Disturbing details of Tim Beckman’s handling of injuries at Illinois released in report

8 Comments

Former Illinois head coach Tim Beckman was bad at his job, but now we have more of an idea of just how clueless and irresponsible he was as well. The details of a thorough investigation into the injury management within the Illinois football program under Beckman were released Monday morning by the University of Illinois and the firm hired to conduct the investigation. According to the report, Beckman did not believe in hamstring injuries, perhaps one of the more common injuries in football for as long as he has been coaching. Beckman would also hurl derogatory names and insults to players for receiving assistance from athletic trainers in addition to pressuring trainers to clear players before they were ultimately ready to play again.

“Coach Beckman supported student-athlete welfare in various respects, he also employed a wide array of motivational tactics directed primarily at players and athletic trainers that violated such standards and protocols in meaningful and systemic ways, the report says in its introduction. “Furthermore, to create room for new players joining the program for the spring 2015 semester, Coach Beckman caused four players to be pressured to relinquish their scholarships at the end of the fall 2014 semester against those players’ express wishes.”

Beckman came under fire for the way players with injuries were treated when complaints from former player Simon Cvijanovic popped up online. Cvijanovic suggested Beckman was a bully to injured players, and the report released today backs that up. Some conclusions made by the released report;

  • Coach Beckman attempted to instill a belief system in players to play through injuries and return too quickly from injuries to benefit the team by pressuring or influencing players not to report injuries or play through them;

  • Coach Beckman criticized players who sought medical treatment or were not playing because of injury with demeaning comments and other communication tactics

  • Coaches placed their medical judgment above that of physicians and led players to be misinformed regarding medical options and expected recovery time from injury

  • Coaches pressured athletic trainers to aggressively interpret physician diagnoses and player restrictions to return injured players to practice prematurely

  • Coaches influenced medical decisions in ways that prioritized the team over the individual player’s welfare

  • Delayed informing several redshirt juniors that they would not have a place on the football team after the fall 2014 semester

  • Pressured, harassed, and threatened such players to voluntarily relinquish their scholarships in December 2014

  • Retaliated against one player who challenged the requests that he not stay on campus through Spring 2015.

That’s not a good look for Beckman, and could be reason enough why we may not see him coaching again in any capacity for a while. Of course, Illinois also fired athletics director Mike Thomas today upon the release of this report. Thomas had previously stuck his neck out in defense of Beckman when the accusations were first made. Thomas later stepped back from his defense of Beckman when he fired the head coach just days before the first game of the season. Bill Cubit has been serving as the interim head coach of the Illini, and he has the program on the cusp of becoming eligible for postseason play. Cubit is mentioned a few times in the report as well, including one story where a former player felt Cubit was pressuring him not to take anti-anxiety medication, although another player aware of the interaction suggested the message delivered by Cubit was misinterpreted by the player and Cubit was actually lending support. The report says there is no indication Cubit said anything else inappropriate to any player and there is no evidence Cubit ever pressured any players regarding injury issues.

The report is quite thorough, at 1,267 pages with all of the supporting documents. You can read the full report, if you have the time, here.

Former Maryland, Kent State DB Qwuantrezz Knight will transfer to UCLA

UCLA football
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It’s not exactly a state secret that the UCLA football program has seen an abnormal amount of personnel attrition in the past few months.  The past couple of days, though, there’s been a mini reversal of that trend.

On Twitter Tuesday evening, Duke transfer running back Brittain Brown announced that he would be transferring into the UCLA football team.  Prior to that, however, Qwuantrezz Knight announced on his Twitter machine late last week that he too will transfer to UCLA football as well.

It had been confirmed earlier this month that Knight would be transferring from Kent State.  The cornerback began his collegiate career at Maryland before leaving that Big Ten school.

During the 2019 regular season, Knight led the Golden Flashes in tackles for loss with 10.5.  In Kent’s first-ever bowl win this past season, Knight was named as the game’s defensive MVP.

The move away from Kent was odd, if for nothing more than the struggle Knight went through just to see the field in 2019.

Leaving the Maryland Terrapins football program shortly after head coach DJ Durkin was fired amidst scandal in the midst of the 2018 season, Knight ultimately transferred to Kent State in January of last year.  Four months later, Knight filed an appeal with the NCAA for a waiver that would’ve granted him immediate eligibility, a waiver that cited “depression symptoms”; in early June, that initial waiver was denied.

Armed with the ability to appeal the original decision, Knight did as much and it proved successful as the MAC program confirmed in June of last year that the appeal was successful and the waiver granted.

Presumably, Knight will be leaving Kent and heading to UCLA as a graduate transfer.  That would allow him to play immediately at a third FBS school in 2020.

Stanford, BYU add four games to future series

Stanford football
Getty Images
Leave a comment

As we trudge deeper into the postseason, there’s some Stanford football scheduling news on which to chew.  And BYU, for that matter.

Way back in October of 2013, Stanford football and BYU announced a future four-game series that was set to begin in 2020.  With the first game in that series set to kick off 10 months from now, it was announced Wednesday that the same two football programs have agreed to another four-game series.

So, with today’s announcement, below is a look at what is now an eight-game series between Stanford football and BYU:

  • Nov. 28, 2020, at Stanford
  • Nov. 26, 2022, at Stanford
  • Sept. 13, 2025, at BYU
  • Nov. 28, 2026, at Stanford*
  • Nov. 25, 2028, at Stanford*
  • Sept. 1, 2029, at BYU
  • Aug. 30, 2031, at BYU*
  • Sept. 1, 2035, at BYU*

(*Games added through today’s extension)

As BYU noted in its release, kickoff times and television plans for the games will be determined and announced during the scheduled seasons.

The two schools have met twice previously in football.  The Cardinal beat the Cougars 18-14 in Provo in 2003, then beat them 37-10 at home on The Farm the following season.

Excluding the eight-game series with Stanford football, BYU now has 15 future games with Pac-12 schools scheduled through the 2028 season:

  • Utah (2020, 2021, 2024, 2026, 2027, 2028)
  • Arizona State (2020, 2021)
  • Arizona (2021, 2026, 2027)
  • Washington State (2021)
  • USC (2021, 2023)
  • Oregon (2022)

The 2021 game against Arizona, it should be noted, will be played in Las Vegas.

TCU transfer QB Justin Rogers tweets move to UNLV

TCU football
Getty Images
Leave a comment

A prized former signee of the TCU football program has unofficially found a new collegiate home.

In very early November, it was confirmed that Justin Rogers had entered the NCAA transfer database, the first step in a move away from the TCU football team.  Nearly three months later, Rogers took the second step by announcing on his personal Twitter account that he has committed to continuing his playing career at UNLV.

Rogers’ announcement came after he took a visit to the UNLV campus this past weekend.

Barring something unexpected, Rogers will have to sit out the 2020 season to satisfy NCAA transfer bylaws.  That would then leave him with two years of eligibility, starting with the 2021 season.

However, that 2020 door isn’t completely closed as Rogers is expected to pursue a waiver from the NCAA.  Just what that waiver appeal would entail is unclear.

A four-star 2018 signee, Rogers was rated as the No. 3 dual-threat quarterback in the country; the No. 3 player at any position in the state of Louisiana; and the No. 43 recruit overall on 247Sports.com‘s composite board.  He was the highest-rated member of the Horned Frogs’ class that year.

Rogers suffered a severe knee injury during his senior year of high school that ultimately led to a case of drop-foot for the player as a true freshman in college.  The recovery from those ongoing issues contributed to Rogers’ positioning deep down on the depth chart, which, ultimately, triggered his decision to enter the portal.

Rogers did make one appearance as a true freshman, completing his only pass attempt in TCU’s Cheez-It Bowl win over Cal.  He hadn’t seen the field at all this past season.

Pitt mourns passing of Chris Doleman following ‘prolonged and courageous battle against cancer’

Pitt football
Getty Images
2 Comments

The extended Pitt football family is grieving the loss of one of its own.

Late Tuesday night, it was confirmed that Chris Doleman, 58, had passed away following “a prolonged and courageous battle against cancer.” Two years ago this month, Doleman had undergone surgery to remove a brain tumor.

Doleman played his college football at Pitt from 1981-84.  From the school’s release:

Doleman finished his college career third all-time at Pitt with 25 sacks, a total that still ranks eighth nearly four decades later. He played in the Sugar, Cotton and Fiesta bowl games, while helping the Panthers earn three Top 20 finishes, including a No. 2 ranking in 1981 and No. 9 finish in 1982.

As a senior, Doleman was elected a Pitt tri-captain with linebacker Troy Benson and offensive tackle Bill Fralic. In addition to his immense athletic gifts, the 6-foot-5 Doleman also set a standard with his desire and relentless play.

The late Foge Fazio, Doleman’s defensive coordinator in 1981 before serving as head coach from 1982-85, said: “Sometimes we’ll stop the game film just to point out to the team Chris’ desire and hustle to get there.

In December of 2018, Fralic passed away at the age of 56.

“I had only been at Pitt for a few months when I first met Chris and he could not have been more supportive and enthusiastic about the University of Pittsburgh,” said Pitt football head coach Pat Narduzzi in a statement. “It was obvious that he took great pride in being a Panther. I remember we had him as our honorary captain when we played at Georgia Tech one year and he was so energetic with our kids. You know he wanted to put on that Pitt helmet one more time. Our deepest sympathies to the Doleman family. His passing is a great loss for all of us, but his memory and legacy, on and off the field, will never be forgotten.

The fourth-overall pick in the 1985 NFL Draft by the Minnesota Vikings, Doleman was enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2012.