It’s been a very, very bad last couple of weeks for the Rutgers football program, and this won’t make things any better. In fact, quite the opposite.
This past weekend, star Rutgers wide receiver Leonte Carroo was suspended by Kyle Flood for what turned out to be a charge of simple assault involving a domestic violence incident. Specifically, Carroo has been accused of slamming a woman with whom he had a previous relationship into the concrete outside of the RU football facility.
On Wednesday, the alleged victim, who is not being named, spoke to the Bergen Record about the incident, added disturbing details to an already disturbing storyline.
The alleged victim, who works in the RU football facility, claims she was confronted by Carroo’s current girlfriend and a group of individuals outside of the Hale Center following the RU-Washington State game Saturday. At some point, Carroo reportedly became aware of the confrontation between his ex and his current girlfriend and, despite being warned not to get involved by someone in the locker room, went out amidst the disturbance and, again allegedly, grabbed the ex from behind to initiate the alleged assault. From the Record‘s report:
Her voice shaky at times, the woman, who is from Bergen County, said she recalled “just going high in the air.”
“He picked me up and just dropped me,” said the woman, who asked that her name not be used. “I remember that slam. I remember hitting the ground and seeing all those people around me.”
“He knows his own strength. He shouldn’t have done it. I’m 107 pounds. He shouldn’t have thrown me into the concrete,” said the woman, who injured her hip, palms and the left side of her head, according to the court complaint. Carroo is listed by the football program as 6 feet 1 inch and 215 pounds.
After hitting the ground, she said, she believes she blacked out for about 10 seconds. “When I looked up, I had a crowd of about 15 people around me. One girl was hitting me with a [traffic] cone,” she said.
“I have never been so scared,” she said.
None of the other individuals allegedly involved, including the current girlfriend, have been charged. Carroo has pleaded not guilty, and is scheduled to appear in court Oct. 1. He remains suspended from the football program.
“The position we are taking is that any response we make will be in the courtroom,” Carroo’s attorney, Peter Gilbreth, told the Record. “This is not going to be litigated in the press. It will be litigated in the courtroom.”
In addition to Carroo’s off-field woes, six members of the Scarlet Knights were arrested in connection to either an aggravated assault or a series of home invasion robberies and were dismissed from the program in the last month. On top of that, RU’s head coach has been suspended for the next three games for improper contact with a faculty member.