Prosecutor: Mich. St. commit told to remove hood prior to confrontation with security guard

53 Comments

One of the biggest questions when it comes to the highly-publicized confrontation between Michigan State commitment Jayru Campbell and a Detroit Cass Tech High School security guard is why.  Just why did the highly-rated 2015 quarterback prospect, as was shown on multiple videos shot from cell phones and posted to the Internet, body slam the security officer, leading to an arrest and some rather serious charges?

Wayne County (Mich.) Prosecutor Kym Worthy had a simple answer to one version of why: Campbell was asked to remove a hood from his head on multiple occasions, with the situation escalating exponentially from there.  From the Detroit Free Press:

The officer asked Campbell to remove his hood several times while he was inside the school, and when he refused, the officer told him to report to the office, prosecutors said.

Campbell is accused of becoming profane, picking up the officer and slamming him to the ground, according the prosecutor’s office.

At a press conference Tuesday afternoon, Worthy announced that Campbell has been charged with assault with intent to do great bodily harm and aggravated assault.  The former is a felony, the latter a misdemeanor.  The 23-year-old security guard involved in the in-school incident, Worthy said, suffered a “facial injury and an open wound to the head.”

The 17-year-old Campbell will be tried as an adult and arraigned on the charges later today.

The Free Press writes that “[t]he felony charge is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine up to $5,000, and the misdemeanor count is punishable by up to one year behind bars and a fine up to $1,000.”

“The fact that the defendant is a talented high school football player does not change the facts of this case,” the prosecutor said. “It doesn’t matter who you are. What you do. How fast you can run. How far you can throw a football. The law applies to everyone.”

Rivals.com has given a four-star rating to Campbell, ranking him as the No. 9 dual-threat quarterback in the country for the Class of 2015.  He also holds offers from Alabama, Notre Dame and Wisconsin, although the recruiting website refers to him as a “solid verbal” to the Spartans.

Campbell gave a non-binding verbal commitment to the Spartans in early August of last year.

What will happen to that commitment, given the serious legal road Campbell must still traverse, remains to be seen, although the Free Press did note the following:

Incoming MSU students who are convicted of a crime can still gain admission, according to university policy, even in the case of a felony conviction. An admissions review team deals with such situations on a case-by-case basis, MSU spokesman Jason Cody said.

(Photo credit: Rivals.com)

Sanford to Samford: ex-Georgia LB Jaleel Laguins heads to FCS

Getty Images
Leave a comment

From Sanford to Samford, and Bulldogs to Bulldogs, Jaleel Laguins has settled on his new college football home.

In an announcement posted to his personal Twitter account Thursday evening, Laguins confirmed that he has decided to enroll in classes at Samford and continue his playing career with the FCS Bulldogs.  The move comes almost exactly one month after the linebacker used the same social media website to announce his transfer from Georgia.

As Samford plays at a level below the FBS, Laguins will avoid having to sit out the 2018 season.

A four-star member of the Bulldogs’ 2016 recruiting class, Laguins was rated as the No. 10 inside linebacker in the country and the No. 21 player at any position in the state of Georgia. He was the top-rated linebacker in UGA’s class that year, and only three signees on the defensive side of the ball — defensive tackles Julian Rochester and Michail Carter, and defensive end Chauncey Manac — were rated higher.

As a true freshman, Laguins played in six games. He took a redshirt for this past season, and would have to sit out the 2018 season if he moved on to another FBS program.

Ohio State transfer Jared Drake moves on to the FCS

Getty Images
1 Comment

After moving on from Ohio State, Jared Drake has opted to drop a couple of rungs on the college football ladder in continuing his playing career.

On his personal Twitter account Thursday, Drake announced “that the next stop on this long journey will be with the Leathernecks of Western Illinois University!” As Western Illinois plays at the FCS level, the linebacker will be eligible to play immediately in 2018.

Drake came to the Buckeyes as a walk-on in 2015.  he played in nine games the past two seasons, almost exclusively on special teams.

According to his official OSU bio, Drake had “added long snapping to his résumé along with his responsibilities as a linebacker.”

Houston, UTSA announce tweaks to twin home-and-homes

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The aftereffects of Hurricane Harvey continue to linger, in this case as it pertains to college football scheduling.

Houston and UT-San Antonio in March of 2016 announced a future four-game series, with two of the games set to be played at the latter’s home (2017, 2023) and two in the former’s (2022, 2024). Because of the once-in-500 years flooding event in the Houston area last August, however, the 2017 game was canceled.

In a press release Thursday, UTSA confirmed that the canceled 2017 game will now be played on Aug. 30, 2025, at TDECU Stadium in Houston. The 2023 game, which had been scheduled to be played in San Antonio, will now be played in Houston.

The 2022 and 2024 games had been scheduled for Houston’s home but will now be played in San Antonio’s Alamodome.

The two football teams have met twice previously, in 2013 and 2014. The road teams won each of those matchups, with the Roadrunners spoiling the opening of UH’s new stadium in the 2014 game.

Oregon LB arrested for removing parking boot dismissed by Ducks

Getty Images
1 Comment

In April, Fotu Leiato was arrested on a couple of charges related to the illegal removal of a parking boot from his vehicle.  A month later, we’ve learned Leiato was given the boot from his current football program for good measure.

247Sports.com was the first to report that Leiato has been dismissed by first-year Oregon head coach Mario Cristobal.  Further to the point, the linebacker’s dismissal came a day after his April arrest but the news didn’t surface until Thursday.

In the April incident, Leiato was arrested on charges of second-degree criminal mischief, second-degree theft and criminal trespassing.  That was actually his second arrest this year as he was charged with misdemeanor trespassing in January.

The combination of the two arrests led Cristobal to pull the trigger on a dismissal.

Coming to Eugene as a three-star safety, Leiato played in 37 of 38 games the past three seasons.  The Washington native earned the first start of his collegiate playing career during the 2017 season.

The senior had been in line to earn a starting job exiting spring and heading into the summer phase of the offseason.