UNLV adds 13th game vs. Houston to 2014 slate

2 Comments

UNLV may be banned from the postseason this year, but the football team will still get the opportunity to play 13 games.

Following up on rumors that had surfaced in the last week, UNLV announced Thursday that it had indeed agreed to a 2014 game against Houston.  The game will be played Sat., Sept. 20, in Houston and will earn the Rebels a $400,000 payday.

UNLV, which is barred from playing in a bowl game due to low APR scores,  is permitted by NCAA bylaws to play a 13th regular season game because they play a game at Hawaii.

“We saw nothing but positives in adding a trip to Houston to the schedule,” said athletic director Tina Kunzer-Murphy. “Taking the team to play in a high-profile city and their brand-new stadium, while also helping our budget, is something that was certainly appealing. We are also excited to travel to an area of the country where a good number of our players call home. I want to thank University of Houston athletics director Mack Rhoades and his staff for their work in making this happen and we are looking forward to a great game.”

The work Rhoades and his staff put in to make it happen essentially boiled down to canceling a game against Tennessee Tech, for which UH will be compelled to pay an unspecified buyout.

The Rebels and Cougars have met two times previously, the last coming in 1990.  UH has won both games in the mini-series.

The opportunity to played a third game against that program was too much to pass up, especially when you combine the opportunity to connect on the recruiting front in Texas as well as afford some of their players (10 total) to play a home game on the road.

“We have a big group from Texas, including four seniors, so getting to play in front of friends and family will be memorable,” head coach Bobby Hauck said in a statement. “Texas is also one of our biggest recruiting areas after Nevada and California so we look forward to playing down there this fall against a bowl team in Houston.”

Nebraska squeezes in 12th game against Bethune-Cookman

Photo by Eric Francis/Getty Images
2 Comments

Nebraska will play a 12-game schedule after all, as long as Mother Nature decides to cooperate for the rest of the season. Nebraska announced today it has added a home football game against Bethune-Cookman.

According to the release from Nebraska, the Huskers will host the FCS school on October 27. The game will replace a home game wiped out by lightning against Akron back in Week 1.

“Our great fans and our football student-athletes deserve a full schedule, and we are glad to be able to provide an additional game on Oct. 27 against Bethune-Cookman,” Nebraska Athletic Director Bill Moos said. “We appreciate the patience of our fans through this process.”

Nebraska will pay Bethune-Cookman $800,000 to make the trip to Lincoln.

Injury will sideline Cal’s Cameron Goode for remainder of the year

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Unfortunately, Cal’s worst injury fears have been realized yet again.

In the Bears’ season-opening win over North Carolina, Cameron Goode sustained what’s only been described as an unspecified lower-leg injury.  The redshirt sophomore linebacker did not play in the past two games because of the injury and won’t play again this season, Justin Wilcox confirmed Wednesday.

“I really feel for him because he puts a lot into football,” the head coach said. “He’ll go through that window of not being able to play this year. It’s a pretty short window, then he’ll start working on what’s next.”

It’s expected Goode will be fully recovered by the start of spring practice.

This marks the second-straight season his year has ended prematurely because of injury.  Last year, he started the first nine games before being sidelined for the remainder of the season.

Goode had returned an interception for a touchdown in the opener before going down with the leg injury.  He also returned a pick for a score last season in the win over Ole Miss.

Recently-retired Minnesota RT Nick Connelly loses three-month battle with cancer

Getty Images
7 Comments

There’s incredibly sad news coming out of the Minnesota football program Thursday afternoon.

In an absolutely heartbreaking missive posted to Twitter, Chuck Connelly, the father of former Minnesota offensive lineman Nick Connelly, revealed that his son lost his three-month battle with cancer Wednesday.  Or, as the elder Connelly put it, “[o]n Wednesday Sept. 19, 2018 Heaven needed a right tackle and Nick Connelly got the call.”

Connelly was just 22 years old.

The younger Connelly was diagnosed with Burkitt’s lymphoma in June of this year.  A very rare form of cancer — WebMD states just that just 1,200 cases are diagnosed annually in the United States, with nearly 60 percent of those coming in patients over the age of 40 — and is recognized as the fastest growing human tumor.

In late October of last year, Connelly, who had started the first five games of the 2017 season at right tackle for the Gophers, announced that he was retiring from football because of the effects of multiple concussions.

Our thoughts, prayers and condolences go out to Connelly’s family, friends and former teammates for their loss.

Western Kentucky losing RB Marquez Trigg to transfer

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Another day, another FBS player has made an in-season move away from their now-former program.

Marquez Trigg wrote on his personal Twitter account this week that he has decided to transfer from Western Kentucky. “I will graduate in December and transfer to pursue other opportunities for my 5th year of college football,” the running back wrote.

While the redshirt junior gave no specific reason for the departure, a steep drop in opportunities this season likely played a significant role.

After taking a redshirt as a true freshman in 2015, Trigg ran for 465 yards combined in 2016 (298) and 2017 (167) on 122 carries. This season, his nine carries in three games netted him just 12 yards.

Trigg totaled four rushing touchdowns during his time with the Hilltoppers, two each during the last two seasons. He also caught 12 passes for 59 yards out of the backfield last season.