Winston accuser’s lawyer: QB’s camp talked of ‘paying off our client’

27 Comments

The he-said/she-said/he-said brand of public lawyering continues unabated this afternoon.

This morning both PFT and TMZ.com reported that the advisor to Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, in a letter to FSU officials and as he had wrote on Twitter yesterday, stated his client would cooperate with the university’s Title IX investigation into an alleged rape.  The advisor, David Cornwell, also claimed in the letter that the alleged victim’s lawyer “demanded $7 [million] to settle her client’s claims against FSU and Winston” and that “if we settle, you will never hear from my client or me again — in the press or anywhere.”

In response to Cornwell’s claims, the Title IX attorney for the alleged victim has fired back with accusations of his own.

“The facts that Mr. Cornwell chose not to disclose are that it was he himself who reached out to our client’s former counsel Patricia Carroll to discuss paying off our client,” read a portion of a statement from lawyer John Clune to the Orlando Sentinel. “Patricia Carroll didn’t even know who David Cornwell was until he called. Mr. Cornwell then himself flew down from Atlanta to negotiate with Ms. Carroll.”

“Settlement discussions were immediately unproductive as Cornwell was crude and insulting going so far as to say ‘your client likes to (expletive) football players,'” Clune’s statement read according to USA Today. “When told that the client’s main concern was not money but that Winston be held accountable for his actions, Cornwell threatened to sue our client and her parents for civil racketeering in an effort to intimidate them into staying quiet.”

Patricia Carroll was the attorney referenced in Cornwell’s letter to the school as the one attempting to extort his client.  It should also be noted that Clune refers to Carroll as “our client’s former council,” even as she’s expecetd to release a statement Thursday.

“Although it is our understanding that settlement was discussed at that meeting [with Carroll], no authorized demands were made of Mr. Winston,” Clune wrote, in part, according to the Associated Press. Klune was not in attendance at that meeting.

The Sentinel also wrote that Clune “called the [Cornwell’s] letter ‘self-serving’ and said it was full of ‘dishonest and distorted statements'” in his statement.

Earlier today, Jimbo Fisher told reporters that he had heard of the reports from earlier today but hadn’t read them. Yesterday, the FSU head coach also revealed that Winston would no longer be made available to the media during the week so that the player could concentrate on football.

UPDATED 4:04 p.m. ET: David Cornwell took to Twitter to respond to Clune’s statement/allegations.  And, yes, this is getting uglier by the second.

LSU students will go to class on Saturday to make up for national title game

Getty Images
2 Comments

LSU students who got to skip class for the national title game (and the ensuing celebrations…) were hit with a dose of reality returning to Baton Rouge on Friday.

According to an announcement from the university, classes that were cancelled on Monday and Tuesday for the championship game have been rescheduled. As a result, students will have to go to class on Saturday, Jan. 25 and Saturday, Feb. 8.

So yes, Saturdays in the fall have resulted in a few Saturdays of work in the spring.

The school had received a bit of criticism when it was announced that classes were cancelled on the dates surrounding the championship game. While the practice has happened elsewhere, the nature of the game being less than an hour from campus in New Orleans certainly made things unique for the Tigers and their large fan base.

While some students no doubt had hoped that the classes at the time were indeed cancelled, it turns out they were in fact just being rescheduled. Going to school on a Saturday probably isn’t what many had in mind when signing up for the spring semester but there’s probably not a soul in purple and gold will take issue with the change given that it comes as a result of hoisting the ultimate football trophy on Monday night in the Big Easy.

Virginia safety Chris Moore enters transfer portal

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The transfer portal has claimed another name.

As first noted by ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg, Virginia safety Chris Moore has entered his name into the database as he explores a move out of Charlottesville.

Moore started five of his nine appearances for the Cavaliers in 2019 and wound up recording 42 tackles. While he was in line to become one of the key members in the secondary going forward, a prior  suspension for violating team rules back in November may have wound up playing a role in his departure and standing with the team.

The safety had previously missed all of the 2018 season with an injury as well.

Moore was originally a three-star recruit out of Ashburn, Va. in 2016 and, assuming the redshirt senior has a degree, likely has a season remaining as a grad transfer.

DL Jay Tufele, WR Tyler Vaughns skipping draft to stay at USC

Getty Images
1 Comment

Clay Helton has a lot of issues to deal with at the moment. Having a talented USC football team is not one of them.

The Trojans received a rare bit of good news on Thursday evening as two key players announced they were skipping the 2020 NFL Draft. In back-to-back announcements, defensive lineman Jay Tufele and wideout Tyler Vaughns confirmed they would remain in Los Angeles for the 2020 season.

Tufele is one of USC’s best defensive players. He recorded 42 tackles and 4.5 sacks last season as a redshirt sophomore despite dealing with a handful of injuries. With leading sacker Drake Jackson also back, there’s a nice tandem up front for whoever the team hires as defensive coordinator to work with going forward.

Vaughns returning also makes a dangerous receiving corps that much deeper. Michael Pittman Jr. was lost to graduation but the next three top wideouts are set to be back in 2020. Add in a group of solid tailbacks and both J.T. Daniels and Kedon Slovis at QB and USC will once again have one of the top offenses in the Pac-12.

Whether it will all help save Helton’s job again remains to be seen. If nothing else though, there’s at least there’s some positive news for the cardinal and gold this offseason with Tufele and Vaughns back in the fold going forward.

Nebraska and OC Troy Walters “mutually agreed to part ways”

Getty Images
1 Comment

A year after significantly falling short of expectations, an offseason of change has commenced at Nebraska.

In one of the first big moves since Scott Frost took over at his alma mater, the Cornhuskers and offensive coordinator Troy Walters announced on Friday that they had ‘mutually agreed to part ways.’

“Troy has been a valued member of our coaching staff for the past four years,” Frost said in a statement. “Troy is a good mentor for his players, provides great energy on and off the field, and carries himself with a presence off the field that will be missed. I want to thank him for his work on our coaching staff, and wish him and his family all the best going forward.”

The duo first came together when Frost was hired at UCF and led a number of prolific offenses, including the undefeated 2017 team for the Knights. Walters was a finalist for the Broyles Award that same season though has not called plays for either team.

Walters had a distinguished career as a player at Stanford that included All-American honors and a Biletnikoff Award in 1999. He spent several years in the NFL before going into coaching during stops at Texas A&M, N.C. State and Colorado.

The departure of Walters could interestingly lead to a reunion between Frost and a familiar name in Mark Helfrich. The latter was head coach at Oregon when Frost was elevated to offensive coordinator for the Ducks and is in search of a job after being let go by the Chicago Bears from a similar role.