Louisiana Tech received a handful of good news on the personnel from the NCAA on Monday, with three players being granted another season of college football from the ever-benevolent NCAA.
Wide receivers Richie Casey and Andrew Guillot, along with offensive lineman Jeremy Graffree, the school stated in a press release, were each given a sixth season of eligibility from The Association. All three appealed to the NCAA based on past medical issues.
“I am excited for these young men to be able to compete on the collegiate level for a full four years,” Tech head coach Skip Holtz said in a statement. “To see the huge smiles on those young men’s faces shows you how hard they have worked to be ready to play this season. All three easily fell into the guidelines for the sixth year that the NCAA has granted them. It is great that they will get to compete for a fourth football season on the collegiate level.”
Casey missed his true freshman and sophomore seasons (2008, 2009) due to knee injuries. When healthy, the receiver has caught 75 passes for 764 yards and four touchdowns.
Guillot missed both of those seasons as well because of his own knee issues. He enters the 2013 season with 45 career receptions for 373 yards and a touchdown, adding 168 yards on 14 punt returns.
Graffree played three seasons at the JUCO level (2008-10), missing one of those seasons due to an injury. After transferring to LaTech, he played in four games in 2011 before missing the entire 2012 season with an Achilles tear.
The school wrote in its press release that it “is still awaiting a ruling on a sixth year for offensive lineman Larry Banks and a waiver for transfers Joseph Brunson (Louisiana-Lafayette) and Paul Turner (LSU) to be eligible to play immediately.”
The latter waivers would provide immediate eligibility for the incoming transfer players.
(Photo credit: Louisiana Tech athletics)
When it comes to Notre Dame’s radio booth on football gamedays, it’ll apparently be out with the old and in with the new.
Earlier this offseason, it was announced that JMI Sports had taken over as Notre Dame’s multimedia partner. As part of that partnership, JMI Sports would have control over, among other entities, the football program’s national radio broadcasts.
Since 2006, there’s been a two-man radio booth consisting of play-by-play voice Don Criqui and color analyst Allen Pinkett. Come the 2018 football season, the latter confirmed, there will be a complete makeover of the Fighting Irish’s radio broadcasts.
“Their plan is they want someone more local — like ‘live in South Bend’ local — because they want to do some packages during the week, and they wanted somebody who was there,” Pinkett told the South Bend Tribune. “So it was a good run. I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to do it since 2001, but this thing comes to an end, so I just wish whoever’s going to do it next the best of luck.”
The “whoever” Pinkett mentioned is still in question as the radio replacements have yet to be announced.
The 54-year-old Pinkett was a star running back at Notre Dame in the eighties, twice earning All-American honors. He was the first Fighting Irish player to ever rush for 1,000-plus yards in three straight seasons.
The 78-year-old Criqui is a Notre Dame graduate as well. Prior to this 2006-17 stint, he was also the play-by-play voice of the Fighting Irish from 1974-76.
One running joke that’s made numerous laps around the college football world this month has officially run its course.
After being taken ninth overall by the Oakland Athletics in the June Major League Baseball draft, Kyler Murray reached an agreement on a contract with the stick-and-ball club that will not only allow him to play football for Oklahoma in 2018, but will pay him a signing bonus of nearly $4.7 million for good measure. As Lincoln Riley was paid $3.1 million in 2017, there was a very real possibility that the Sooners’ starting quarterback would earn more in 2018 than OU’s head football coach.
Tuesday, however, that particular plotline was put to bed as the university’s Board of Regents confirmed a long-expected revised contract for Riley. The coach’s 2018 salary? $4.8 million (plus bonuses).
Take that, Kyler Murray.
The new salary figure would’ve made Riley the third-highest paid head coach in the Big 12 last season, behind only Texas’ Tom Herman ($5.5 million) and TCU’s Gary Patterson ($5.1 million). His actual salary last year was seventh in the conference.
In his first season at the helm for the Sooners, the 34-year-old Riley guided OU to a 12-2 record, a Big 12 championship and a berth in the College Football Playoff. In addition to a raise coming off that wildly successful year, Riley also had his contract extended through the 2023 season.
Not surprisingly at this point in the offseason, it’s once again time to push the “Days Without An Arrest” ticker back to double zeroes.
The latest to trigger a reset is New Mexico’s Rayshawn Boyce, with KOB-TV in Albuquerque reporting that the linebacker was arrested over the weekend on multiple charges stemming from an incident involving an ex-girlfriend last month. Specifically, Boyce has been charged with one count each of aggravated battery, battery of a household member, criminal damage to private property and negligent use of a deadly weapon.
From the television station’s report:
According to a criminal complaint, he attacked a man inside his ex-girlfriend’s home back in May and then hit his ex-girlfriend in the face. Boyce then left the house and fired shots at her vehicle.
Police interviewed Boyce, who admitted to being at the home but says he never went inside. He claims he fought the man outside of his ex-girlfriend’s apartment.
As a result of the incident, Boyce has been indefinitely suspended from the Lobos football by head coach Bob Davie, who’s had his own off-field issues this offseason.
“I want to emphasize that we have standards and expectations of conduct for all UNM student-athletes that include civility and mutual respect,” UNM athletic director Eddie Nunez said in a statement. “We cannot, and will not, accept anything less.”
After transferring in from a California junior college, Boyce played in eight games for the Lobos this past season. He was credited with 1.5 tackles for loss and one sack.
Hokie Nation, it appears you can unofficially breathe a huge sigh of relief.
Rumors were swirling earlier this month that Josh Jackson‘s eligibility at Virginia Tech for the 2018 season was up in the air over unspecified academic issues. While there is nothing yet official from the school, multiple media outlets in the area are now reporting that whatever issues there were have been resolved and the starting quarterback remains a part of the team.
Bitter went on to write in an online story on the situation that “[t]here’s no indication he’ll face any type of suspension, meaning he most likely will be the starter for the Hokies’ opener at Florida State on Labor Day night.”
Suffice to say, this is a sizable development for the Hokies’ football fortunes in 2018.
As a redshirt freshman last season, Jackson started all 13 games for the 9-4 Hokies. He passed for 2,991 yards and ran for another 324 yards while accounting for 26 touchdowns — 20 passing, six rushing. The yards were the most for an FBS freshman in 2017, while the touchdowns passes were the second-most at this level.
If Jackson had been ruled ineligible for the upcoming season, head coach Justin Fuente would’ve then turned to either redshirt freshman Hendon Hooker or redshirt junior Ryan Willis. The former hasn’t attempted a pass at the collegiate level, although the latter, a transfer from Kansas, passed for 2,530 yards on 432 pass attempts while with the Jayhawks. Willis sat out the 2017 season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules.