Illinois QB Wes Lunt expected to return for Iowa game on Nov. 15

Great news, Illini fans. Head coach Tim Beckman said Monday starting quarterback Wes Lunt is expected to return to action… for Illinois’ game with Iowa on November 15.

There is the little matter of a visit to No. 13 Ohio State on Saturday night where Lunt will not be available, but this is good news nonetheless.

“Great. Awesome,” Beckman said of Lunt to the Chicago Sun-Times. “We feel like there is a great possibility [for him] to be back after the open [week].”

Lunt was lost for four-to-six weeks with a leg fracture suffered during the Illini’s loss 38-27 loss to Purdue on Oct. 4.

In all actuality, the Ohio State game is more than likely a loss regardless of Lunt’s availability. But getting him back for the home stretch is absolutely critical.

The Illini will need to win two of their final three games (assuming a loss to the Buckeyes) to reach a bowl game, more than likely a requirement to push the three-year Beckman era to four. Beckman is 10-22 at Illinois and 2-18 against the Big Ten, but reaching six wins would represent continued progress from his 2-10 debut and 4-8 follow-up in 2013.

Lunt leads the team with 1,569 passing yards and 15 touchdowns on 127-of-191 passing. Reilly O’Toole has received the bulk of the action in Lunt’s absence; he’s completed 127-of-191 passes for 1,569 yards with 15 touchdowns and five interceptions and rushed for 75 additional yards with one touchdown.

Bret Bielema reportedly interviewing for Colorado job

Bret Bielema is interviewing for the Colorado head coaching position, according to reports Monday from NFL Network and ESPN.

Bielema tried to get in on the Michigan State job that, obviously, went to Mel Tucker, so now he’s in the running for the job Tucker left.

The former Wisconsin and Arkansas head coach joined Bill Belichick‘s witness protection program after his 2017 Arkansas firing, working for a year as “consultant to the head coach” in New England. He was promoted to defensive line coach and reportedly told friends he was in the running to become the defensive coordinator after Greg Schiano stepped down, but Belichick wound up giving that job to himself.

He wound up following Joe Judge from Foxboro to the New York Giants, but now has apparently decided he’d rather be back in college than work as a position coach at the NFL level.

Bielema went 68-24 at Wisconsin before his 29-34 flameout at Arkansas. His teams famously stuck to a ground-and-pound philosophy that worked like peanut butter and jelly in Madison but peanut butter and salsa in Fayetteville. So, should Colorado be as interested in Bielema as he apparently is in them, his offensive philosophy would figure to be question one in the interview.

Mel Tucker reels in 3-star RB who delayed signing after Dantonio retirement