Two full seasons into his tenure as Notre Dame’s head coach, Brian Kelly is already on the receiving end of some additional job security.
In a press release, the Irish announced that the school has exercised an option in Kelly’s original contract, which triggers a two-year contract extension for the coach. Kelly is now signed through the 2016 season.
There was no mention of whether a raise was triggered as well.
“While Coach Kelly and I are focused on the additional work that must be done to reach our goals, I am very pleased with the progress we have made during the past two years,” athletic director Jack Swarbrick said in a statement. “Our football team’s performance on the field, in the classroom, and in the community reflect Coach Kelly’s commitment to building a program that will be able to sustain success in the long run, and to doing so in a manner consistent with Notre Dame’s values and tradition.”
In his first two seasons in South Bend, Kelly has led the Irish to back-to-back 8-5 seasons. That’s the best two-year run at the school since the Irish won 19 games in 2005-06 under Charlie Weis, and the bowl win following the 2010 season was just the football program’s second since the 1993 season.
“I want to thank Father Jenkins and Jack Swarbrick for their unwavering support of me the last two years,” Kelly said. “My family and I are truly blessed to be at Notre Dame and we are excited about what the future holds for the Fighting Irish football team. I also want to thank Father John and Jack for the commitment they made to the football program last week by renewing the contracts of our assistant coaches. I think we have one of the finest coaching staffs in the country at Notre Dame, and the confidence our administration has shown in us is truly appreciated.”
The same FCS program has double-dipped in the NCAA transfer portal, FBS division, in bulking up the talent on its football roster.
Monday afternoon, Albany announced via social media that running back Alex James and fullback Max Anthony have officially signed with the program. James, a redshirt junior, comes to Albany from Coastal Carolina, Anthony, a fifth-year senior, from Rutgers.
As both players come to the Great Danes from the FBS ranks, they will each be eligible to play immediately in 2019.
The past two seasons for the Chanticleers, James has rushed for 475 yards and seven touchdowns on 114 carries. He also caught 16 passes for 87 yards and a touchdown.
Anthony had started six of the 27 games in which he played for the Scarlet Knights.
A sweeping college hoops scandal that’s engulfed the sport has now touched its gridiron counterpart.
Marty Blazer, a Pittsburgh financial advisor-turned government informant after pleading guilty to securities fraud charges, took the witness stand Tuesday in the college basketball fraud trial and levied some potentially explosive allegations. As part of his testimony, Blazer alleged that, between 2000-14, he paid football players from, among others, Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State and Pitt. The payments, some of which were in the thousands of dollars, were aimed at convincing the player to remain in college and not enter the NFL draft in the hopes that they would retain him as their financial adviser when they did turn pro.
The names of specific players were, for the most part, not mentioned by Blazer.
The most damning of the accusations made by Blazer seems to involve Penn State during the Joe Paterno era. Specifically, Blazer alleges that he paid the father of then-Penn State player Aaron Maybin $10,000, with the payment being made at the behest of an unnamed Paterno assistant coach.
If accurate, the NCAA would consider such an arrangement a major infraction. It’s unclear what, if any, action The Association will take on the football side of the accusations made under oath.
Requests for comment from each of the football programs mentioned in Blazer’s testimony have not yet been met with a response.
You can go ahead and add Kentucky to the burgeoning list of FBS schools that have lost signal-callers to the infamous portal.
On his personal Twitter account Tuesday morning, Kentucky’s Gunnar Hoak wrote that, “[a]fter much thought and consideration, I have decided to put my name in the NCAA transfer portal.” As Hoak is set to graduate from UK very early next month, the quarterback would be eligible to play immediately at another FBS program immediately in 2019.
As an added bonus for whichever school he ultimately chooses, Hoak has two seasons of eligibility available.
After losing out in the quarterback competition that ended in summer camp, Hoak spent the 2018 season as starter Terry Wilson‘s primary backup. In that role, Hoak completed 13 of his 26 passes for 167 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.
Coming out of high school in Dublin, Ohio, Hoak was a three-star 2016 signee.
Jonathan Taylor is on track to be one of the most prolific running backs in college football history, but, this spring, he’ll be giving a whole new meaning to the phrase “on track.”
Wisconsin confirmed Tuesday that the Badgers running back will run in at least three meets with the UW track & field team this spring. Taylor will make his collegiate track debut this weekend at the Penn Relays. Additionally, he’ll run in the university’s Alumni Classic May 3 and the Big Ten Championships May 10-12.
Taylor will be running a leg of the 4×100-meter relay team, and would run in the NCAA prelims as well if they qualify.
Taylor, one of a handful of preseason Heisman Trophy favorites, is no stranger to the track as he won a pair of New Jersey state high school titles in the 100-meter dash.
As a true freshman in 2017, his 1,977 yards were third nationally. This past season, he led the country in rushing with 2,194 yards. If Taylor were to rush for at least 2,235 yards in 2018 — five players in FBS history have surpassed that total in college football history, most recently San Diego State’s Rashaad Penny in 2017 — he would break Donnel Pumphrey‘s all-time record of 6,405 career rushing yards.