Video: 2015 Mich. St. QB commit arrested after body slamming security guard

48 Comments

A prominent commitment to Michigan State’s 2015 recruiting class has found himself in quite a bit of legal hot water… and there’s video evidence that purportedly proves it.

Wednesday afternoon, Detroit Cass Tech quarterback Jayru Campbell was arrested following an incident inside his school that, in part, involved a security guard.  The Detroit News, citing assistant superintendent Steven Wasko, subsequently reported that Campbell has been charged with assault and battery.

“Detroit Public Schools Police Department is investigating and additionally the district’s Student Code of Conduct process will determine the infraction and the appropriate disciplinary action,” Wasko told the News.

Outside of a verbal spat, what led to the encounter between Campbell and the security guard is unclear.  What is clear is that Campbell was caught on video doing the WWE deed, as first posted by our friends at ChatSports.com:

 

Police confirmed to WXYZ-TV that it was Campbell doing the slamming and being led away by another security guard.  One of Campbell’s teammates, however, lays the blame on the security guard for instigating the incident.

“Jayru’s one of the hardest working kids I know. And he’s smart,” Cass Tech football player Jamaal Brown told FOX 2 in Detroit . “I think the whole situation was self-defense. When somebody puts their hands on you, you got a right to defend yourself.”

This, though, is not the first incident involving Campbell and some level of violence.

Last November, Campbell was again (somewhat) caught on video, this time punching a Detroit Catholic Central player in the handshake line following a Cass Tech playoff loss.  The News reports Campbell was suspended for 3-5 days by the school immediately following that incident.  He was also suspended for the 2014 season opener.

In the video below, you don’t see the actual punch that was acknowledged by the player’s own coach, but you do see the aftermath — including, ironically enough, Campbell being put to the ground by another man:

 

Rivals.com has given a four-star rating to Campbell, ranking him as the No. 9 dual-threat quarterback in the country for the Class of 2015.  He also holds offers from Alabama, Notre Dame and Wisconsin, although the recruiting website refers to him as a “solid verbal.”

Campbell gave a non-binding verbal commitment to the Spartans in early August of last year.  There’s speculation that MSU has pulled its offer, although that’s not been confirmed.

(Photo credit: Rivals.com)

Ex-WVU receiver Reggie Roberson announces transfer to SMU

Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Former West Virginia wide receiver Reggie Roberson seems to have found his new place to call home. Roberson announced his commitment to SMU with a doctored image on Twitter on Saturday afternoon.

By rule, Roberson will have to sit out the 2018 college football season since he is transferring to another FBS program. He’ll be eligible to play again for SMU beginning in 2019, but he will do so with three years of eligibility remaining.

Roberson was a three-star prospect in West Virginia’s Class of 2017 and he played in 10 games as a true freshman for the Mountaineers last fall. In those 10 games, Roberson caught six passes for 30 yards. Roberson is a native of Texas, so moving to SMU will bring him a little closer to home than Morgantown, West Virginia can offer.

Syracuse recruiting director leaves to become scout for Buffalo Bills

Photo by Brett Carlsen/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Syracuse recruiting director Asil Mulbah is heading to the NFL. With an announcement on Instagram, Mulbah announced he is joining the scouting department with the NFL’s Buffalo Bills.

“Excited to announce that I have accepted a position in the Buffalo Bills Scouting Department,” Mulbah said in his statement. “I’d like to thank Coach Babers, the SU football staff, and the players for an amazing two seasons filled with memories I will cherish for the rest of my life.”

Mulbah has previous NFL scouting experience with the Jacksonville Jaguars. He has been a part of the Syracuse program since 2016. Prior to his arrival at Syracuse under head coach Dino Babers, Mulbah made stops at Wake Forest and Bowling Green.

Nebraska’s starting center opts to retire from playing football

Photo by Steven Branscombe/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Nebraska has a handful of centers vying for the starting job in the middle of the offensive line this season. However, one of those options will not be Michael Decker. On Saturday morning, via Twitter, Decker announced he is retiring from playing football. Decker was a starting center for the Huskers last season.

“Over the past [six] months, I have taken a step back and looked at my future career goals and decided that I can no longer [accomodate] football’s commitments,” Decker said in his statement. “It is finally time to see that these aspirations outweighed the lacking desire to continue playing the game. Which, given the team’s goals, would only hurt them by my participation.”

Decker started five games for Nebraska at the center position in 2017 as a sophomore. A knee injury in October brought his season to a premature end. That injury also sidelined Decker for Nebraska spring football this season, leaving his future with the program and the game in doubt.

Nebraska is now moving forward with 14 offensive linemen on scholarship. Hunter Miller seemed to get the most opportunities in the spring to work with the first-team offense, but Nebraska also expects to have Cole Conrad back for the fall. Conrad started seven games for Nebraska last fall.

Japanese college football coach resigns over controversial hit

Photo by Matt Roberts/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Masato Uchida, the head coach of Nihon University’s national championship football team in Japan, has resigned as head coach of the program in response to a devastating hit delivered by one of his players on an opposing quarterback in a recent game against rival Kwansei Gakuin.

A Nihon defender well behind a pass play sped toward a quarterback well after an attempted pass. With the quarterback leisurely jogging toward the sideline, the Nihon defender tackled the unsuspecting quarterback from behind at the legs. You can watch the video of the hit, which went viral in Japan, on YouTube. The quarterback was forced to leave the game and it has been reported recovery from ligament damage in his spine could take three weeks. Fortunately, no nerve damage was discovered.

“The responsibility for this series of problems lies directly with me. I will resign as head coach,” Uchida said on Saturday, according to the Associated Press. “I am quitting for the sake of the young players. We must create a new Nichidai. After the incident, I did not warn my players and that is my responsibility. It was my poor judgment.”

Officials from Kwansei Gakuin accused Nihon of intentionally trying to hurt the quarterback, but Uchida initially refuted such allegations. In light of the controversial hit, three games for Nihon have been canceled due to upcoming opponents opting not to play against them. The Kantoh Collegiate Football Association announced additional cancellations as well.