EVANSTON, Ill.—Head Coach Pat Fitzgerald and the Northwestern University football program announced today the signing of 21 recruits to National Letters of Intent.
This year’s class features 10 offensive players, 10 defensive players and one specialist. Northwestern’s 21 commits hail from 10 states. The Wildcats signed 13 of their 21 players from three states—five from Pennsylvania, four from Illinois and four from Ohio. Northwestern also landed players from Texas (2), California (1), Florida (1), Kentucky (1), Massachusetts (1), Michigan (1) and Missouri (1).
In addition, Northwestern announced this past weekend the addition of highly touted wide receiver Kyle Prater (Maywood, Ill./Proviso West), who is transferring to Northwestern from USC.
“Obviously, we’re excited about this recruiting class,” said NU Coach Pat Fitzgerald. “There are some tremendous young men from great families and great high school programs who, we believe, fit all our needs and will help us take the next step in becoming a championship program. I want to thank all of our support staff for all that they’ve done and all of their efforts in recruiting this class.”
Northwestern graduated 25 student-athletes from its 2011 bowl squad, 12 of them offensive players and the other 13 on defense. The Wildcats are returning 11 starters in 2012, along with all of their key specialists.
Signing Day Notes:
• The breakdown on NU’s signees, by position: offensive line (4), defensive backs (4), defensive line (3),
linebacker (3), wide receivers (2), running backs (2), superback (2) and long snapper (1).
• The 21 signees represent the largest recruiting class in Pat Fitzgerald’s six years as NU’s head coach.
Ironically, the 21-member class does not include a quarterback. Northwestern signed 20 players in 2008
and 19 in 2007.
• For the third straight year, Northwestern added a pair of players from the same high school—Ian Park
and Jack Schwaba from Upper St. Clair H.S., a suburb of Pittsburgh. Geoff Mogus and Deonte Gibson from
St. Edward H.S. in suburban Cleveland joined the ’Cats in 2011 after NU snagged Trevor Siemian and
Rashad Lawrence from Olympia High School in Orlando in 2010.
• With the addition of Joseph Jones and Malin Jones, NU is expected to have six players with the last name
Jones on its 2012 roster.
• There are 16 team captains in this class.
• Northwestern received oral commitments from 13 of its 21 signees prior to the start of their senior
football season (before Aug. 15).
• Facebook played a role in the recruitment of all 21 signees.