Somewhat unexpectedly, and following the “resignation” of athletic director Tim Pernetti (pictured, foreground), Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany (pictured, background) released a statement Friday addressing the Mike Rice situation at Rutgers.
Not so surprisingly, Delany confirmed what most already knew — the school’s future membership is in no way in jeopardy.
While calling the former Scarlet Knight basketball coach’s actions “egregious and unacceptable,” and saying that his conference “will continue to monitor the situation,” Delany said in the statement that “it will have no impact on Rutgers’ transition to, or membership in, the Big Ten Conference.”
Delany added that the hiring and firing of personnel such as coaches falls solely under the purview of the university. Below is the full text of the commissioner’s statement:
“The conduct displayed by Mike Rice in the videotapes recently released by ESPN was egregious and unacceptable. Rutgers University has acknowledged that its initial response was insufficient and that more needed to be done. Its review of this matter is ongoing. The Big Ten Conference Council of Presidents and Chancellors has been studying issues surrounding institutional control for several months and continues its work in this area.
“In the context of that review, one thing that has become clear is that the hiring, retention and firing of institutional personnel, including coaches, lies solely in the hands of the individual institutions and their boards. While we remain interested in the outcome of Rutgers’ review, and will continue to monitor the situation as appropriate, it will have no impact on Rutgers’ transition to, or membership in, the Big Ten Conference.”
Along with Maryland, Rutgers will officially become members of the Big Ten in July of 2014. Both schools announced late last year their decisions to leave their current conferences.
The tradition of the groom’s cake shaped like a football stadium is nothing new, but one bride-to-be had a little more fun with her groom’s cake planning than others we have seen through the years.
The groom’s cake for an LSU fan is a nice replica of LSU’s Tiger Stadium (for a cake, of course), but this Texas A&M bride made sure to include Aggie representation in a visiting fan’s section. But that’s not all. A closer look at the scoreboard even reveals the score to be in favor of Texas A&M, 42-28. I had to zoom the image pretty far just to confirm myself, but I was able to make out the 42 under the Texas A&M side of the scoreboard. I’ll trust ESPN’s Darren Rovell on the other half of the score.
Of course, this may be the only way the bride can get the upper hand in this football series. LSU has won seven straight meetings in the series dating back to the 2011 Cotton Bowl just before Texas A&M joined the SEC in 2012. Also, the last time Texas A&M scored over 40 points on LSU was in a 45-7 victory in College Station in 1991.
I just want to know if former Les Miles got a chance to taste test the field portion of the cake.
Back in 2010, BYU and Notre Dame agreed to a six-year football contract that was supposed to include a home game for BYU before 2021. With two games already played in South Bend, BYU fans are getting a little curious as to when exactly the Irish will make their trip to Provo, Utah. BYU Athletics Director Tom Holmoe said on Friday during BYU’s football media day he is confident BYU will get that anticipated home game on the schedule.
Holmoe said he continues to have “good discussions” with Notre Dame in hopes of scheduling a future home game against the Irish. As Holmoe put it, the end result for BYU should be “better than a check.” If a game can’t be agreed upon, whether it be a true home game for BYU or a potential neutral site game in an NFL stadium, then Notre Dame will have to buy out of the game. It seems as though Holmoe is determined to not have that be the reality.
The original deal signed between BYU and Notre Dame essentially lined up a pair of 2-for-1 arrangements to give Notre Dame two home games for each BYU home game (or a neutral site location in its place). The second half of the agreement has since been wiped out once Notre Dame lined up a scheduling agreement with the ACC to play five ACC opponents each season. Notre Dame also has games against USC, Stanford, and Navy that the school has preferred to keep on the schedule. With the way Notre Dame has organized its schedule, staying faithful to an agreement with BYU was seemingly not a top priority.
Notre Dame’s 2019 schedule is already booked with 12 games including matchups against Louisville, Georgia, USC, Michigan, Virginia Tech, Navy, and Stanford. The 2020 schedule for the Golden Domers is also full with matchups against Arkansas, Wisconsin, and Clemson in the mix. If Notre Dame is going to make room for a game against BYU, it won’t be happening until at least 2021, which currently has one game still to add. Notre Dame will already have one neutral site game that season, with a matchup against Wisconsin in Chicago.
Another of the five Arkansas players to leave the football program has found a new college home.
Exactly eight days after announcing on Twitter that he was leaving Chad Morris‘ first-year squad, Maleek Barkley took to the same social media website to announce that he has decided to transfer to Montana State. As the Big Sky Conference school plays at the FCS level, the running back-turned-wide receiver will be eligible to play for the Bobcats immediately in 2018.
Including the upcoming season, Barkley will have four years of eligibility that he can use.
Barkley, a three-star 2017 signee, began his Razorbacks career as a running back before moving to wide receiver this offseason by new head coach Chad Morris this offseason. He took a redshirt his true freshman season.
In addition to Barkley, four other UA players on scholarship have transferred this offseason — tight end Will Gragg (to Pitt), tight end Jake Hall (to SMU), defensive back Korey Hernandez (to Iowa Western) and safety Reid Miller (to Montana). Additionally, center Zach Rogers opted to give up his football career with the Razorbacks to pursue a job in law enforcement.
If you had the SEC in “next conference to reset the Days Without An Arrest ticker” pool, go ahead and collect your winnings.
According to the Columbia State, South Carolina’s Javon Charleston was arrested earlier this month on one count each of assault and burglary. The charges stem from an incident that occurred during the early-morning hours of June 17.
The alleged victim claims that Charleston, after she stopped responding to his text messages, broke into her house and, after finding her in bed with another male, engaged in a verbal altercation with the man and ultimately chased him out of the residence. It was after that when the woman claims she was physically assaulted by Charleston, who allegedly referred to her as a “dirty slut” in the process of the alleged assault.
Charleston, the newspaper wrote, “told the police he knew the woman and the code to get into the residence and that he went to check on her when she stopped texting him, believing that she was drunk.”
As a result of the arrest, Charleston has been indefinitely suspended by the football program.
Charleston was initially a walk-on to the Gamecocks who was placed on scholarship during summer camp last year. The wide receiver/defensive back appeared in 13 games last season, with most of those appearances coming on special teams. He has been competing for a starting safety job throughout the offseason.