Four-star 2015 TE chooses Duke over… USC?

14 Comments

The times they are a-changin’” — Bob Dylan, circa 1964 but still relevant today, especially as it relates to one particular stop on the recruiting trail.

As you may or may not be aware, Duke football underwent a renaissance of sorts in 2014. In his sixth season with the football program, David Cutcliffe and his Blue Devils set a school record in 2013 for wins in a season with 10 and earned its first-ever Coastal division title. Duke played in its first-ever ACC championship game as well, and played in a bowl game in back-to-back seasons for the first time in the program’s 92-year history.

Apparently, that momentum has bled into the 2015 recruiting season as the Blue Devils Wednesday picked up a commitment from Tyler Petite. Petite is a four-star 2015 recruit, rated as the No. 13 tight end in the country. Normally tight end verbals don’t warrant a mention here. This one, however, is different.

You see, Petite hails from the state of California and had narrowed his choices down to Duke and USC. So, yes — at least for now — Petite opted for the Blue Devils over the Trojans and to play his college football clear on the other side of the country.

It should be noted, however, that the decision was far from a no-brainer.

It was pretty much the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make,” Petite told Rivals.com. “I got home from USC and I wanted to take some time, just a week, to kind of get back to neutral almost. You’re always going to be high coming off that last visit, especially with it being one of my favorite schools.

“I sat down with my family going through the pros and cons and I couldn’t find any cons for either school. Everything about both I just loved. One day I was thinking USC. The next day it would be Duke. Even my family had no idea. We all just thought both would be a great fit,” Petite continued.

“Then I was just sitting in my room one day and I thought, ‘For the next four or five years, where would I be most comfortable?’ Duke just came to me. It’s so much like my high school and that stuck with me. I went to bed that night and when I woke up it was still Duke. Then I went to bed again, got up, and it was Duke. Finally I went to my dad and told him.”

Still, kudos to Cutcliffe and his his staff for pulling a significant commitment from USC’s own state. The task, though, will now be for the Blue Devils to hang on to the commitment until February of next year as first-year Trojans head coach Steve Sarkisian and his staff will no doubt be looking to flip Petite over the next several months.

(Photo credit: Rivals.com)

Nevada’s EJ Muhammad announces season-ending surgery on Instagram

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Once again, a player has utilized social media to make a rather significant announcement.

On his Instagram account earlier this week, Nevada defensive back EJ Muhammad announced that he will miss the remainder of the 2018 season after undergoing surgery. Just what the medical procedure he underwent is unclear at the moment.

The football program, for what it’s worth, has not addressed Muhammad’s status moving forward.

Muhammad appeared in nine games as a redshirt sophomore last season, starting three of those contests. He had started the first two games of the 2018 season as well before missing the last two because of the injury that ultimately will sideline him for the remainder of the year.

Demoted Clemson QB Kelly Bryant misses second straight practice

Getty Images
2 Comments

Things are certainly getting interesting, quarterback-wise, for the second-ranked team in the country.

Monday, Dabo Swinney confirmed that senior Kelly Bryant had been benched in favor of true freshman Trevor Lawrence.  A day later, Swinney revealed that he and Bryant had a lengthy conversation in which the two discussed, among other things, the possibility of a transfer.

According to Swinney, he gave Bryant the day off from practice Monday to allow him to wrap his head around the demotion.  Both TigerNet.com and The State are now reporting, though, that Bryant missed a second consecutive day of practice on Tuesday.

The obvious intimation from a second straight day of missing practice is that Bryant is seriously contemplating a move from the Tigers — or has already decided a move on is in his best interests.  Because of the NCAA’s new redshirt rule, Bryant, who started the first four games of the 2018 season, could leave the Tigers now and retain a year of eligibility that he can use in 2019 at another school.

If he were to play another down this season, however, Bryant’s collegiate career would be over at the end of the 2018 season.

“Certainly if he walked in here today and said, ‘Hey coach, I don’t want to play the rest of the year unless you’ve got to have me,’ well ‘Ok, if that’s what you want to do I’m all for it.’ I love Kelly,” Swinney said earlier today, prior to the reports od a second missed practice surfaced. “I would be disappointed in that because we need him. But I wouldn’t judge him for that.”

Bryant has started the last 18 games under center for the Tigers, winning 16 of those contests.  Lawrence was a highly-touted five-star 2018 signee who had outplayed the incumbent the first third of the regular season.

Alabama to change Bryant-Denny Stadium layout after LB Dylan Moses crashes into wall

Getty Images
Leave a comment

In one of those moments that you wonder how it doesn’t happen more often, Alabama linebacker Dylan Moses crashed into a fence near the corner of a Bryant-Denny Stadium end zone on Saturday and remained down for a few perilous moments. He got up safely, and No. 1 Alabama cruised to a 45-23 win over Texas A&M.

But Nick Saban said Monday Alabama will work to ensure such an event doesn’t happen again.

“They’re going to try to do some stuff to the stadium there to shave that little corner off a little bit and pad it up a little better,” Saban told AL.com. “That was something that, after being here all these years, I never even noticed that until that play. That is definitely something that we are addressing.”

Just a few steps separate the playing field from a padded wall. Moses didn’t actually make contact with the wall, he crashed into a security guard, who was then pinned against the wall.

“As far as the security guard, I feel sorry for him,” Moses said. “But if it wasn’t for him, I’d probably be in the hospital right now because he was really in between the wall and me. I know I ran into his like knee, that was pretty bad, gruesome.”

As AL.com notes, Crimson Tide wide receiver Keith Brown had to be taken off the field in a stretcher after crashing into a wall at the other end of the field in 2004. He suffered a shoulder injury on the play.

DUI case against Louisville TEs coach has been ‘worked out’

Getty Images
1 Comment

Last month, Louisville tight ends coach Chris Klenakis was arrested for DUI, reckless driving, felony wanton endangerment and possession of alcohol. He was pulled over at 1 a.m. after a Saturday during fall camp after he was spotted while driving through a construction zone with workers present and seen swerving on Interstate 64 West, nearly striking a wall barrier multiple times, according to an arrest citation by the Shelby County (Ky.) Sheriff’s Department.

His blood alcohol content was .165, more than twice the legal limit in Kentucky. The sheriff’s department said he nearly walked in front of a moving truck during his field sobriety test and that multiple used beer cans were spotted in his vehicle’s passenger seat.

He was immediately placed on leave, but it seems his legal case will be resolved this week.

According to WDRB in Louisville, Klenakis’s attorney Alan Zaring entered a not guilty plea on Tuesday, but told the judge “we can enter a resolution” on Thursday.

No matter the resolution, Bobby Petrino stated earlier this week Klenakis will remain on administrative leave for the rest of this season.