Wright-Baker to start at QB for Indiana over ‘other’ Kiel

First-year head Indiana head coach Kevin Wilson spent his inaugural set of spring practice sessions watching the quarterback battle develop between sophomore Edward Wright-Baker and redshirt sophomore Dusty Kiel, with true freshman Tre Roberson added to the fray for summer camp.

The development is complete, and Wilson has apparently settled on a starter for Indiana’s opener.

The school’s student newspaper, the aptly named Indiana Daily Student, is reporting that Wright-Baker will start for the Hoosiers against Ball State.  The paper reports that Wright-Baker took all of the reps with the first-team offense during practice Thursday, which is obviously a significant signal that the job is his, at least for now.

Or, perhaps for longer than at least for now as the Indianapolis Star writes that “Wilson has said he will not have a quick hook with whoever gets the starting nod.”

Wright-Baker played in five games as a true freshman last season, throwing for 80 yards and a touchdown in 12 attempts.  Kiehl, whose brother Gunner is the No. 1 QB in the Class of 2012 according to Rivals.com and a recent Hoosiers verbal commit, will likely be the No. 2 QB after also playing in five games last season.

All three QBs are expected to see at least some playing time in the opener.

Pitt Special! Pitt stuns No. 15 UCF in thriller to snap UCF regular-season win streak

Photo by Justin Berl/Getty Images