Dabo would ‘be surprised’ if Sammy Watkins returned

13 Comments

Entering 2013, most observers outside the Clemson football program assumed this would be Sammy Watkins‘ final season with the Tigers.

Tuesday, one of the most in-the-know individuals inside the program concurred with that assumption.

As it does every year around this time with the clock wing down on another season, the questioning of head coach Dabo Swinney turned to Watkins and the wide receiver’s future in Orange & White.  Instead of hemming and hawing around the issue, Swinney was blunt in his assessment of where he thinks Watkins will wind up playing football in 2014.

“He’s a Top 10 pick to me,” Swinney said of the April 2014 NFL draft. “I’d be surprised if he came back, but who knows?  I didn’t think C.J. Spiller was coming back.”

Spiller surprised most everyone, including those close to him, by returning to Clemson for his senior season and eschewing what would’ve been a first-round spot in the 2009 NFL draft; he was the No. 9 pick in the 2010 draft.

It’s highly doubtful, though, lightning will strike twice for Swinney.

Watkins, eligible for the 2014 draft as he’ll be three years removed from high school, is widely viewed as one of the top receivers who could possibly be available next April.  Most mock drafts have Watkins slotted comfortably inside the Top 15, with stock that’s expected to do nothing but rise once combine season rolls around.

For his part, Watkins, who is closing in on yet another handful of school receiving records, is not giving much public lip service to next year quite yet.  He does, though, sound like a player who knows he’s in the midst of a season-long audition.

“As a coach and as a player, we don’t know where I would go in the draft. It’s kind of a tricky system,” Watkins said. “All I can do is keep playing hard and give the scouts what they’re looking for, and everything will work out in the end.”

Watkins, as will be the case with multiple other draft-eligible players in a similar situation, will likely submit his paperwork to the NFL draft advisory council at some point in the near future.  Those players, including Watkins, will have until mid-January to formally declare their intention to leave eligibility on the table and enter the draft or return for another season at the collegiate level.

Former four-star Miami signee transferring from Rutgers to FIU

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Kiy Hester‘s winding college football journey is set to take him to yet another destination.

On his personal Twitter account over the weekend, Hester announced that he will be transferring to Florida International and spending his final season of collegiate eligibility playing for Butch Davis‘ squad. The defensive back will be leaving Rutgers as a graduate transfer.

Hester had also considered Pitt before opting for the Conference USA school.

Hester, once committed to RU as a high school prospect, was originally a four-star member of Miami’s 2014 recruiting class. In September of that year, he received a release from his UM scholarship and transferred to Rutgers that same month.

The past three seasons, Hester started 19 of the 29 games in which he played. Eight of those starts and 11 of the appearances came during a 2017 regular season that saw him earn honorable mention All-Big Ten honors after finishing fourth in the conference with 1.2 passes defensed per game.

In December of last year, Hester opted to transfer from the Scarlet Knights.

Vanderbilt transfer originally committed to Tulane reverses course, heads to UCF instead

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Welp, so much for that.

In mid-December, Bailey Granier (pictured, No. 75) announced on Twitter that he would be transferring from Vanderbilt to Tulane after graduating. However, on the same social media site this month, Granier revealed that, instead of Tulane, he would instead be transferring to UCF to finish out his collegiate playing career.

The offensive lineman, who attended the Green Wave’s spring game this year, gave no specific reason for the about-face.

Granier played in 27 games during his time with the Commodores, starting five of those contest during that time. All of those starts came at right tackle — two this past season, three in 2015.

Bowling Green loses part-time starting corner to transfer

Getty Images
Leave a comment

As you’re likely well aware already, it’s not just Power Five programs who see a roster reshuffling this time of the year.

The latest Group of Five school to experience that personnel phenomenon is Bowling Green, with Cam Jefferies announcing on his personal Twitter account that, “[a]fter a countless amount of prayer and conversation with those closest to me,” he will be transferring from that Falcons. The cornerback gave no specific reason for the decision to move on from the MAC school.

According to his tweet, Jefferies is set to graduate from the university in August. He will have two years of eligibility remaining.

A two-star recruit coming out of high school in Ohio, Jefferies took a redshirt as a true freshman in 2015. The past two seasons, the defensive back started 12 of the 21 games in which he played. Seven of those starts came this past season.

Dabo Swinney, Hunter Johnson address QB’s transfer

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Clemson has officially bid adieu to a highly-touted member of its 2017 recruiting class.

Earlier in the day Monday, reports surfaced that Hunter Johnson had decided to transfer from the Tigers, with a couple of Big Ten schools already listed as potential landing spots. Not long after that news made the rounds, Dabo Swinney acknowledged the reports, calling the quarterback “one of the best young men I’ve ever coached” in sending his former player his well-wishes.

“While it is always disappointing to lose a great person and a great player, I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to work with Hunter and watch him grow and develop over the last year and a half,” the full statement attributed to the head coach began. “Hunter is one of the best young men I have ever coached and has a very bright future ahead of him.

“I wish him all the best as he decides on his destination.”

Johnson himself issued his own statement through the school’s sports information department addressing the development.

“I want to thank Coach Swinney and the Clemson family for giving me the opportunity to be a part of something special,” said Johnson. “I’ve met some amazing people who I will forever call family. I am a better man and a better football player because of my time spent at Clemson. Go Tigers!”

The composite board on 247Sports.com had Johnson rated as the No. 2 pro-style quarterback in the country and the No. 30 player at any position for the Class of 2017. As a true freshman, Johnson completed 21 of his 27 passes for 234 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in seven appearances.

It’s believed that Johnson, who will have to sit out the 2018 season but would then have three years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2019, is eyeing Northwestern or Purdue as potential transfer destinations.