Derrick Henry, Kyle Allen push No. 10 Alabama past No. 9 Texas A&M

It’s pretty tough to beat Alabama when Derrick Henry rumbles for two touchdowns. It’s nay impossible when your own quarterback pitches in three more. Henry’s pair of scores and Kyle Allen‘s three pick-sixes doomed No. 9 Texas A&M in a 41-23 loss to No. 10 Alabama Saturday afternoon in College Station.

After a pair of punts to open the game, Allen opened the scoring for Alabama when Minkah Fitzpatrick snagged a misfire and returned it 33 yards for a touchdown at the 7:53 mark of the first quarter. Henry raced in untouched from 55 yards out two-and-a-half minutes later to give the Tide a 14-0 lead, and a 73-0 run over the Aggies dating back to last season’s 59-0 demolition.

Taylor Bertolet put A&M on the scoreboard with a 54-yard field goal late in the first quarter, but Henry scored again to open the second quarter, this time a six-yard plunge, to push the lead to 21-3. After another Bertolet field goal, Texas A&M threatened to pull within one score, driving deep into Alabama territory, but Allen again misfired, and Tide safety Eddie Jackson capitalized on the mistake with a 93-yard race back, turning a potential 21-13 deficit to a 28-6 hole with 6:28 to go.

But from there, the Aggies’ defense stiffened – helped greatly by Alabama standout center Ryan Kelly leaving the game with an apparent concussion – and the Tide special teams took over for the A&M offense as the unit that couldn’t get out of its own way.

It started when Christian Kirk raced a punt back 68 yards for a touchdown to close the scoring in the first half, and continued into the second when Alabama return man Cyrus Jones fumbled at his own 47. Allen hit Ricky Seals-Jones for a 44-yard gain, then again for a three-yard toss, and suddenly 28-6 turned into 28-20.

But where Alabama capitalized on its chances, Texas A&M did not. After Myles Garrett blocked a J.K. Scott punt immediately after the Seals-Jones touchdown, allowing Texas A&M to take over just 29 yards away from a potential game-tying touchdown, the Aggies moved backward. Allen took a five-yard sack on 3rd-and-10 and Bertolet’s ensuing 52-yard field goal try was five yards short. And just as soon as A&M was back in the game, the Aggies were out of it.

Alabama added two Adam Griffith field goals to push the lead to 34-20 and, with the score at 34-23 with 5:18 remaining, Fitzpatrick again intercepted Allen and returned it 55 yards for a touchdown, giving Alabama its final score at 41-23.

For the game, Allen was 20-of-40 for 263 yards with a touchdown and three pick-sixes. Freshman Kyler Murray played sparingly, completing 2-of-4 passes for 21 yards and tossing in another interception. Texas A&M never established the run, credited with only 32 yards on the day. Tra Carson led the Aggies’ ground efforts with 13 carries for 46 yards.

Henry, meanwhile, totaled 32 carries for 236 yards and two touchdowns. It was the second-most rushing yards ever for an Alabama running back since Nick Saban‘s arrival and the most allowed by a Texas A&M defense since Texas’s Cedric Benson rumbled for 283 yards in 2003. Each member of the Aggie defensive line – primarily Garrett and defensive tackles Zaycoven Henderson and Daylon Mack – had their moments, but Henry still got his yards when Alabama needed them. Jake Coker added an economical 19-of-25 passing for 138 yards plus 13 rushing yards.

But, when Henry rumbles for 200-plus and the opposing quarterback throws more touchdowns for your team than his own, 150 yards is all you really need, isn’t it?

Bret Bielema reportedly interviewing for Colorado job

Bret Bielema is interviewing for the Colorado head coaching position, according to reports Monday from NFL Network and ESPN.

Bielema tried to get in on the Michigan State job that, obviously, went to Mel Tucker, so now he’s in the running for the job Tucker left.

The former Wisconsin and Arkansas head coach joined Bill Belichick‘s witness protection program after his 2017 Arkansas firing, working for a year as “consultant to the head coach” in New England. He was promoted to defensive line coach and reportedly told friends he was in the running to become the defensive coordinator after Greg Schiano stepped down, but Belichick wound up giving that job to himself.

He wound up following Joe Judge from Foxboro to the New York Giants, but now has apparently decided he’d rather be back in college than work as a position coach at the NFL level.

Bielema went 68-24 at Wisconsin before his 29-34 flameout at Arkansas. His teams famously stuck to a ground-and-pound philosophy that worked like peanut butter and jelly in Madison but peanut butter and salsa in Fayetteville. So, should Colorado be as interested in Bielema as he apparently is in them, his offensive philosophy would figure to be question one in the interview.

Mel Tucker reels in 3-star RB who delayed signing after Dantonio retirement

Mel Tucker secured his first signee over the weekend, which is impressive since he didn’t take the job until after the 2020 signing periods.

Jordon Simmons, a 3-star running back from Powder Springs, Ga., committed to Michigan State back in October but did not sign in the early period or the late period.

After Mark Dantonio‘s retirement the night before the February signing period, Simmons announced he would not sign with the Spartans the following day.

“Due to the unforeseen retirement of Coach Dantonio and after discussing things with my family, I have decided to delay my signing with Michigan State University until further notice,” he tweeted the night of Dantonio’s announcement. “I love everything that Michigan State has to offer and I appreciate the love and support that the fan base has shown me. However, with the uncertainty of the MSU program I have decided to take some time to weight out my options and think about where I will spend the next 4 years.”

After taking a couple weeks to consider his options and get to know his new head coach, Simmons inked with the Spartans once and for all.

The Simmons saga shows that, should players obtain a free release to play elsewhere if their head coach leaves in between the time they sign scholarship papers and their freshman seasons, most of those players would still wind up at their original school simply because they’d be out of options elsewhere.

Central Michigan CB Kyron McKinnie-Harper facing multiple charges, including pair of felonies

Central Michigan football