TCU’s second-leading receiver taking leave of absence

Leave a comment

Shortly before TCU’s game with West Virginia yesterday, it was reported that Brandon Carter would not play due to what was only described as a “family situation.”

The way Gary Patterson talked after the overtime loss to the Mountaineers, the absence could bleed into next weekend and possibly beyond.

The head coach confirmed to the media in his postgame talk Saturday that Carter has been granted what the Fort Worth Star-Telegram labeled as a leave of absence.  Of course, Patterson did not get into any particulars or specifics of the situation involving Carter, other than it appears to be family-related.

“It was a personal thing,” the coach said. “It has nothing to do with me. It had to do with him personally, off the field, and what he needed to do with his family.”

As for an ETA on a return, Patterson simply stated “I haven’t talked to him” when asked if Carter would be back for the final quarter of the season.

Carter entered Week 10 second on the team in receptions with 17 and tied for third in receiving yards with 197.  Coming into this season, he was the Horned Frogs’ leading returning receiver as his 36-590-6 statline from 2012 was second only to the departed Josh Boyce.

In mid-August, Carter underwent hand surgery, although it did not cost him any actual game time.

Waiting to cancel game with FCS opponent cost USC an extra $500,000

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Keeping Clay Helton around wasn’t the only decision last year that upset USC fans. Now the school backtracking on a choice it just made has cost the program a pretty penny.

For those not in the know, cardinal and gold supporters up in arms last year when it was announced the program had agreed to a non-conference game with UC Davis for the 2021 season. Such a contest typically doesn’t draw much attention but it did in Los Angeles as it was the first FCS opponent the Trojans were to play in their illustrious history.

That would have left rivals UCLA and Notre Dame as the only two FBS programs not to play an FCS team.

Then things changed. The athletic director responsible for the deal, Lynn Swann, was shown the door. His replacement Mike Bohn has gone about trying to make amends and recently announced that USC had eventually backed out of the game against the Aggies.

In their place on the docket at the Coliseum that season is another Bay Area team, San Jose State. We already recounted how the Spartans made out quite nicely on the balance sheet as a result of this (and subsequent buyout from Georgia) swap. As it turns out though, they weren’t the only Northern California team to do so.

According to the Davis Enterprise, the buyout UCD was owed was only supposed to be $225,000. However terms called for that to jump to $725,000 after the start of the new year. Because the Trojans waited around they then had to pony up that extra half million for doing something they had been considering since the new administration came in.

“It’s pretty funny. We had every intention of playing that game,” Aggies senior associate athletics director Josh Flushman told the paper. “We just wanted to make sure (if there were) buyouts we were going to get the money.

“In December, (AD Kevin Blue) and I joking said, ‘Don’t take any phone calls from L.A. numbers until after the first.’”

The call didn’t come until February and the school is that much richer for it. On top of that they added a $400,000 guarantee game from Tulsa to replace Southern Cal on the schedule to boot.

Waiting may be the hardest part for some but it resulted in a nice seven-figure gain at UC Davis.

MAC releases 2020 football schedule

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Fire up those calendars, the MAC has officially unleashed the 2020 football schedule. Indeed, #MACtion is here for all to see.

The conference announced dates and times for the upcoming campaign involving their football teams on Wednesday afternoon. You can find the entire slate here.

Among the many highlights for the league is that this upcoming season will serve as a celebration of the 75th anniversary of the founding of the MAC. While some specific festivities will be made public later on, it will nevertheless be a year-long nod to history for those in the Midwest.

Just as important to fans of teams in the conference? The football games themselves, which will be broadcasted across a variety of networks. This includes ESPN2, ESPNU and CBS Sports Network on the broadcast side. ESPN3/ESPN+ will handle things on the streaming side.

It wouldn’t be the MAC without mid-week games late this fall either. This year there will be 14 on tap in the month of November alone. Several more also dot the landscape to kick off 2020 in September as well.

In the non-conference portion, the MAC will again have a gauntlet to fight through. Teams will face a Big Ten opponent 11 times and travel to the SEC four times. In addition, the MAC will play four ACC programs, Notre Dame, BYU and plenty of other Group of Five teams.

Defending 2019 champion Miami (OH) open their season at Pitt and begins conference play at Akron on Sept. 26. Also keep an eye for the Redhawks’ home game against rival Ohio as key to the East Division race. The West side of the bracket could come down to a key Western Michigan-Central Michigan tilt on Oct. 17.

Either way, all roads lead to Detroit as the MAC title game returns to Ford Field again. While a time hasn’t been announced, it will be held on either Friday, Dec. 4 or Saturday, Dec. 5.

Will Muschamp sees college football headed toward XFL-style kickoff

Getty Images
Leave a comment

College football could meet the XFL between the lines.

No, not one league against the sport filled with amateur athletes but rather one adopting the other’s rules. Well, at least according to one coach.

Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, South Carolina coach Will Muschamp said that he can see CFB adopting what the XFL is doing with kickoffs as a way of making things safer for players.

“I think the (XFL)  kickoff may be where we’re headed. I think it’s an interesting new approach,” Muschamp said, according to The Athletic. “It keeps the kickoff in the game and eliminates some of the collisions we are worried about.” 

For those not familiar with what the startup spring football league does, the kicker is situated at the 30 yard line. His coverage unit is on the opposing 35 yard line while the return team is mostly lined up at their 30 yard line (yes five yards across from each other). Players can’t move until the ball is received by the return man who is back deep. 

The current CFB rule has the kicker at the 35 yard line and a standard return setup of players running full speed down the field. Recent tweaks implemented by the NCAA have resulted in fair catches for touchbacks and the elimination of the wedge among other things designed to make things safer and reduce the risk of concussions for players.

The XFL just takes things a few steps further than that. As you can see in the clip above, that doesn’t rule out returns for touchdowns either.

It does however rule out surprise onside kicks. That is certainly a big adjustment for some but given how few of them actually succeed at any level (and combined with the #collegekickers aspect), perhaps not as impactful as it’s made out to be.

Could college eventually alter their rules to match the XFL?

Only time will tell but everybody from the NCAA to the conferences themselves have been pushing player safety quite hard in recent years so it wouldn’t surprise anybody if tweaks eventually get made to one of the more dangerous plays in the game.

Air Force quietly gave Troy Calhoun new six year contract

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Air Force head coach Troy Calhoun re-upped with his current school before flirting with another right down the road. 

That’s one takeaway from the latest Colorado Springs Gazette report on the Falcons’ current coach. The paper confirmed the school had signed Calhoun to a new six year contract… just days before he proceeded to interview for the sudden opening at Colorado. 

The Buffs were in the market after Mel Tucker left for Michigan State on Feb. 12. The position was eventually filled by Karl Dorrell just over a week later.  

Still, the program confirmed that Calhoun did in fact interview for the gig in Boulder — something he rather bizarrely denied to reporters after a spring practice.

“We have not made adjustments to the contract that we signed on Feb. 3,” Air Force AD Nathan Pine added. “We made increased commitments on both sides early on and wanted to get out ahead of this.”

Though it’s a military academy, Falcons athletics were shifted behind a private foundation in recent years so details of the new football contract were not made public. Pine added that an increased buyout is part of it and that the assistant salary pool has been bumped up as well.

Calhoun has been in charge at his alma mater since 2007 and capped off an 11-2 campaign last season with a Cheez-It Bowl victory over Washington State.