AP identifies three connected to Navy sexual assault case

11 Comments

In a statement last Monday, the U.S. Naval Academy announced that three current and former Navy football players would be charged with rape stemming from an incident that occurred in April of 2012. Since the case is still headed toward an Article 32 hearing, which determine if there is evidence to proceed to a court-martial, the names of the three suspects have not been officially released.

However, the Associated Press says it has identified the three suspects in the case: defensive backs Tra’ves Bush and Eric Graham. and linebacker Josh Tate. Bush’s grandfather told the AP his grandson had a previous relationship with the woman making the claims, but that the midshipman didn’t know about the alleged assault.

The younger Bush declined comment to the AP. “I’m not speaking on anything regarding that situation,” he said.

Tate and Graham’s names first appeared in connection to the case via The (Annapolis, Md.) Capital. The two could not be reached for comment for the AP story.

The three midshipmen connected to the case are accused of violating two articles of the Uniform Code of Military Justice: one charge of rape, sexual assault or other sexual misconduct, and another for making a false official statement.

As a senior, Bush was the team’s second-leading tackler in 2012 with 88 tackles. His graduation has reportedly been put on hold as the case unfolds. Tate is the only player still on the team, though he is currently suspended.

All three players were permitted to play football for the Midshipmen as the investigation into the alleged rape continued, and according to the Washington Post, the female midshipman was required to attend football games last fall. The investigation was initially closed in November only to be reopened later after the alleged victim’s attorney spoke to NCIS.

Royal Wedding barely beats CFP title game in TV ratings

Getty Images
Leave a comment

In case you didn’t already know, allow me to be the first to tell you there was a Royal Wedding over the weekend. The audience interested in watching Prince Harry wed Meghan Markel had next to nothing in common with those interested in watching Alabama and Georgia play football, but it turns out the two groups are nearly the exact same size.

According to a tweet by Front Office Sports, the Royal Wedding stands as the eighth most popular viewing spectacle of 2018 to date at 29.2 million viewers, just edging out the College Football Playoff Championship’s 28.4 million viewers.

Another similar dynamic played out when This Is Us‘s finale (on NBC!) nudged out Georgia’ Rose Bowl comeback over Oklahoma — 27 million to 26.9 million — for the No. 12 spot to date.

The good news here is that there shouldn’t be another Royal Wedding for, oh, another 25 years or so, so the 2019 CFP title game should have less competition for the No. 8 spot moving forward.

Former WKU offensive lineman will finish career with “Brohmsquad”

Photo by Rich Schultz/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Western Kentucky offensive lineman Dennis Edwards says he is going to finish his college football career with the same coach he started it with. In a message posted on Twitter, Edwards announced he will reunite with head coach Jeff Brohm, now at Purdue.

As a graduate transfer, Edwards will be eligible to play immediately this fall, which will be a nice boost to the depth at the offensive line position for Purdue. Unless he changes position, however, Edwards will likely be a backup center to provide depth. Kirk Barron returns to anchor the center of the line, one that loses just one starter from a year ago. But for a program that is still in the early stages of a rebuilding plan under Brohm, padded the depth on the offensive line can be instrumental in the sustained success for the program.

LSU officially welcomes Joe Burrow from Ohio State

Photo by Hunter Martin/Getty Images
3 Comments

Last week, quarterback Joe Burrow announced his commitment to LSU as he prepares to move on from Ohio State. Today, LSU made it officially official.

LSU has announced it has officially signed graduate transfer Burrow for the 2018 season, making the quarterback transfer eligible to play immediately this fall. Burrow will also have two years of eligibility with the Tigers, which could be a potential boost to the entire LSU offense in 2018 and potentially in 2019.

Burrow was a four-star recruit in Ohio State’s Class of 2015, but he could not get ahead of J.T. Barrett on the depth chart. He did, however, serve as Barrett’s backup in 2016 and would have carried the same responsibility in 2017 if not for a broken bone in his right hand.

At LSU, Burrow will jump head first into a quarterback competition with Myles Brennan, Justin McMillan and Lowell Narcisse. However, it is expected Burrow will soar to the top of the depth chart fairly quickly, and in time for LSU’s season opener in Arlington, Texas against Miami on Labor Day weekend. Nothing will be a given though, so Burrow needs to get to work right away and establish himself as the best option for Ed Orgeron and the Tigers.

Jim Harbaugh says Michigan is going on safari in South Africa next spring

Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images
7 Comments

Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh has said he wants to make a spring trip for the football program an annual event. Staying true to his word, Harbaugh announced Michigan will be heading to South Africa next spring.

“We’re going to (South) Africa,” Harbaugh said in a radio interview with WTKA-AM in Ann Arbor, according to The Detroit Free Press. “We’re going to Johannesburg and Cape Town and we’re going to do a safari. How about that? How about a safari?”

This spring, Michigan visited Paris. Last year, the team took a trip to Rome. This all started becoming a thing after opposing football coaches in the south caused an uproar over Michigan packing up the program and heading to Clearwater for some spring football practices.

Each of the past two trips for Michigan have been covered by donations from some big-money donors to the program. Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick and The Graham Group founder Don Graham split the bill for Michigan’s trip to Paris this spring. Kotick also took up the expenses for Michigan’s trip to Rome in 2017. It is unknown how Michigan is covering the pending expense of a trip to South Africa at this time, but if donors with deep pockets keep taking care of the charges, there is no reason not to take advantage of the travel opportunities.

In the meantime, Harbaugh has plenty of time to pick out a good safari hat to go with his finest pairs of khaki pants. Of course, he’ll probably stick to the blue Michigan cap to keep with his style abroad.