Report: NFL-bound Clemson lineman asked to leave team

11 Comments

And now we know a little more of the rest of the story.  Reportedly.

Earlier Thursday, Clemson announced that Isaiah Battle was leaving the Tigers in order to make himself available for the NFL’s supplemental draft next month.  According to Battle’s statement, he will become a father this summer and has “family issues” that need to be addressed, which helped him pull the trigger on the unexpected decision.

However, TheClemsonInsider.com is reporting that Battle was asked to leave the team following a recent incident involving marijuana.

The Clemson Insider has learned former Clemson left tackle Isaiah Battle was pulled over on at 12:47 p.m. on June 11 by Clemson City Police for speeding and as a result was caught with simple possession of marijuana.

Battle was given a citation for speeding and for possession of marijuana, but did not go to jail nor was he charged with anything.

Clemson announced earlier on Thursday that Battle will enter the NFL Supplemental Draft. Though sources told us he was asked to leave the team because this was the third strike for the senior left tackle.

In a statement praising Battle for all he accomplished during his time with the Tigers, head coach Dabo Swinney said “[w]e appreciate all that Isaiah has done for the program the last three years.”

Battle was suspended for one game in 2013 for punching a North Carolina State player during a September win.  He was also suspended for one game last season.

What if any impact all of these issues would have on Battle’s supplemental draftability remains to be seen.  Josh Gordon was booted from two FBS football programs (Utah, Baylor, both within months of each other in 2011) over drugs and failed tests, but was still selected by the Cleveland Browns in the second round of the 2012 supplemental draft.  Gordon, a Pro Bowl wide receiver in 2013, was suspended for the first two games of the 2013 season; the first 11 games of the 2014 season; and all 16 games of the 2015 season because of various drug- and alcohol-related issues.

Two Rutgers players tweet decisions to transfer from Scarlet Knights

Rutgers football
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Even as the Rutgers football program adds transfers, Greg Schiano‘s new squad is losing them through the same process.

Friday evening, wide receiver Mohamed Jabbie announced on Twitter that he has decided to transfer from the Rutgers football team.  Just a few hours later, teammate and offensive lineman Michael Maietti (pictured) used the same social-media platform to announce a similar decision.

Both Jabbie and Maietti will be leaving the Scarlet Knights as graduate transfers.  The loss of the latter, though, will likely leave the biggest mark.

The past three seasons, Maietti has started 33 games at center for the Scarlet Knights.  The New Jersey native earned Academic All-Big Ten honors each of the last three seasons.

Appearing in 27 games, Jabbie started 12 of those contests.

This past season, Jabbie set career-highs in catches (14), receiving yards (149) and receiving touchdowns (one).  He will apparently finish his Rutgers football career with 182 yards and a touchdown on 18 receptions.

CB Tony Butler posts classy, heartfelt goodbye in announcing transfer from Nebraska

Nebraska football
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Thanks to a Nebraska football player, we won’t have to go through an entire day without a portal post.  Hurray?

Late this past week, Tony Butler announced in a very classy, heartfelt post on Twitter that he will be entering the NCAA transfer database.  The move would serve as the first step in a departure from the Nebraska football program.

The cornerback could also return to the Nebraska football team if he so desires.

That said, Butler would be leaving the Cornhuskers as a graduate transfer.  The 2020 season will be his final year of collegiate eligibility.

“In 2016, I came here as an 18-year-old kid lost and looking for a home.  Nebraska, you became my home and brought me in with open arms,” Butler wrote. “This place became very special. …

“Nebraska, you have done an incredible job at helping a lost boy become a man.  My family and I are forever grateful for this opportunity.”

A three-star 2016 signee, Butler was rated as the No. 22 player regardless of position in the state of Ohio.  He took a redshirt as a true freshman.

The past three seasons, Butler played in 27 games.  Four of those appearances came in 2019, which was likely the trigger for the decision to transfer.  Most of the games played came on special teams.

Butler is the third player to leave the Nebraska football program in a week.

Linebacker Pernell Jefferson, a three-star 2016 signee, entered the portal Wednesday.  Days before that, offensive lineman John Raridon decided to retire from football to pursue a career in architecture.

Five-star Penn State WR Justin Shorter tweets transfer to Florida

Florida Gators football
Getty Images
1 Comment

The Florida Gators football program is the latest to benefit from Ye Olde Transfer Portal.

In late November, Justin Shorter took the initial step in transferring from Penn State by entering the NCAA database.  Two months to the day later, the wide receiver took to Twitter to announce that he has committed to continuing his collegiate playing career as part of the Florida Gators football team.

As of yet, UF has not announced Shorter’s addition to the roster.

A five-star member of the Nittany Lions’ 2018 recruiting class, Shorter was rated as the No. 1 receiver in the country; the No. 1 player at any position in the state of New Jersey; and the No. 8 recruit overall on 247Sports.com‘s composite board.  Only defensive end Micah Parsons was rated higher than Shorter in Franklin’s class that year.

Limited to four games as a true freshman in large part because of injuries, Shorter caught three passes for 20 yards in 2018.  In 11 games this season, Shorter caught 12 passes for 137 yards.

Barring the unexpected, Shorter will have to sit out the 2020 season to satisfy NCAA transfer bylaws.  He would then have two seasons of eligibility beginning in 2021.

World of college football reacts to tragic deaths of Kobe Bryant, 13-year-old daughter in helicopter crash

Leave a comment

As is the case across the entire world of sports, college football is reacting to the devastating news involving Kobe Bryant.

Sunday morning, Bryant was one of nine people killed — initial reports had the number at five — in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, on his way to a travel basketball event.  The former NBA superstar, who retired from the sport following the 2015-16 season, was 41.

Adding to the devastation, one of Bryant’s daughters, who was also a player on her father’s travel basketball team, 13-year-old Gianna Maria Bryant, was killed in the crash as well.

Kobe and Gianna are survived by wife/mother Vanessa and three daughters/sisters.  The oldest is 17, the youngest will turn one in June.

In the hours after the heartbreaking news was confirmed, the world of college football mourned the passing of Kobe Bryant. Below is just a sampling.