Backup QB Eddie Printz leaving Mizzou as grad transfer

With Maty Mauk‘s status up in the air because of lingering off-field issues, Missouri has seen some definitive movement of another piece of its quarterbacks room.

A school spokesperson confirmed to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that Eddie Printz has decided to leave the Mizzou football program and continue his playing career elsewhere.  No reason has been given for the redshirt sophomore’s decision.

Printz will end up being the latest graduate transfer quarterback, meaning the Georgia native would be eligible to play in 2016 if he chooses another FBS program.  As an added bonus, Printz will have two years of eligibility remaining.

A three-star member of the Tigers’ 2013 recruiting class, Printz was rated as the No. 32 pro-style quarterback in the country and the No. 58 player at any position in the state of Georgia.  Prior to choosing Mizzou, Printz held offers from, among others, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida State and UCLA.

After taking a redshirt as a true freshman, Printz attempted one pass the past two seasons.  He was also the holder on extra point and field goal attempts.

With Printz out of the mix, Mizzou is down to two, possibly three scholarship quarterbacks.  Drew Lock was the starting quarterback for the final two-thirds of the 2015 season, and will enter spring practice as the favorite to win the starting.  Marvin Zanders, listed as a co-No. 2 along with Printz after Lock became the starter, is the second scholarship quarterback still on the roster.  The third?  Maty Mauk, the starter in 2014 as well as the beginning of 2015 whose Mizzou career is seemingly hanging by a thread because of a propensity for the nose candy (allegedly).

Mauk’s teammates, however, have come to the quarterback’s defense.  Still, Mauk remains indefinitely suspended — his third suspension the last four months — as the university looks into the video that surfaced on Twitter earlier this week.