Expected to name a starter at some point this week, Bob Stoops could add a surprising twist to Oklahoma’s quarterback situation upon revealing his decision. Reportedly.
During a news broadcast Monday night, KFOR-TV‘s Bob Barry Jr. reported that Trevor Knight (pictured, No. 9) has won OU’s quarterback competition and will be under center when OU takes the field against Louisiana-Monroe a week from Saturday. It’s long been expected that Blake Bell (pictured, No. 10), OU’s No. 2 quarterback the past two seasons, would take over for Landry Jones.
Barry’s sources, however, insist that Knight “has won the quarterback battle” and “will get the call in the opener.” Here’s the transcript of Barry’s report, courtesy of The Daily Oklahoman:
Multiple sources have told me in the last two days, San Antonio, Texas, redshirt freshman Trevor Knight has won the quarterback battle at OU in a spirited competition against junior Blake Bell. Trevor is a 6-1, 202-pounder, who, according to those who act like they know, has been the most consistent player during the spring and summer, the smartest guy and more athletic than we know. And that’s why he’ll get the call when the Sooners line up against Louisiana-Monroe a week from Saturday. Of course nothing is official until head coach Bob Stoops says it is.
The paper, however, disputed the notion that the competition has ended and that the redshirt freshman won the starting job. “[T]wo sources with knowledge of the position battle told me early Tuesday morning that nothing had been decided,” Jason Kersey of the Oklahoman wrote.
The only irrefutable information in Barry’s report is that nothing is official until Stoops says it is. Despite what’s being reported, it would still serve as more than a mild surprise if anyone other than Bell lines up under center for the Sooners in the opener.