Two Alabama players confirmed their plans to leave a year early for the NFL on Thursday. Star safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and left tackle Cyrus Kouandijo will each leave Tuscaloosa with one year of eligibility remaining.
Clinton-Dix and Kouandijo are each expected to go in the early rounds of the draft, potentially in the first round. Head coach Nick Saban was complimentary of the two defensive standouts as they made their decisions official.
”They’ve done a wonderful job representing this institution, their families and this football program,” Saban said in a statements shared by the Associated Press. ”They’ve been a part of at least two national championships. I know it’s difficult for each and every one of these players to make decisions. They all love the University of Alabama and they have to make a difficult business decision about what is best for their future.”
”Everybody has a personal situation with their family,” Kouandjio said. ”We have to put everything – my degree, and all these things like family – it all comes together and you have to make a decision and stick with it.”
On Wednesday Alabama linebacker Adrian Hubbard announced his decision to turn pro as well. Alabama defensive end Jeoffrey Pagan has also decided to turn pro a year early.
From Sanford to Samford, and Bulldogs to Bulldogs, Jaleel Laguins has settled on his new college football home.
In an announcement posted to his personal Twitter account Thursday evening, Laguins confirmed that he has decided to enroll in classes at Samford and continue his playing career with the FCS Bulldogs. The move comes almost exactly one month after the linebacker used the same social media website to announce his transfer from Georgia.
As Samford plays at a level below the FBS, Laguins will avoid having to sit out the 2018 season.
A four-star member of the Bulldogs’ 2016 recruiting class, Laguins was rated as the No. 10 inside linebacker in the country and the No. 21 player at any position in the state of Georgia. He was the top-rated linebacker in UGA’s class that year, and only three signees on the defensive side of the ball — defensive tackles Julian Rochester and Michail Carter, and defensive end Chauncey Manac — were rated higher.
As a true freshman, Laguins played in six games. He took a redshirt for this past season, and would have to sit out the 2018 season if he moved on to another FBS program.
After moving on from Ohio State, Jared Drake has opted to drop a couple of rungs on the college football ladder in continuing his playing career.
On his personal Twitter account Thursday, Drake announced “that the next stop on this long journey will be with the Leathernecks of Western Illinois University!” As Western Illinois plays at the FCS level, the linebacker will be eligible to play immediately in 2018.
Drake came to the Buckeyes as a walk-on in 2015. he played in nine games the past two seasons, almost exclusively on special teams.
According to his official OSU bio, Drake had “added long snapping to his résumé along with his responsibilities as a linebacker.”
The aftereffects of Hurricane Harvey continue to linger, in this case as it pertains to college football scheduling.
Houston and UT-San Antonio in March of 2016 announced a future four-game series, with two of the games set to be played at the latter’s home (2017, 2023) and two in the former’s (2022, 2024). Because of the once-in-500 years flooding event in the Houston area last August, however, the 2017 game was canceled.
In a press release Thursday, UTSA confirmed that the canceled 2017 game will now be played on Aug. 30, 2025, at TDECU Stadium in Houston. The 2023 game, which had been scheduled to be played in San Antonio, will now be played in Houston.
The 2022 and 2024 games had been scheduled for Houston’s home but will now be played in San Antonio’s Alamodome.
The two football teams have met twice previously, in 2013 and 2014. The road teams won each of those matchups, with the Roadrunners spoiling the opening of UH’s new stadium in the 2014 game.
In April, Fotu Leiato was arrested on a couple of charges related to the illegal removal of a parking boot from his vehicle. A month later, we’ve learned Leiato was given the boot from his current football program for good measure.
247Sports.com was the first to report that Leiato has been dismissed by first-year Oregon head coach Mario Cristobal. Further to the point, the linebacker’s dismissal came a day after his April arrest but the news didn’t surface until Thursday.
In the April incident, Leiato was arrested on charges of second-degree criminal mischief, second-degree theft and criminal trespassing. That was actually his second arrest this year as he was charged with misdemeanor trespassing in January.
The combination of the two arrests led Cristobal to pull the trigger on a dismissal.
Coming to Eugene as a three-star safety, Leiato played in 37 of 38 games the past three seasons. The Washington native earned the first start of his collegiate playing career during the 2017 season.
The senior had been in line to earn a starting job exiting spring and heading into the summer phase of the offseason.