Report: Argument between FSU teammates resulted in December shooting

20 Comments

As previously reported, Florida State offensive lineman Ira Denson was not seen working out with the team during an offseason workout open to the media on Thursday. Head coach Jimbo Fisher told The Orlando Sentinel “We’re going to evaluate how he does,” and suggested they wanted him to focus on his academics while he works his way back from an injury riddled 2013 season. Perhaps there was more to the story.

The Tallahassee Democrat reported Friday Denson allegedly used a debit card belonging to Florida State running back Mario Pender on December 20. Two days later the two were tied to an incident involving a shooting. According to the report, citing the police report from December 22, Pender took a pair of Denson’s sneakers as collateral until he could get his money back from Denson. Denson agreed to meet Pender somewhere to exchange money and the shoes. Denson was accompanied by Tarron Addison, who is now in a county jail facing an attempted murder charge. As reported, Pender sent his half-brother outside an apartment to return the shoes. Once the shoes were placed in the trunk of the car Denson was sitting in, the car started to drive away and Pender claims Addison pointed a gun out from the driver’s side window and fired a few times in the direction of Pender and his half-brother, who had been shot through the left ear.

Needless to say, this is not a good situation.

Some other questions may soon be worth exploring here as well. Both Denson and Pender remain on the Florida State roster (neither traveled with the team for the BCS Championship Game). Did Fisher know about this incident in question? If so, did he address Denson’s absence properly on Thursday? Denson has not been charged with any crime, so his status on the team would not fall under any questioning as far as that is concerned. Denson has denied to police using Pender’s debit card. If there is a rift between teammates that has allegedly involved bullets flying, has peace been made?

Georgia, Oregon to open 2022 season in Atlanta

Getty Images
1 Comment

The 2018 season will open with a rare intersectional matchup were a Pacific Northwest team travels across the country to meet an SEC team in its backyard. And now the 2022 season will as well.

With No. 6 Washington and No. 9 Auburn just 11 days away from their meeting in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff in Atlanta, Oregon and Georgia are officially set to do the same four years from now.

“Both coaches wanted to do it, and we got with the athletic directors and were able to put a deal together,” Peach Bowl, Inc., CEO Gary Stokan told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “We are ecstatic about having Georgia and Oregon.”

The Ducks and Dogs have met once previously, a 27-16 Georgia win on Sept. 10, 1977 in Athens.

The 2022 game, set for Sept. 3, will be Georgia’s fourth appearance in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff at its home away from home. The Bulldogs lost to Boise State to open the 2011 season, beat North Carolina in 2016 — Kirby Smart‘s first game as head coach — and will face Virginia to open 2020.

It will be Oregon’s first Chick-fil-A Kickoff appearance, though the Ducks did open 2011 with a loss to LSU in the Cowboys Classic at AT&T Stadium. Oregon will return to Dallas to open next season against Auburn.

“It’s a great honor for our program to open the 2022 season in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff game and to play a great program, like Georgia,” Oregon head coach Mario Cristobal said in a statement. “As we continue to grow this program we want to challenge ourselves against the best competition. I’m also extremely excited for our fans to make the trip to Mercedes-Benz Stadium and put their passion for the Ducks on full display.”

Oregon’s 2022 non-conference slate is now complete; the Ducks will host Eastern Washington and BYU in the weeks immediately following their Georgia opener. Georgia still has one opening for 2022. In addition to Oregon, the Bulldogs host Kent State on Sept. 24 and Georgia Tech on Nov. 26.

Future Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game schedule:

2018: Auburn vs. Washington
2019: Alabama vs. Duke
2020: Florida State vs. West Virginia (Saturday), Georgia vs. Virginia (Monday)
2021: Alabama vs. Miami, Louisville vs. Ole Miss
2022: Georgia vs. Oregon

 

JUCO transfer Will Jackson abruptly leaves Nebraska after two months

Getty Images
Leave a comment

That certainly didn’t last long.  At all.

In June of this year, Will Jackson joined the Nebraska football program as a junior college transfer.  Less than two months later, an NU official has confirmed that the defensive back has departed Scott Frost‘s team.

Jackson’s standing on the Cornhuskers’ depth chart is believed to be behind the decision to leave.

“We appreciate the competition Will helped incorporate into the room and we wish him the best,” a very brief statement from the team read.

The move, the Lincoln Journal Star noted, came just a day after secondary coach Travis Fisher said Jackson had been slower than some of the other defensive backs to learn the playbook.

The 6-3, 200-pound Jackson was originally a two-star 2015 signee at Kentucky, but was dismissed by the Wildcats in February of 2016 for unspecified violations of team rules.  The cornerback originally moved on the Iowa Western before abruptly leaving that team for Mesa (Ariz.) Community College.

Jackson is the 11th player to leave Frost’s program this offseason.  The other 10 are offensive lineman Bryan Brokop, wide receiver Zack Darlington (HERE) offensive lineman Michael Decker (HERE), tight end David Engelhaupt (HERE), linebacker Willie Hampton (HERE), fullback Ben Miles (HERE), quarterback Patrick O’Brien (HERE), tight end Matt Snyder (HERE) inside linebacker Andrew Ward (HERE) and wide receiver Keyan Williams (HERE).  Eight of those 10 transferred, while one of the remaining two, Decker, retired from football and the other, Darlington, joined the Army.

Arrest on sexual assault charges triggered LSU starting right guard Ed Ingram’s suspension

Auburn v LSU
Getty Images
2 Comments

After a relatively quiet summer, LSU has seen more than its fair share of negative headlines of late.

The latest involves Ed Ingram, the starting right guard who was indefinitely suspended at the start of camp earlier this month.  While the official reason for the suspension was the standard unspecified violations of team rules, the Baton Rouge Advocate is reporting that Ingram was arrested in Texas the day before the start of camp on two counts of aggravated sexual assault.

The alleged victim of the assaults was a minor, the DeSoto (Tex.) Police Department confirmed to the Advocate.  From the newspaper’s report:

The sheriff’s department arrested Ingram, 19, a native of DeSoto, Texas, on a warrant made by the DeSoto Police Department. The police department told The Advocate it had received a report of the incident from Child Protective Services on Aug. 22, 2017.

CPS said Tuesday it could not confirm the existence of the case because of state confidentiality laws.

The alleged assaults occurred prior to Ingram’s arrival at LSU as a four-star member of the Tigers’ 2017 recruiting class.  As part of the $40,000 bond posted for him, Ingram is permitted to leave the state of Texas but is barred from having any contact with the alleged victim as well as any other minor child.

Ingram started 12 games at right guard as a true freshman last season.  The suspension Ingram is currently serving is expected to extend on into the regular season.

Including Ingram, three Tiger football players have been arrested this month — linebacker Tyler Taylor on charges of conspiracy to commit a crime, party to a crime and theft by receiving stolen property, wide receiver Drake Davis for second-degree battery.

Michigan’s Deron Irving-Bey transfers to Central Michigan

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: SEP 30 Central Michigan at Boston College
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The rumors of a Big Ten addition to a MAC team has officially come to fruition.

Reports began to surface a day or two ago that Deron Irving-Bey would be transferring into the Central Michigan football program.  Monday night, CMU head coach John Bonamego confirmed that defensive lineman has indeed been added to his football roster.

Because of NCAA transfer rules, Irving-Bey will have to sit out the 2018 season.  Beginning with the 2019 season, he’ll have three years of eligibility at his disposal.

A four-star member of the Wolverines’ 2017 recruiting class, Irving-Bay was rated as the No. 9 strongside defensive end in the country and the No. 4 player at any position in the state of Michigan. Only one other end was rated higher than Irving-Bay in U-M’s class that year.

The Flint product took a redshirt his true freshman season.