Florida State’s early-entry quartet is officially complete.
Following up on reports regarding both players of late, FSU announced via a press release Friday afternoon that cornerback Ronald Darby and defensive end Mario Edwards Jr. have made decisions to leave the Seminoles early for the NFL draft. The defensive duo joins quarterback Jameis Winston and cornerback P.J. Williams, who revealed their respective decisions earlier in the week.
Edwards was a first-team All-ACC performer in 2014 after leading the ‘Noles in tackles for loss with 11, and started 26 games in his career. Darby, the conference’s Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2012, started 23 games the past two seasons, including all 14 in 2014.
“Mario was a tremendous player and person here at FSU and I want to thank him for three great years here,” said head coach Jimbo Fisher. “Mario improved each year since he arrived on campus and I’m excited to see him continue that growth in the NFL. I’m excited for him and his family and I think he will have a great professional career.”
“Ronald was a big part of our success here and helped us reach the next level over the last three years,” the coach said said. “I’m excited for Ronald and his family. He was a phenomenal player for us here at Florida State, and I think he has a chance to be a great pro.”
The Seminoles did get good news on the draft-eligible front Thursday as All-American kicker Robert Aguayo announced he would be returning for his redshirt junior season in 2015.