NYT: Paterno got ‘sweeter deal’ in middle of Sandusky investigation

56 Comments

As is often the case when scandals of this magnitude are uncovered, the reputation that Penn State and former football coach Joe Paterno spent decades building together continues to be torn to shreds.

Thursday’s Freeh report uncovered that the longtime coach was aware of a 1998 investigation of former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky related to “grooming” a victim for sexual abuse, something Paterno lied about as recently as this past January in a Washington Post interview.

Based on the internal investigation initiated by the school’s Board of Trustees last November, Paterno and several high-ranking university officials knew what Sandusky was doing and failed to take proper measures against it for over a decade.

Now, a New York Times story reports that Paterno and PSU officials were working through contract negotiations in 2011 even though the Pennsylvania state attorney general’s office was investigating Sandusky again for child-sex abuse, and that Paterno had already testified in front of the grand jury.

According to the story, Paterno knew in January, 2011, that prosecutors were investigating Sandusky. That same month, Paterno began negotiating his contract, which was not set to expire until the end of 2012, with his bosses. By August, 2011, Paterno and former university president Graham Spanier reportedly reached an agreement.

That agreement was to pay Paterno $3 million to retire at the end of the ’11 season, roughly $2 million more than what he reportedly earned every year in salary before other incentives. Other details said to be included were the use of the university’s private plane and a luxury box at Beaver Stadium for him and his family for the next 25 years. Additionally, $350,000 in interest-free loans to Paterno would be forgiven as part of the deal.

Impeccable timing.

The Times reports that a majority of the board “was kept in the dark about the arrangement” until November. When the Sandusky scandal broke open that month, Paterno told the trustees he would retire on his own following the end of the season, even though that was already the apparent agreement. He never got that chance, as he and Spanier were fired shortly thereafter.

What reportedly followed was a back and forth both among trustees, as well as the board and the Paterno family, over the details of the contract. “There were some who argued that it was unseemly to pay the remainder of the money and other perks owed to Mr. Paterno,” the Times reports. “They wondered whether, given Mr. Paterno’s failings, it might be possible to nullify the contract, or at least renegotiate it and reduce the payout.

“Others worried about the hostility they would face if they tried to strip Mr. Paterno, still beloved in many quarters of the campus, of money that he was contractually owed — a prospect that grew even more worrisome after he died on Jan. 22 this year.”

Eventually, the Paterno family got almost everything it wanted, except for the aforementioned private plane and luxury box (it was offered the choice of two others), in a package worth reportedly around $5.5 million in April.

“We were providing for payments due under the contract,” said Frank T. Guadagnino, a lawyer hired by the board in November, to the Times. “So we weren’t really negotiating.”

Board chair Karen Peetz said Friday after a meeting that there is no timeline for removing Paterno’s name and likeness from multiple areas around the university’s campus.

Former Michigan, Notre Dame WR Freddy Canteen lands at Tulane

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Maybe the third time will be the charm for Freddy Canteen?

Canteen spent the 2014 and 2015 seasons at Michigan before transferring to Notre Dame.  After spending the 2016 and 2017 seasons at Notre Dame, the wide receiver announced on Twitter last month that he would be transferring from the Fighting Irish as well.

Wednesday, Tulane confirmed in a press release that Canteen has been added to its 2018 football roster.  As a graduate transfer, Canteen will be eligible to play for the Green Wave immediately in 2018.  In fact, the upcoming season could be the first of the receiver’s two years of eligibility he’ll have available, although that has yet to be confirmed.

Canteen was a four-star member of U-M’s 2014 recruiting class, rated as the No. 45 receiver in the country and the No. 4 player at any position in the state of Maryland.

In the span of 15 games and three starts in two seasons with the Wolverines, Canteen caught six passes for 22 yards.  After sitting out the 2016 season, Canteen played in just three games for the Fighting Irish this past year — one catch for seven yards — before suffering what turned out to be a season-ending shoulder injury.

Oregon State officially loses Mike Riley to spring football league

Getty Images
Leave a comment

With summer camp set to kickoff in less than two months, Jonathan Smith officially has a hole to fill on his Oregon State coaching staff.

Wednesday, it was reported that Mike Riley was expected to be named as the first head coach of the Alliance of American Football’s San Antonio franchise.  Thursday afternoon, it was confirmed by the spring pro football league that Riley had indeed been hired to guide the fledgling team.

“There already is tremendous interest from coaches around the country to join our team,” the Beavers head coach said in a statement. “We will hire the right coach who will help us build on the significant momentum we have underway in recruiting and student-athlete development.

“I want to thank Coach Riley for his contribution to our program and wish him best in his new challenge.”

Riley, who spent two stints totaling 14 years as OSU’s head coach, returned to Corvallis in December of last year, two weeks after he was fired as the head coach at Nebraska.  He was hired to serve as the Beavers’ assistant head coach and tight ends coach, for which he would be paid the princely sum of $50,000.

Former five-star WR Demetris Robertson tweets transfer from Cal

Getty Images
Leave a comment

One of the top players in the Class of 2016 is on the move.

On his personal Twitter account Thursday afternoon, Demetris Robertson announced that he has “decided not to continue my education and football career at UC Berkeley.” The Cal wide receiver said he made his decision to leave the football program because of unspecified personal matters.

Robertson will have to sit out the 2018 season if/when he transfers to another FBS program.  He would then have two years of eligibility at his disposal beginning with the 2019 season.

A five-star member of the Golden Bears’ 2016 recruiting class, Robertson was rated as the No. 1 receiver in the country; the No. 3 player at any position in the state of Georgia; and the No. 13 player overall on 247Sports.com‘s composite board.  Robertson’s initial recruitment was an unusual one as he didn’t sign until May 1, nearly three months after National Signing Day, and then stunned the college football recruiting world by picking Cal over Notre Dame and home-state Georgia.

Given the fact that he’s from the state and described “personal matters” as his reason for leaving the Golden Bears, the Bulldogs will likely be viewed as the initial favorite to land one of the fastest players in college football.

At Cal, Robertson, at least initially, lived up to the recruiting hype as he was second on the team as a true freshman with 50 receptions for 767 yards and seven touchdowns.  His 15.3 yards per catch were tops on the team.  After catching seven passes for 70 yards the first two games of the 2017 season, however, he was sidelined for the remainder of the year by what turned out to be a season-ending lower-body injury.

Lane Kiffin pushed back against wearing bulletproof vest in return to Tennessee as Alabama OC

Getty Images
2 Comments

College football, y’all.

Suffice to say, Lane Kiffin‘s departure from Rocky Top after one season as head coach at Tennessee for the same job at USC left a bad taste in the mouth of many members of Vols Nation.  How bad of a taste?  From ESPN.com in January of 2010:

But the real trick for Kiffin was figuring out a way to leave the Neyland-Thompson Sports Center late Tuesday night in one piece.

Groups of angry students and fans began surrounding the football complex after the news leaked that Kiffin had taken the USC job. Eventually, it evolved into a mob-like scene, with police moving in and barricading Johnny Majors Drive in front of the football complex.

Every time a car moved anywhere in the vicinity of the complex, the mob ran in that direction, shouting and chanting, “F— you Kiffin!

Fast-forward nearly five years, and Kiffin made his return — a triumphant, winning return as it turned out — to Neyland Stadium as the offensive coordinator at rival Alabama in October of 2014.  Ahead of that return, security was fearful for Kiffin’s life.  So fearful, in fact, that they wanted the former Volunteers head coach to wear a bulletproof vest into the famed stadium.

At least that’s what the current Florida Atlantic head coach claimed on Marty Smith‘s podcast, by way of 247Sports.com:

It’s crazy. They were literally talking about like — from the bus in — a bulletproof vest. I’m like, ‘Come on, guys. This is football.’ They said, ‘No, really.’ They had security with me the whole way, even walking on the field and stuff like that,” Kiffin said. “I’m just like ‘I’m not wearing a vest, guys. All right?’ That’s a little bit over the top. It was all in fun. There was a lot of mean words said — four-letter words. That speaks of Tennessee’s fans, just how passionate they are. I think Phillip Fulmer said it the other day, ‘We have the most passionate fans in the country.

Of course, all that angst and anger had waned by the time UT’s next search for a head coach kicked off as a small but very vocal portion of the fanbase actually wanted the one-time Knoxville pariah to replace Butch Jones late last year.  Hell, it was even reported that, in the midst of what was a circus of a search, “Lane is definitely on board if Tennessee gives him a call” about returning as head coach.

Ah, what could’ve been…