Ex-UCF QB headed to the Hilltoppers

It’s still a week and a half or so until National Signing Day, but Willie Taggart has reportedly has reportedly landed his most significant signee since coming to Western Kentucky.

According to the school’s student newspaper, the WKU Herald, quarterback DaMarcus Smith has transferred to the Hilltoppers and is enrolled at the university.  Smith reportedly arrived on campus Friday afternoon.

WKU has not yet confirmed Smith’s signing.

If accurate, the reported move would end what’s been a tumultuous year or so for the touted QB prospect.  Smith was a long-time verbal commitment to Louisville before — much to the chagrin of those in his home city — flipping his commitment on signing day last year to UCF.  He subsequently came down with a case of cold feet over his signing with the Knights, and his request to be released from his scholarship was initially denied by the school.

Smith was rated as the No. 2 player in the state of Kentucky by Rivals.com for the Class of 2011, and was the No. 11 dual-threat QB according to the recruiting service.

Smith will also reportedly see a familiar face on the WKU campus as wide receiver Michael Fluellen is enrolled, the paper writes.  Fluellen and Smith, a 2011 recruit who never committed or signed with a school during the last recruiting cycle, were teammates at Louisville Seneca High School.

In addition to WKU, the 6-4, 220-pound receiver had also been connected to Kentucky, UCF and Marshall during recent months.

Royal Wedding barely beats CFP title game in TV ratings