UCF dominant in national showcase vs. Rutgers

On Thursday night No. 18 Central Florida (9-1, 6-0 AAC) put on a bit of a show for potential bowls looking at the Golden Knights as an option, including potential BCS bowl landing spots. A 41-17 victory over Rutgers (5-5, 2-4 AAC) was every bit as easy as the score would seem to indicate, and Central Florida is now one win away from potentially clinching the automatic BCS berth out of The American.

Central Florida more than doubled the offensive production of Rutgers (455-221). Blake Bortles completed 21 of 30 passes for 335 yards and a touchdown. He also rushed for 32 yards and another touchdown while running back Storm Johnson rushed for a team-high 75 yards and two touchdowns. J.J. Worton had 117 receiving yards as well after saving the day, and the season, last weekend in Philadelphia against Temple.

Central Florida can get closer to wrapping up the American’s automatic BCS berth next week with a Friday home game against South Florida. Already with wins over Louisville and Houston, Central Florida owns the tie breakers in the American. With two games to play and a one-game lead in the loss column on preseason favorite Louisville, one win gives Central Florida the first ever American football championship. There are some scenarios that can come in to play that could award the BCS berth to another team, but that does not appear to be likely if Central Florida plays like this again next week.

The blowout win could also throw a wrinkle in to the BCS situation though. Fresno State and Northern Illinois must finish ahead of one automatic BCS conference champion in order to qualify for an automatic BCS berth out of the Mountain West (Fresno State) or MAC (Northern Illinois). But if Central Florida should happen to pass either school in the BCS standings, the chances of clinching an automatic BCS spot become a bit more difficult, needing to finish higher in the BCS standings.

Central Florida, with one loss against South Carolina, is probably not likely to pass either the Bulldogs or Huskies, but if Central Florida is more dominant in their final games than either BCS busting hopeful, it could be something to keep an eye on.

Leading rusher at FCS level declares for 2020 NFL Draft

2020 NFL Draft
Monmouth athletics