Playoff resolution coming in September?

12 Comments

Playoff discussions took a hit — or, at least encountered a bump in the road — last week when the BCS committee, composed of 11 conference commissioner’s and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick, decided to hand the responsibility of choosing college football’s postseason to the BCS’ Presidential Oversight Committee.

The presidents/chancellors had the final say in the playoff conversation anyway, but instead of approving/denying one idea, the committee will now have “options” from which to choose. “Our job is just to narrow and refine the options,” Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said last week.

Point is, don’t count on a decision of any kind in the next couple of weeks. Kirk Bohls of the Austin-American Statesman reports, citing sources, that the committee likely won’t decide on a playoff format until September because they will “have only four hours on June 26 in Washington, D.C., to digest, consider and approve one of the options handed them” by the BCS committee.

More from Bohls:

I’m told by an industry source that the Pac-12 and Big Ten feel that the SEC and Big 12 may be trying to ‘railroad through’ a four-team tournament, when the former two conferences are advocating a plus-one idea after the existing bowl games. “This thing is very fluid,he said. “These men are looking at this as their legacy.”

It should be noted that when playoff conversations first began earlier this year, the timeline to have a format finalized was the end of summer, so the fact that Bohls is throwing around a September deadline shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. The unexpected part was the BCS committee handing off the baton to the Presidential Oversight Committee for the final 100 meters.

By presenting the committee with several options, the BCS committee has acknowledged that all possibilities in varying degrees of probability are still on the table. Keep in mind that some of the presidents/chancellors on the oversight committee are far more conservative than their own conference commissioners.

Louisville transfer reverses course after Bobby Petrino was fired, will remain with Cardinals

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Bobby Petrino Era, y’all!

Last week, it was reported that Russ Yeast had decided to leave the Louisville football program and transfer to an undetermined elsewhere.  Sunday, the university announced that Petrino has been fired as the Cardinals’ head football coach.

Those two stories are intertwined as, in the wake of Petrino’s dismissal, the Louisville Courier-Journal reported that Yeast has reversed course on his transfer and will remain with the team.

In fact, the Courier-Journal wrote, “the sophomore cornerback was back with the Cards for team meetings on Sunday night and is expected to practice this week.”

Yeast, the son of former Kentucky wide receiver Craig Yeast, started seven games in 2017 due to injuries ahead of him on the depth chart. He had played in nine games this season, with zero starts, prior to what turned out to be a brief sabbatical.

A three-star member of the Cardinals’ 2017 recruiting class, Yeast was rated as the No. 33 cornerback in the country and the No. 3 player at any position in the state of Indiana. Only two signees in the U of L’s class that year (safety CJ Avery, running back Colin Wilson) were rated higher.

Oklahoma dismisses OL Tramonda Moore

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Another day, another college football player has seen the wrong end of his head coach’s boot.

On that front, Oklahoma confirmed Tuesday that Tramonda Moore has been dismissed from Lincoln Riley‘s football program.  The only reason given was the standard unspecified violations of team rules.

Moore had originally signed with Bedlam rival Oklahoma State in 2016 but didn’t qualify academically with the school and was forced to go the junior college route.  After a couple of years at Independent Community College in Kansas, the offensive lineman transferred to OU over the summer.

Through 10 games, Moore hadn’t played a down for the Sooners.

Moore was a four-star recruit coming out of high school in Oklahoma City and was rated as the No. 1 player at any position in the state of Oklahoma in 2016. He was a four-star JUCO prospect as well, rated by 247Sports.com on its composite board as the No. 4 recruit overall at that level in 2018.

All-American Ed Oliver to miss fourth straight game for Houston

Getty Images
Leave a comment

At least this week there won’t be any pre-kickoff drama.

Because of an injury suffered to his right knee in the Week 8 win over Navy, Ed Oliver has missed the past three games as he works through the issue.  With a key AAC West matchup with Tulane looming Thursday night, head coach Major Applewhite confirmed Tuesday that the standout defensive lineman will be sidelined for the Green Wave game because of the same injury issue.

Double-teamed most times — and even triple-teamed on occasion — Oliver was held sack-less through the first six games of this season.  The last two in which he played, however, he was credited with three — two against East Carolina, one against Navy.

In March of this year, Oliver announced that the 2018 season would be his last at the collegiate level as he will leave the Cougars early and make himself available for the 2019 NFL draft, where he is widely projected to be a Top Five selection at worst.

After a consensus Freshman All-American season that saw him land on numerous first-team All-American squads, Oliver was a consensus All-American in a 2017 season that saw him become the first underclassman to win the Outland Trophy in the 70-year history of the award.

In his first two seasons with the Cougars, the 6-3, 290-pound Oliver had totaled 39.5 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks.  In addition to the three sacks, Oliver has 13.5 tackles for loss this season; his 1.9 tackles for loss were tied for third nationally prior to his injury.

At 4-2, Houston is currently tied for first place in the AAC West with SMU and Tulane.  Houston has already lost to SMU this season, while they’ll face Memphis in the regular-season finale.  Whether Oliver will (or should) play in that game, or any other for the Cougars for that matter, remains to be seen.

Michigan State staying mum on starting QB

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Brian Lewerke or Rocky Lombardi? Stay tuned to find out.

Lewerke, the starter for most of the last two seasons, has been working his way through an injury to his right (throwing) shoulder. His streak of 20 straight starts was snapped last month because of the injury as Lombardi took over in the win over Purdue, although Lewerke returned to start the last two games.

In that last game, a loss to Ohio State, Lewerke struggled mightily (again), leading to questions as to just who will get the starting nod this Saturday against Nebraska. Posed that very question, Mark Dantonio declined to give any indication as to which direction he may be leaning.

“We make decisions and as we go forward those decisions become complicated at times, but we do the very best we can and everybody’s involved,” the head coach said by way of mlive.com. “I don’t really think it’s in this team’s best interest to air those decisions prior to football games. I think that’s something that needs to be kept in-house for everybody’s best benefits.”

Prior to suffering the injury in the Oct. 13 win over Penn State, Lewerke was completing 60 percent of his passes. Since then, he’s completing just 35 percent.

In his lone start, Lombardi went 26-of-46 for 318 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions.