Earlier this year, Korliss Marshall shined in Arkansas’ spring game. Nearly eight months later, the running back is on the outside of the football program looking in.
Speaking to ESPN.com Tuesday, head coach Bret Bielema confirmed that Marshall is not longer a part of the Razorbacks. Bielema said the decision to part ways came after a meeting Monday that lasted nearly an hour.
“He’s never going to have the opportunity to play for the Razorbacks again, but hopefully this will be a stepping-stone to something in the right direction instead of the wrong direction,” Bielema said. “He’ll never be with us again.
“I met with him last night for 45 minutes to an hour just trying to narrow some schools down that he would like to take a peek at. We also looked at the Canadian Football League for him as well.”
At one point in the 2014 season, Marshall, a true sophomore, was suspended for an unspecified violation of team rules.
Marshall recorded carries in six games this season, rushing for 119 yards and a touchdown, while also leading the Razorbacks in kickoff returns. As a true freshman last season, he rushed for 146 yards on 17 carries.
A three-star member of UA’s 2013 recruiting class, Marshall was rated as the No. 6 player at any position in the state of Arkansas.
Both Jonathan Williams (1,085) and Alex Collins (1024) ran for 1,000-plus yards this season and have eligibility remaining. Collins, though, is considering an early jump into the NFL draft pool.
Bielema said that Collins has submitted his paperwork to the NFL’s draft advisory board and will make a decision once he gets a response from that body.