Charlie Ward: Jameis Winston ‘at peace with’ investigation

46 Comments

Because of the ongoing investigation, Jameis Winston has yet to publicly address the complaint of an alleged sexual assault filed against him last December.

He has, though, addressed it privately with one former Florida State great.

Charlie Ward texts Winston on a regular basis.  In the second half of the Seminoles’ blowout of Syracuse Saturday, the ex-FSU quarterback great was seen joking with the burgeoning current FSU quarterback great on the sidelines.  Ward told the Orlando Sentinel that, yes, he has spoken to Winston about the scandal since it surfaced the middle of last week.

Like most, Winston was taken aback that such an issued became public nearly a year after it was first investigated by the Tallahassee Police Department.  Winston has come to terms with the controversy, Ward said.

“It came out of the blue,” Ward said. “The timing is very odd but for him, he said he’s at peace with it, so I’m at peace with it.”

Last Wednesday, multiple media outlets reported that a complaint alleging sexual assault was filed with the TPD in the early morning hours of Dec. 7.  The alleged victim claimed that she was sexually assaulted through the use of “physical force.”  The complaint was received against Winston, the Tallahassee Democrat reported.

Winston’s attorney said he was told in February that the case was closed, but the complaint was forwarded to state’s attorney Willie Meggs of the 2nd Judicial Circuit the same day the information surfaced publicly.  Meggs has assigned two investigators to the case, vowing to “get to the bottom of it and do the right thing.”  The hope is that a decision on whether charges will or won’t be filed against Winston can be made in the next week or two.

Meggs told The Associated Press Saturday that an interview with the alleged victim, who has moved out of state since the complaint was filed, is in the process of being arranged.  Thus far, and as is his right, Winston has declined to speak to investigators.

While the focus has understandably been on Winston, Meggs reminded people that there is an unidentified (alleged) victim involved as well.

“There is a victim out there right now whose world has tumbled down around her,’” Meggs told The AP. “We have a female victim here, too, and my job is to make sure that this victim or any victim of a crime has their rights protected. … Everything is now focused on Winston and what’s going to happen to him.”

We will once again note that, if Winston were to be charged with what would be a felony, he would be immediately suspended from the football team per university policy.  That suspension would last until the case was resolved.

NCAA grants sixth season to Kent State’s leading tackler

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The early signing period is still a day away, but Kent State’s defense for next season has already been bolstered.

On his social media accounts recently, Matt Bahr announced that he has been granted another year of eligibility by the NCAA.  The linebacker will be able to use that sixth season in 2019, which will serve as his final year of eligibility.

Bahr didn’t play at all as a true freshman in 2014, then was sidelined for all but two games of the 2017 season because of injury.

Bahr’s 91 tackles this season were tied for the team lead, while his 5½ tackles for loss were tied for third and his three sacks tied for second.  He was also tied for third on the Golden Flashes in pass breakups with six and led with a pair of forced fumbles.

This year, Bahr was named as a semifinalist for both the Wuerffel Trophy and Campbell Trophy, the latter colloquially referred to as the “Academic Heisman.”

Starting Nevada safety transfers to BYU

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Nevada’s secondary loss will turn into BYU’s gain.

In early December, it was reported that Nephi Sewell will be transferring from Nevada.  Less than two weeks later, Sewell took to Twitter over the weekend to announce that he has decided to continue his collegiate playing career at BYU.

The move serves as a homecoming for Sewell as the defensive back played his high school football in the state of Utah.

As a sophomore this season, Sewell started all 10 games in which he played after starting eight games in 2017. His 53 tackles in 2018 were good for sixth on the team.

Sewell’s older brother, Gabe Sewell, is a junior linebacker for Nevada and currently leads the Wolf Pack in tackles with 85.  His younger brother, Penei Sewell, is a freshman offensive lineman at Oregon.

Kentucky’s Josh Allen adds fourth national trophy honor

Getty Images
Leave a comment

When it’s all said and done, Josh Allen is going to need a bigger trophy cabinet — or at least significantly expand his current one.

Monday, it was announced that the Kentucky senior was named as the 2018 recipient of the Jack Lambert Award. That trophy is handed out annually by the Touchdown Club of Columbus (OH) and given to the national linebacker of the year.

Previously this awards season, Allen had been named as the winner of the Bronko Nagurski Award (HERE) and Chuck Bednarik Award (HERE) as well as the recipient of the Ronnie Lott IMPACT Trophy (HERE). He also earned unanimous first-team All-American honors.

Allen’s 14 sacks this season set the football program’s single-season record, while his 28.5 career sacks are the most ever for a member of the Wildcats.

Utah OC Troy Taylor named head coach at FCS Sacramento State

Getty Images
Leave a comment

For the second time since the 2018 regular season came to an end, Kyle Whittingham has seen one of his assistant coaches leave for a head-coaching job.

Exactly a week ago, Utah State announced that Utah associate head coach Gary Andersen was returning to again lead the Aggies.  Monday, Sacramento State announced that Troy Taylor has been hired as the FCS program’s next head football coach.

Taylor, who spent two seasons as Whittingham’s offensive coordinator, was the starting quarterback at Cal in the late eighties after playing his high school football in the state of California.  He also began his coaching career at the high school level near Sacramento.

“I am thrilled to be the new head football coach at Sacramento State,” Taylor said in a statement. “My family and I are excited to move back home and take on the challenge of building the Hornet Football program into something the city can be very proud. I want to thank President Nelsen, Mark Orr and the rest of the search committee for giving me this opportunity.”

With bowl season left, Utah is sixth in the Pac-12 and 67th nationally in scoring 28.7 points per game.  In Taylor’s first season in charge of the offense, they averaged 29.5 ppg.

Whittingham has already replaced Andersen with former Ute football player Sione Po’uha.