Updated: Kansas QB found out of his dismissal via Twitter

7 Comments

Yesterday, Kansas coach Charlies Weis held a Q & A for over 30 minutes with reporters, during which time he spoke about a variety of topics, ranging from introductions of new players (Dayne Crist, Jake Heaps and Justin McCay) to the dismissal/departures of 10 players from the program (it was reported yesterday as just a handful of departures when in fact it was more like two).

Included in that group was quarterback Brock Berglund, who spent most of the 2011 year dealing with a legal issue that turned out to be a third-degree assault case in his home state of Colorado.

Weis wouldn’t go into great detail about the 10 cases, but an interesting tidbit was written about Berglund’s dismissal. Apparently, Berglund found out about it via Twitter, rather than from the coaches. From KUSports.com‘s recap:

Berglund, whose highly publicized legal battle in Colorado kept him away from the program for nearly all of the 2011 season, called the Journal-World on Monday evening and said he learned of his dismissal via Twitter. The freshman quarterback who said he will pursue playing options at other schools said he planned to return to Kansas as recently as a week ago but had softened on the idea after learning that his request to contact others to discuss his future had been denied. KU officials said Berglund sent an email to several people in the KU athletic department at 3:08 p.m. Sunday informing them that he would not be at a mandatory 5 p.m. Sunday team meeting. The fact he missed it was enough for Weis to make the decision for him.

“He was considered dismissed from the team for not attending the mandatory team meeting,” a KU spokesperson said of Berglund.

Obviously, there are several unknown factors here and KU hasn’t officially offered a response to this report. It seems Berglund was already thinking of other options and it’s not uncommon for a new coach to kick players to the curb if they don’t “meet expectations” just as the coach is bringing in two new transfers. Weis said yesterday that each of the players dismissed had an opportunity to return to the team provided they met certain criteria, and that they did not.

The point is that these things happen, as unfortunate as they may be; the concerning part is that Berglund reportedly was made aware of his dismissal in the worst possible way. Whether KU attempted to contact him with the news or not hasn’t been revealed.

But no matter how the whole thing went down, this sounds like a case where a split is the best thing for both sides.

UPDATED 5:30 p.m. ET: Berglund has come forward and shared his version of the story with TheShiver.com. The quarterback doesn’t divulge too many things that the Journal-World does not, although it sounds more and more like Weis didn’t give Berglund “the opportunity to come back.”

Of course, that’s to be expected from someone who was just dismissed from the team, but Weis doesn’t come out smelling too good from both reports.

Sanford to Samford: ex-Georgia LB Jaleel Laguins heads to FCS

Getty Images
Leave a comment

From Sanford to Samford, and Bulldogs to Bulldogs, Jaleel Laguins has settled on his new college football home.

In an announcement posted to his personal Twitter account Thursday evening, Laguins confirmed that he has decided to enroll in classes at Samford and continue his playing career with the FCS Bulldogs.  The move comes almost exactly one month after the linebacker used the same social media website to announce his transfer from Georgia.

As Samford plays at a level below the FBS, Laguins will avoid having to sit out the 2018 season.

A four-star member of the Bulldogs’ 2016 recruiting class, Laguins was rated as the No. 10 inside linebacker in the country and the No. 21 player at any position in the state of Georgia. He was the top-rated linebacker in UGA’s class that year, and only three signees on the defensive side of the ball — defensive tackles Julian Rochester and Michail Carter, and defensive end Chauncey Manac — were rated higher.

As a true freshman, Laguins played in six games. He took a redshirt for this past season, and would have to sit out the 2018 season if he moved on to another FBS program.

Ohio State transfer Jared Drake moves on to the FCS

Getty Images
1 Comment

After moving on from Ohio State, Jared Drake has opted to drop a couple of rungs on the college football ladder in continuing his playing career.

On his personal Twitter account Thursday, Drake announced “that the next stop on this long journey will be with the Leathernecks of Western Illinois University!” As Western Illinois plays at the FCS level, the linebacker will be eligible to play immediately in 2018.

Drake came to the Buckeyes as a walk-on in 2015.  he played in nine games the past two seasons, almost exclusively on special teams.

According to his official OSU bio, Drake had “added long snapping to his résumé along with his responsibilities as a linebacker.”

Houston, UTSA announce tweaks to twin home-and-homes

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The aftereffects of Hurricane Harvey continue to linger, in this case as it pertains to college football scheduling.

Houston and UT-San Antonio in March of 2016 announced a future four-game series, with two of the games set to be played at the latter’s home (2017, 2023) and two in the former’s (2022, 2024). Because of the once-in-500 years flooding event in the Houston area last August, however, the 2017 game was canceled.

In a press release Thursday, UTSA confirmed that the canceled 2017 game will now be played on Aug. 30, 2025, at TDECU Stadium in Houston. The 2023 game, which had been scheduled to be played in San Antonio, will now be played in Houston.

The 2022 and 2024 games had been scheduled for Houston’s home but will now be played in San Antonio’s Alamodome.

The two football teams have met twice previously, in 2013 and 2014. The road teams won each of those matchups, with the Roadrunners spoiling the opening of UH’s new stadium in the 2014 game.

Oregon LB arrested for removing parking boot dismissed by Ducks

Getty Images
1 Comment

In April, Fotu Leiato was arrested on a couple of charges related to the illegal removal of a parking boot from his vehicle.  A month later, we’ve learned Leiato was given the boot from his current football program for good measure.

247Sports.com was the first to report that Leiato has been dismissed by first-year Oregon head coach Mario Cristobal.  Further to the point, the linebacker’s dismissal came a day after his April arrest but the news didn’t surface until Thursday.

In the April incident, Leiato was arrested on charges of second-degree criminal mischief, second-degree theft and criminal trespassing.  That was actually his second arrest this year as he was charged with misdemeanor trespassing in January.

The combination of the two arrests led Cristobal to pull the trigger on a dismissal.

Coming to Eugene as a three-star safety, Leiato played in 37 of 38 games the past three seasons.  The Washington native earned the first start of his collegiate playing career during the 2017 season.

The senior had been in line to earn a starting job exiting spring and heading into the summer phase of the offseason.