AP Photo/Jonathan Bachman

Former Texas A&M QB Kyle Allen transferring to Houston

Texas A&M’s loss appears to be Houston’s gain. Kyle Allen, who recently decided to leave Texas A&M and pursue other options, appears to be heading to Houston to join the American Athletic Conference champions and quarterback-whisperer Tom Herman. The Houston Chronicle reported the transfer news Tuesday.

Per NCAA transfer rules, Allen will be forced to sit out the 2016 season, but that suits Houston perfectly. Houston brings back dual-threat quarterback Greg Ward Jr. for his senior season next fall. This gives Allen a chance to sit a season and learn the Houston system while sitting out with a redshirt season. Then, in 2017, Allen will likely be primed and ready to take over the offense at Houston. Allen will still have two years of eligibility remaining with him for the 2017 and 2018 seasons.

Allen, a sophomore in 2015, passed for 2,210 yards and 17 touchdowns for the Aggies this season but opted to leave the program shortly before the bowl game. Texas A&M also lost Kyler Murray, who has just been reported to be heading to Oklahoma in 2016. Texas A&M will be welcoming former Sooners quarterback Trevor Knight to fill the vacancy at quarterback.

At Houston, Ward will continue to be Houston’s starter in 2016 after passing for 2,828 yards and 17 touchdowns and rushing for 1,108 yards and 21 touchdowns. With Ward leading the offense, Houston went 14-1 with the AAC championship and a victory over Florida State in the Peach Bowl.

The only question left to answer is whether or not Herman will still be the head coach at Houston by the time Allen is projected to get a chance to start in 2017. Herman continues to be an attractive name and another good showing in 2016 will keep him mentioned as a possibility for a number of opportunities to open up in the college football coaching world a year from now.

For Chase Brice, USF would make for a familiar landing spot

Chase Brice