No. 14 Arizona State pulls away from Washington for windy 24-10 win

On a night where winds approaching 60 miles per hour knocked both team’s offensive game-plans – and, at times, the ESPN broadcast – off course, No. 14 Arizona State notched two late touchdowns to beat Washington 24-10 in Seattle.

After Arizona State grabbed a 10-0 halftime lead, Washington pulled into a 10-10 tie with a 63-yard interception return for a touchdown by John Timu – Washington’s sixth defensive touchdown on the season – in the third quarter and a Cameron Van Winkle 23-yard field goal with 7:14 remaining in the fourth quarter.

Arizona State immediately responded by moving 75 yards in nine plays, producing the go-ahead score on a seven-yard pass from Taylor Kelly to Gary Chambers.

Washington then moved to the Arizona State 44 on its would-be game-tying drive, but then suffered a sack, a holding penalty, another sack and, fatally, a 61-yard interception return for a touchdown by Armand Perry. Perry’s score meant that defensive touchdowns equaled the number of offensive touchdowns on the night, 2-2.

Kelly returned to action for the first time in six weeks to complete 14-of-25 passes for 180 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. Unfortunately, Kelly was hit hard in the head on his final pass – the score to Kelly – and then was examined by medical staff and had his helmet taken away. D.J. Foster rushed 13 times for 36 yards and caught four passes for 52 yards, while Jaelen Strong nabbed three passes for 55 yards and a touchdown.

Troy Williams made his first start for an injured Cyler Miles, and the Huskies suffered for it. He hit 18-of-26 passes, but for only 139 yards with two interceptions. Shaq Thompson spent most of the night on offense and rushed 21 times for 98 yards.

The win pushes Arizona State to 6-1 (4-1 Pac-12) with a massive game against Utah waiting Saturday in Sun Devil Stadium. Washington falls to 5-3, but gets the healing elixir of a date with Colorado Saturday in Boulder.

For Chase Brice, USF would make for a familiar landing spot

Chase Brice