Jameis Winston tops Bovada’s initial 2014 Heisman odds

As expected, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner is the early favorite to become the second player to claim back-to-back stiff-armed trophies.

In its initial set of odds for the 2014 Heisman, Bovada.lv has installed Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston as a 2/1 favorite for this year’s award.  Of course, this past season Winston became the second consecutive redshirt freshman to be named the winner of the most prestigious award in college football.

Winston serves as the only 2013 Heisman finalist to be represented as the other five — Northern Illinois quarterback Jordan Lynch, Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel, Auburn running back Tre Mason, Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron and Boston College running back Andre Williams –were either seniors or left school early.

Around this time last year, Manziel, the 2012 Heisman winner, was the prohibitive favorite at 4-1.  McCarron was the only other 2013 finalist to make Bovada‘s initial release in early February.  Winston was not listed as he had yet to claim the starting job coming off a redshirt year.

Right behind Winston are a trio of quarterbacks: Oregon’s Marcus Mariota (7/2), Ohio State’s Braxton Miller (4/1) and Baylor’s Bryce Petty (6/1).  Alabama’s T.J. Yeldon at 5/1 is the favorite running back, although I’d wait for his running mate Derrick Henry, who’s not included in the initial batch of odds, to be listed if you’re looking to drop some cash on a Tide back.

In somewhat of a surprise, six running backs are listed by Bovada to go along with nine quarterbacks.  Quarterbacks have won 12 of the last 13 Heismans, the lone exception being Alabama’s Mark Ingram in 2009.

Another surprise?  Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson, who did not play in 2013 because he cheated on a final exam earlier in the year, is listed at 25/1.

The Seminoles are the only team with two players listed by Bovada, with Winston joined by running back Karlos Williams (33/1).

Below is the complete set of 2014 Heisman odds, again courtesy of Bovada.lv:

Jameis Winston (QB, Florida State) 2/1
Marcus Mariota (QB, Oregon) 7/2
Braxton Miller (QB, Ohio State) 4/1
T.J. Yeldon (RB, Alabama) 5/1
Bryce Petty (QB, Baylor) 6/1
Brett Hundley (QB, UCLA) 12/1
Mike Davis (RB, South Carolina)  15/1
Melvin Gordon (RB, Wisconsin) 16/1
Everett Golson (QB, Notre Dame) 25/1
Trevor Knight (QB, Oklahoma) 25/1
Duke Johnson (RB, Miami) 33/1
Karlos Williams (RB, Florida State) 33/1
Matt Johnson (QB, Bowling Green) 66/1
Rakeem Cato (QB, Marshall) 66/1

In wake of Odell Beckham kerfuffles, CFP to review sideline, locker room access policies

Odell Beckham may have just ruined it for everybody.  Or, at the very least, curtailed it for most everybody.

Monday night, LSU beat Clemson for its first national championship since 2007.  Odell Beckham, a former star wide receiver with the Tigers, was on the sidelines for the game.  And on the field and postgame locker room as well.

And that’s where the trouble began.

Beckham appeared to hand cash to at least two LSU football players on the field after the game; LSU is looking into the situation.  Beckham appeared to slap the ass of a police officer in the postgame locker room; a warrant has been issued for his arrest.

In the wake of all of that, College Football Playoff executive director Bill Hancock has confirmed that his group will review its sideline access policies for both the semifinals and title games.

“Being on the sidelines is a privilege,” Hancock told USA Today. “Along with any privilege comes responsibility, because the focus should be on the people playing and coaching in the game, rather than on any visitors. The CFP will be reviewing its policy for allowing guests onto the sidelines and into locker rooms at future games.”

Kudos, Odell Beckham.  At least you got the attention you so desperately crave.

Doesn’t matter that you’re taking the spotlight away from the players at your alma mater who just put up a historic season, right?  As it’s always been, it’s all about you. That’s all that matters.

Sleep well, basking in the knowledge that it’s (almost) all about you.  Not the team that won a title that you didn’t.

Leading rusher at FCS level declares for 2020 NFL Draft

2020 NFL Draft
Monmouth athletics