Hokies may have a running back-hating god; Williams done for 2014 with torn ACL

An injury-riddled season has come to an unfortunate end for Virginia Tech running back Marshawn Williams. The talented freshman running back torn his left ACL in a win against Duke on Saturday. The injury will bring a premature ending to his freshman season and is expected to keep him out of spring practices. Virginia Tech trainer Mike Goforth made the announcement on Tuesday.

According to a release from the Virginia Tech athletics department, team doctors will wait for swelling to go down in Williams’ left knee before moving forward with any operations in the coming weeks. Williams played in nine games this season and started eight of those games. Despite spraining his ankle in an early-October game against North Carolina to held him back for a brief period of time, Williams is Virginia Tech’s leading rusher with 475 yards this season. He has scored four touchdowns as well.

Virginia Tech has not had much luck with running backs this season. Shai McKenzie tore his right ACL in September to end his season as it was just getting started. Trey Edmunds has not returned to the field after breaking his clavicle in October as well.

Virginia Tech takes on Wake Forest this weekend in ACC play. The Hokies currently have J.C. Coleman listed as a starter at tailback on the team’s most recent depth chart. Jerome Wright and Joel Caleb are listed as back-ups. Coleman is third on the team this fall with 160 rushing yards and two touchdowns. Caleb and Wright have combined for an additional 108 rushing yards.

If believing in gods is your thing, send a prayer to the Angry Running Back Hating God that is looking over Virginai Tech this week.

Leading rusher at FCS level declares for 2020 NFL Draft

2020 NFL Draft
Monmouth athletics