Jameis Winston may be called as witness at teammates’ disciplinary hearing

20 Comments

The fallout from rape allegations against Jameis Winston (pictured, right) that became public late last year — and the circus his life has become since — continues unabated, with a university disciplinary hearing serving as the latest potential ring for the three-ring, Heisman-winning quarterback.

An attorney for the woman who alleged Winston raped her in December of 2012, John Clune, confirmed to FOXSports.com Monday that Winston is expected to be in attendance at an FSU code of conduct hearing involving a pair of teammates, defensive end Chris Casher and defensive back Ronald Darby (pictured, center), Tuesday morning. Not only will Winston likely be in attendance, but he is expected to be called to testify.

“We’ve been told by the university that he’s going to be called as a witness,” Clune told the website. “We expect him to be called.”

Both Casher and Darby, Winston’s roommates, had previously given sworn affidavits that they had witnessed Winston having sex with the accuser, but swore under oath that they believed the encounter to be consensual. Casher also admitted that he had used a cell phone to tape a portion of the sexual encounter but later deleted it.

Both Casher and Darby — the former expected to be part of the Seminoles’ defensive line rotation in 2014, the latter a starter in FSU’s secondary — could be expelled from FSU for violating the school’s code of conduct, pending the outcome of the hearing.  The pair is officially charged with conduct of sexual nature that creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment for another person as well as acts that invade the privacy of another person.  In addition, Casher faces a charge for the videotaping.

In early December of last year, following a three-week investigation, the Florida State’s Attorney office announced that there wasn’t enough evidence to prove that the sexual encounter between Winston and the alleged victim was not consensual, and that no charges would be filed against the player. The state’s attorney in charge of that investigation, William Meggs, was highly critical of the Tallahassee Police Department’s investigation into the alleged rape in a New York Times report, a report in which the university subsequently expressed its disappointment.

Earlier this month it was reported that the Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights had launched its own investigation into FSU’s handling of the case.  Another attorney for Winston’s accuser blasted the university in April for a Title IX investigation — a requirement under federal law when sexual assault is alleged — that was halted because Winston refused to cooperate.

While Winston did not face criminal charges in connection to the incident, the alleged victim is expected to pursue civil action against him as well as, potentially, FSU and the TPD.

Additionally, as FOXSports.com wrote, “Tuesday’s hearing also could have implications for Winston in relation to the federal probe.

If federal investigators conclude that Florida State administrators did not conduct a proper probe, they will work with school officials to make sure one is conducted. Though Winston would not face criminal charges because Florida prosecutors have already said there was not enough evidence to charge him, it’s possible he could still face discipline from the university, including expulsion.

Winston is coming off a suspension from the FSU baseball team after he received a misdemeanor citation for shoplifting nearly $33 in seafood from a grocery store.  The redshirt sophomore acknowledged in a subsequent apology that he was “in the public spotlight and my conduct needs to be above reproach,” while head coach Jimbo Fisher stated that Winston has to be responsible for his own actions.

Multiple Minnesota players facing bowl suspensions

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Minnesota will already be down a pair of starters for the postseason because players have decided to get a head start on their draft preparations.  Now, it appears decisions of another kind will lead to even more postseason personnel attrition for the Golden Gophers.

According to both the Minneapolis Star Tribune and St. Paul Pioneer Press, multiple Gopher football players will be suspended for the Dec. 26 Quick Lane Bowl matchup with Georgia Tech.  The Star Tribune reports that the number of suspended players is at least six, with as many as eight possibly sidelined as a result of the disciplinary actions.

The names of the players facing suspension have not been divulged.

Head coach P.J. Fleck has not yet addressed the postseason status of any member of his football team.  A school spokesperson declined to comment on the reports.

In December of 2016, the year before Fleck’s arrival, Minnesota suspended 10 players ahead of the Holiday Bowl as a result of sexual assault allegations.  A subsequent boycott by players threatened the school’s participation in the bowl before the group ultimately acquiesced and played in the postseason game.

Reports: a candidate for Temple job, Mike Elko to remain at Texas A&M

Getty Images
1 Comment

It appears as though Jimbo Fisher won’t have a vacancy on his Texas A&M coaching staff to fill this postseason.

In the days after Geoff Collins left Temple to take the head job at Georgia Tech, Mike Elko has been mentioned prominently as a potential replacement.  Wednesday, however, multiple reports have surfaced that Elko has decided to remain in College Station as the Aggies’ defensive coordinator.

Elko just completed his first season as Fisher’s coordinator after spending the 2017 season in the same job at Notre Dame.

In 2018, Elko was paid $1.8 million, making him the fourth-highest-paid assistant coach in the country.  While it’s not listed in the USA Today coaching salary database, it’s believed that Collins was working under a five-year, $10 million contract while the head coach of the Owls.

With Elko now out of the mix, a new report has surfaced that puts Michigan defensive coordinator Don Brown squarely in the mix.  Another defensive coordinator, Miami’s Manny Diaz, has also been mentioned as a possibility at the AAC school and has already interviewed for the job.

Blood clot in C.J. Fuller’s lung caused ex-Clemson RB’s death

Getty Images
1 Comment

C.J. Fuller died suddenly the afternoon of Oct. 3 after the former Clemson running back suffered chest pains as well as a suspected seizure.  Nearly 10 weeks later, a cause of the 22-year-old’s death has been released.

According to the Charleston Post & Courier, the Pickens County (SC) Coroner’s Office has determined that Fuller died as the result of a pulmonary thromboembolism and deep vein thrombosis stemming from a football injury.  A pulmonary thromboembolism is essentially a blood clot that breaks free and ultimately becomes lodged in the lungs.

Fuller had suffered a knee injury playing flag football in August of this year and underwent surgery the following month.  On the day of his death, he attended his first physical therapy session, one that reportedly went off without an issue.

“Our thoughts, prayers and deepest sympathies are with C.J.’s family,” Tigers head coach Dabo Swinney said in a statement at the time of Fuller’s death. “I’ve known C.J. a long time and watched him grow up through the Easley rec leagues all the way through Easley High School. I’m proud of what he accomplished as a Clemson Tiger, most of all, his accomplishment of being a Clemson graduate. Our deepest condolences and the thoughts of our program are with his family this evening. May he rest in peace.”

Following the 2017 season, Fuller left the team as a would-be graduate transfer. In late March, Fuller, who was expected to continue his collegiate playing career at another program, was one of three individuals charged in connection to an alleged armed robbery in downtown Clemson.

In 2017, Fuller, who began that season as the starter, was fifth on the Tigers with a career-high 217 yards and three touchdowns. He finished the Tigers portion of his playing career with 599 yards and four touchdowns on 147 carries, as well as 18 receptions for 155 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

One of those touchdown catches came in the College Football Playoff semifinal win over Ohio State in 2016. The Tigers went on to win the national championship that season.

Fuller earned a degree in sociology from Clemson in August, the same month in which he sustained the injury that preceded his death.

Auburn transfer TE Jalen Harris lists Georgia, Colorado among five potential landing spots

Getty Images
Leave a comment

It’s unclear at this point to where Jalen Harris will ultimately transfer, but the list of potential landing spots has been significantly whittled down.

In mid-September, Harris announced that he would be transferring from Auburn.  On Twitter Tuesday, the tight end revealed his list of five finalists that will serve as possible transfer destinations, including a pair of SEC schools in Georgia and Vanderbilt.

The other three schools include a pair of Power Five programs (Colorado, Kansas State) as well as one from the Group of Five (Troy).

A decision from Harris is expected at some point next week.

Harris did not play in more than four games this season, meaning he preserved a year of eligibility under the new redshirt rule.  He will also head to his new college football home as a graduate transfer, meaning he’ll be eligible to play immediately in 2019.

As a fourth-year senior this past season, the 6-4, 257-pound Harris played in three games before opting to transfer.  The previous three seasons, the Montgomery, Ala., native played in 39 games, with most of that action coming on special teams and as a blocking tight end.

Harris did, though, catch a pair of touchdown passes among his four career receptions.  Both touchdowns came during the 2016 season.