Updated: Service academy football teams will play Saturday

8 Comments

Despite the government shutdown, it appears as though the service academy football teams will be able to follow through with Saturday’s scheduled games as originally planned. According to a report, a senior defense official says Army, Air Force and Navy will all be able to play football on Saturday. Navy has since confirmed their game against Air Force will be played as scheduled.

According to a report by the Associated Press, the decisions to allow games to be played this weekend is just for this weekend. Future games will be evaluated over the next few days while everyone waits to see how long the government will be in shutdown mode. The hope, of course, is that the shutdown does not last too long and everything as far as football operations can resume to a normal routine without fear of having to cancel any games.

Air Force is scheduled to play at Navy on Saturday. Army is scheduled to play at Boston College. While the government is shut down to ease financial  concerns, none of the service academies were in danger of canceling football this weekend for financial reasons, according to previous reports. The decisions to postpone any football games would have been more of a political move of solidarity for fear of offending any being frozen out of a paycheck. United Airlines offered to provide free transportation to Air Force’s football team and Boston College had explored to chip in for Army’s travel expenses.

Because the games for the service academies are funded through non-appropriated funds, Army and Air Force traveling is not a concern related to the shutdown. It also helped that the expenses for the traveling for the service academies had been planned in advance and is not a new cost in the budget. Here’s hoping that no matter how long the shutdown may last, that at least football will continue to be played as planned.

Now, if this shutdown reaches a worst-case scenario and for whatever reason extends through the end of the year, then bowl games perhaps become a victim for any bowl-eligible service academy. And I have not even gotten to the topic of the number of bowl eligible teams to available bowl spots. This seems extremely unlikely so I  suggest we cross that bridge when we get there, or is that a bridge to nowhere?

UPDATE (9:53 p.m. ET): Navy has made the news for their home game against Air Force official, via Twitter.

Labeling demotion ‘kind of a slap in the face,’ Kelly Bryant confirms that he will transfer from Clemson

AllState Sugar Bowl - Clemson v Alabama
Getty Images
Leave a comment

And there you have it.

A couple of days after learning he had lost his job to a true freshman, and after missing two straight days of practice that led to intensified speculation about his future, Kelly Bryant has confirmed to the Greenville News that he has decided to transfer from Clemson.  Because the senior has played in only four games this season, he will be able to take advantage of the new NCAA transfer rule and play at another FBS program next year as a graduate transfer.

“I feel like it’s what’s best for me and my future,” Bryant said in an exclusive interview with The News. “I was just going to control what I could control and try to make the most of my opportunity, but at the end of the day, I just don’t feel like I’ve gotten a fair shot.”

Bryant was informed by his position coach Sunday of the Tigers’ decision to go with Trevor Lawrence as the starting quarterback, then had a lengthy conversation with head coach Dabo Swinney Monday in which they discussed, among other things, the possibility of a transfer.  The move to Lawrence came after Bryant had started the last 18 games under center for Clemson, with the Tigers winning 16 of those.

“To me, it was kind of a slap in the face,” Bryant said about his demotion.

Bryant’s decision to transfer leaves the Tigers with just two recruited scholarship quarterbacks, 247Sports.com noted.  Redshirt freshman Chase Brice will serve as Lawrence’s backup for the balance of the season.

Randy Edsall abruptly pulls plug on news conference after being asked leading DC question

Getty Images
1 Comment

Randy Edsall wanted no part in heading down the road one media member at least attempted to get him to travel.

Following a subpar start to the 2018 season on that side of the ball, Wake Forest earlier this week announced that they had decided to part ways with defensive coordinator Jay Sawvel. On a related note — you’ll see in a minute — UConn is currently dead last among the 130 FBS programs in total defense (a staggering 664 yards per game; next closest is Ohio at 540.3) and scoring defense (54.4 points per game; next closest is Bowling Green at 44).

At his weekly press conference Tuesday, Edsall was asked about the Wake situation and his philosophy on such an in-season move. Suffice to say, the head coach wasn’t particularly fond of the media member’s line of questioning.

From the Hartford Courant:

Reporter: “Wake Forest just fired their defensive coordinator. I’m just curious about your philosophy on that.”

Edsall: “What does that have to do with us? I’m done. I can see where this is going. I’m not — I’m done.

Edsall’s defensive coordinator is Billy Crocker, who is in his second year with the football program. In Crocker’s first season, the Huskies were 122nd in scoring defense (37.9 ppg), 127th in total defense (519 ypg) and 130th (dead last) in pass defense (339 ypg).

Prior to his time at UConn, Crocker was on the coaching staff at Villanova for 12 seasons, the last five of which he spent coordinating the FCS team’s defense. In his last season with the Wildcats, they had the nation’s No. 1 scoring defense at that level.

Ankle injury leaves RB LJ Scott ‘day-to-day’ for Michigan State against Central Michigan

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Michigan State could again be without one of the top returning running backs in the Big Ten.

In the third quarter of the Week 2 loss to Arizona State, LJ Scott went down with an ankle injury and did not return to the game. The injury also sidelined him for the conference opener, a 14-point win over Illinois, in Week 4.

With its non-conference finale against Central Michigan set for this Saturday, it appears the senior back will be essentially a game-time decision. At least, I think that’s what his head coach was getting at.

“Probably a little of both,” Mark Dantonio said when asked if Scott was day-to-day or will play against CMU. “I expect him to play. Maybe day-to-day.

“He may be out there today or he may not be. Probably the best answer I can give you.”

Despite missing nearly a game and a half, Scott’s 103 rushing yards are still tops on the Spartans. Scott has led Michigan State in rushing each of the past three seasons — 898 yards in 2017, 994 in 2016 and 699 in 2015.

Following MSU’s Holiday Bowl win last December, Scott confirmed that he would be eschewing early entry into the 2018 NFL draft and would be returning to East Lansing for a fourth season.

Nevada’s EJ Muhammad announces season-ending surgery on Instagram

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Once again, a player has utilized social media to make a rather significant announcement.

On his Instagram account earlier this week, Nevada defensive back EJ Muhammad announced that he will miss the remainder of the 2018 season after undergoing surgery. Just what the medical procedure he underwent is unclear at the moment.

The football program, for what it’s worth, has not addressed Muhammad’s status moving forward.

Muhammad appeared in nine games as a redshirt sophomore last season, starting three of those contests. He had started the first two games of the 2018 season as well before missing the last two because of the injury that ultimately will sideline him for the remainder of the year.