Back in late November, defensive tackle Brandon Jenkins announced he would forego an attempt at a medical redshirt and instead make himself available for the April NFL draft. As expected, Jenkins wasn’t the lone loss from the Seminoles’ standout defense.
Following FSU’s Orange Bowl win over Northern Illinois, cornerback Xavier Rhodes announced that he too will leave eligibility on the table for a shot at the upcoming NFL draft.
“I’m excited,” Rhodes said of his decision by way of the Tallahassee Democrat. “After last year I was thinking about it. And then I stayed healthy this season. I wanted to basically focus on this season and not really worry about it (the NFL). I wanted to get my team here. That’s what I did.”
After a season that saw him tied for the team lead in interceptions with three and lead the ‘Noles in passes defensed, the redshirt junior was named first-team All-ACC. Rhodes, a three-star member of FSU’s 2009 recruiting class, started 37 games during his career in Tallahassee.
Unfortunately for the ‘Noles, Rhodes and Jenkins might not be the only early defensive losses.
Three other players from that side of the ball, including All-American Bjoern Werner, are considering leaving early. Werner in particular is considered both a lock to leave and to be selected in the top 10 of the draft; the standout defensive lineman said after the Orange Bowl that he has made a decision but will wait to officially reveal it so as not to detract from the win.
An official announcement could come as early as today.
If you had the SEC in “next conference to reset the Days Without An Arrest ticker” pool, go ahead and collect your winnings.
According to the Columbia State, South Carolina’s Javon Charleston was arrested earlier this month on one count each of assault and burglary. The charges stem from an incident that occurred during the early-morning hours of June 17.
The alleged victim claims that Charleston, after she stopped responding to his text messages, broke into her house and, after finding her in bed with another male, engaged in a verbal altercation with the man and ultimately chased him out of the residence. It was after that when the woman claims she was physically assaulted by Charleston, who allegedly referred to her as a “dirty slut” in the process of the alleged assault.
Charleston, the newspaper wrote, “told the police he knew the woman and the code to get into the residence and that he went to check on her when she stopped texting him, believing that she was drunk.”
As a result of the arrest, Charleston has been indefinitely suspended by the football program.
Charleston was initially a walk-on to the Gamecocks who was placed on scholarship during summer camp last year. The wide receiver/defensive back appeared in 13 games last season, with most of those appearances coming on special teams. He has been competing for a starting safety job throughout the offseason.
Chad Morris was hired in early December and has already gone through his spring practice at Arkansas but just signed that big new contract with the school this week.
The practice of working for a new program but not formally signing a contract isn’t new (just ask Texas A&M and Jimbo Fisher) but all the parties in Fayetteville finally got pen to paper in recent days to finalize the deal, according to the Arkansas Democrat Gazette. The deal runs through the end of the 2023 season and will pay Morris roughly $3.5 million in base salary with plenty more available for the head coach to collect in bonuses:
Morris will be eligible for up to $1 million in competition-based bonuses and $200,000 in academic-based bonuses each year, and is eligible for three retention payments of $500,000 apiece, contingent that no “significant” NCAA violations have occurred and the program is not on NCAA probation at the time the payments are due in February of 2019, 2021 and 2023.
(AD Hunter) Yurachek said he signed the contract last Friday and it was executed with the signatures of University of Arkansas, Fayetteville chancellor Joseph Steinmetz and UA system president Donald Bobbitt this week.
Thankfully, there’s no complicated buyout structure like there was with former head coach Bret Bielema. If Morris wants to leave for another job, he’d owe $3 million prior to Dec. 31, 2019 and decreasing amounts each year afterward. If he’s fired by the school before the final day of 2022, he will receive 70 percent of his $3.5 million annual salary until the end of 2023. If he is fired on or after Jan. 1, 2023, he will take the full $3.5 million he’s owed.
Funny enough though, according to the Democrat Gazette, his boss still hasn’t signed his own deal with the school despite being formally hired the day before Morris was last December. One down, one to go we guess.
Death Valley is staying dry.
Clemson athletic director Dan Radakovich spoke to the Post and Courier this week and pretty flatly rejected joining the burgeoning bandwagon in college athletics and allowing beer and/or alcohol sales at the Tigers’ football stadium.
“It hasn’t been a huge topic here because we really don’t look at that as something moving forward inside Memorial Stadium that is on our list of things to get done,” Radakovich said. “There’s a different atmosphere at our games.”
Alcohol is not sold anywhere at the stadium for Clemson home games though there are some unique cases where fan can bring some to specific areas prior to game day for consumption after kickoff.
The policy stands in stark contrast to some of their fellow ACC schools, as everybody from Pitt to Louisville to Wake Forest have begun sales. There’s been significant debate in the SEC on opening things up on the same front and major programs like Penn State to smaller ones like Fresno State are cashing in on the new revenue stream.
It doesn’t sound like the Tigers will be joining them anytime soon.
“Our people in the parking lot have a good time. There’s no question about that,” Radakovich added. “But inside the stadium, I think it’s a little different.”
Mike Gundy and Mike Holder better patch up their relationship because both are set to be in Stillwater a lot longer.
Days after the Cowboys head coach and athletic director got into an interesting back-and-forth over the former’s recruiting prowess following the latter’s comments, Holder received a new contract extension that will keep him at the school through 2021.
Gundy himself is signed a year beyond that as part of the new five-year deal he inked after the 2017 season.
The new deal with Holder includes a hefty six-figure raise from the $644,371 he made from the school last year. There was a point early in his tenure where he was one of the Big 12’s lowest paid AD’s but that story has shifted significantly over the years as OSU’s budget has climbed, with the school taking in some $93 million in revenue according to the latest figures.
Given all of the new contracts, hopefully both Holder and Gundy will both have a conversation in the coming months to get back on the same page and patch up their relationship — because both are set to be attached at the hip in Stillwater for several more years.