Missouri outlasts Oklahoma State in the craziest fourth quarter of the bowl season

It started innocently enough with Oklahoma State kicking a 25-yard field goal early in the fourth quarter to tie Missouri at 17-17 in the Cotton Bowl. Little did anyone who had watched the previous three quarters that the fireworks were about to be lit. Missouri and Oklahoma State combined for 41 points as Missouri came out on top with a 41-31 victory. Missouri’s Henry Josey rushed for two of his three touchdowns in the fourth quarter to help lead the Tigers to the win.

Missouri used both of their quarterbacks in the game. James Franklin started the game but struggled to find a rhythm against Oklahoma State’s persistent and determined defense. Franklin completed just four of his first 16 pass attempts before being replaced by Maty Mauk. Mauk provided a spark but the impact was short-lived in the first half. Franklin returned to the game and completed 11 of his 24 pass attempts since being replaced by Mauk, for 141 yards.

The first three quarters were more about defenses than anything else. Oklahoma State was kept off the scoreboard in the second quarter and went nearly 30 minutes between scores in a game that was supposed to be a shootout from the start. Perhaps the old Big 12 familiarity between the two programs crept in as a factor but the offenses took over in the fourth quarter to provide more of the type of game that was expected.The teams traded scores with Oklahoma State finally grabbing a lead with just over five minutes to play with a Desmond Roland touchdown run. Josey broke a 16-yard touchdown run two minutes later, and the defense of Missouri had the final laugh. Michael Sam rushed from the right side of the pocket and hit Oklahoma State quarterback Clint Chelf to knock the football loose. Misso Shane Ray picked it up and ran down the right sideline for 73 yards and a double-digit lead just as the Cowboys were putting the pressure on. Chelf passed for 377 yards and two touchdowns, but he also was picked off twice and had the costly fumble.

Missouri may not ave won the SEC Championship Game, but the experiences from this season can help continue to grow the program to a perennial contender in the SEC East. The Tigers were aided by down years by Georgia and Florida, and they did lose at home to South Carolina and run out of steam against Auburn. The signs of progress were shown this season in Columbia, Missouri. Missouri fits in just fine in the SEC, and Friday night’s Cotton Bowl victory is the latest evidence to support that argument.

Missouri will look to continue to prove they are a contender in the SEC East and SEC next season. The Tigers will have a favorable schedule without crossover games against Alabama and LSU, but they will make trips to Georgia and Florida. Both programs should be ready for a bounce back in 2014. Missouri also plays host to American and Fiesta Bowl champion UCF in mid-September, which should be an entertaining match-up as well.

Oklahoma State will start the 2014 season right in this same building. The Cowboys will face Florida State in the season opener at AT&T Stadium. They could be facing the defending BCS champions being led by the reigning Heisman Trophy winner. Unfortunately for Oklahoma State the Cowboys will be in a bit of a transition with their roster after losing a good number of seniors.

For Chase Brice, USF would make for a familiar landing spot

Chase Brice