? Quarterback Jeff Godfrey was phenomenal for a freshman in 2011, but can he take his game to the next level and avoid a sophomore malaise that affects some players at his position after opponents get the book on him? Arguably three of the Knights’ toughest conference games — SMU, Southern Miss and East Carolina — are all on the road. Given that they’ll be a younger team than they were in 2010 — they lost 19 seniors — can their talent belie their youth?

Our answers: probably, yes and yes, thus leading to O’Leary pulling in another conference title, another double-digit season in wins and another nationally-ranked season.

Make-or-break game: Sept. 23 at BYU

It’s a stretch to call this game make or break — that’s normally reserved for a conference game. However, this road contest may be a significant measuring stick for O’Leary as the trip to Provo could provide a litmus test for what may be down the road for the aforementioned three conference road games. Handling a quality opponent such as the Cougars in the fourth week of the season would bode well and perhaps give a little battle-tested confidence to the young Knights.

Heisman hopeful: Godfrey

As a true freshman, Godfrey completed nearly 67 percent of his 238 passes for almost 2,200 yards and 13 touchdowns. The eight interceptions might cause a little consternation, but, again, it was his first year as a starter at the collegiate level. Godfrey improved measurably from his first start of the year — the third game — through the “upset” bowl win over Georgia. It might be a year early for any type of Heisman hype, but Godfrey will likely plant the seeds for a 2012 run by building on the outstanding first year this season.

Postseason projection: Liberty Bowl

Return to CFT’s preseason Top 25

Conference USA preview, vote

Bret Bielema reportedly interviewing for Colorado job

Bret Bielema is interviewing for the Colorado head coaching position, according to reports Monday from NFL Network and ESPN.

Bielema tried to get in on the Michigan State job that, obviously, went to Mel Tucker, so now he’s in the running for the job Tucker left.

The former Wisconsin and Arkansas head coach joined Bill Belichick‘s witness protection program after his 2017 Arkansas firing, working for a year as “consultant to the head coach” in New England. He was promoted to defensive line coach and reportedly told friends he was in the running to become the defensive coordinator after Greg Schiano stepped down, but Belichick wound up giving that job to himself.

He wound up following Joe Judge from Foxboro to the New York Giants, but now has apparently decided he’d rather be back in college than work as a position coach at the NFL level.

Bielema went 68-24 at Wisconsin before his 29-34 flameout at Arkansas. His teams famously stuck to a ground-and-pound philosophy that worked like peanut butter and jelly in Madison but peanut butter and salsa in Fayetteville. So, should Colorado be as interested in Bielema as he apparently is in them, his offensive philosophy would figure to be question one in the interview.

Mel Tucker reels in 3-star RB who delayed signing after Dantonio retirement